• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Gibson Les Paul Custom Or Gibson Flying V Custom

What should I get?

• Les Paul Custom

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Flying V Custom

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Benjamin isaacs

Reaction score
my two guitars a Jackson KV2 King V and Ibanez RG652FX are in B Standard tuning and I use to them Death Metal, Grindcore and Doom Metal etc. But I’ve left myself short as I don’t have a guitar in standard tuning for regular music and old school punk and Dearh Metal, I’m thinking of either getting the Gibson Les Paul Custom or the Gibson Flying V Custom, I’m slightly learning more towards the Gibson Flying V Custom as its slightly cheaper, it’s more unique and its limited to 200 made world wide so it could become a collectors thing in the future, what would you personally buy?

harleytech

Reaction score
I'd go for the "V"...
Because of what you have stated...
JMHO...

BanditPanda

Reaction score
my two guitars a Jackson KV2 King V and Ibanez RG652FX are in B Standard tuning and I use to them Death Metal, Grindcore and Doom Metal etc. But I’ve left myself short as I don’t have a guitar in standard tuning for regular music and old school punk and Dearh Metal, I’m thinking of either getting the Gibson Les Paul Custom or the Gibson Flying V Custom, I’m slightly learning more towards the Gibson Flying V Custom as its slightly cheaper, it’s more unique and its limited to 200 made world wide so it could become a collectors thing in the future, what would you personally buy?

I would go for the V also keeping in mind that it apparently is quite awkward to play while sitting.( or so I have read)

BanditPanda

Reaction score

Have you looked at the 2017 TV Flying V ?.At least it has a rosewood fretboard and Custombuckers. Kluson tulip tuners. Missing the great Custom Block Pearl inlays of the Custom though.
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Flying-V-Custom.aspx

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Flying-V-Mahogany-TV.aspx

BP

Benjamin isaacs

Reaction score
It’s the first one I want, I don’t do rosewood fretboards, unless they’re really dark.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Why is that?

Well, there are a couple of reasons. If you already have the bug for a Les Paul, then it's not going to go away until you go through that relationship. It could very well be that the Flying V is a better guitar for you in the long run, but if you bring one home first, it's almost certain that you'll instinctively go back to watching youtube videos of LPC's w/in a couple of weeks. You may find that it's not the right guitar for you, but the wondering will never go away until you find that out for yourself. The second reason is that I think it casts a better balance from what you already have from the standpoint being a more 'traditional' guitar, and that you already own a V shaped guitar (not that the jackson is the same as the gibson, but you get my point). My gut feeling tells me you'll wind up owning both at some point (even if you keep just one), so I'd just start w/the LP and go from there.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score

Yeah, I agree.

I once had an audition where I played an early 80's Dean cherry flamed Flying V.

I thought I aced it.

WRONG..........I could swear that these guys were turned off by the shape of my guitar.

I have both.

My 335; Tele and Gretsch Duo Jet get the audition nod these days.

anitoli

Reaction score
LP. The V is not going to give you the same tonality as the LP. The maple top gives the LP a much brighter tone in the upper mids than an all mahogony body. But that said i need to ask what would your real intentions be for the V, a player or an investment? Speculating that a limited run guitar is going to bring a return on investment considering the price of admission is quite high seems risky.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

"This" LPC :
http://www.marshallforum.com/thread...eauty-reissue-prehistoric.98473/#post-1650311
EqBWFQS.jpg

Latest posts