Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded

• Thread starter Unknown3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown3

Reaction score
3955597277.jpg

Been selling a few things to get a small tube combo amp, but those things can wait when you find a guitar like this. See, a Standard Faded that has a GOOD-looking finish (as they're very hit or miss, judging from other ugly SF's I've seen) looks better than the regular LP Standard. And they're cheaper. This one goes for exactly 10,000 SEK which is about 1,300 USD. I think $1,300 is pretty good. I just might be able to push down the price a hundred or two, we'll see.

I'm really thinking about this. This is nice. This is good. The only problem is, I don't really have the money for it so I might have to borrow from a friend, and then I'll have to take as many shifts as I can to revive my economy, but it'd be damn worth it. The guy bought it in 2006. It's got a 60's neck profile. Comes with certificate of authenticity (or whatever it's called) but I'll ask for a serial number anyway. Also comes with a hardcase. I'll ask for more pictures but he claims it's in mint condition save for a few small scratches on the back. of the body.

Anything I should think about when checking in and trying this guitar?

I should post this in the MLP forums, too...

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
View attachment 3382

Been selling a few things to get a small tube combo amp, but those things can wait when you find a guitar like this. See, a Standard Faded that has a GOOD-looking finish (as they're very hit or miss, judging from other ugly SF's I've seen) looks better than the regular LP Standard. And they're cheaper. This one goes for exactly 10,000 SEK which is about 1,300 USD. I think $1,300 is pretty good. I just might be able to push down the price a hundred or two, we'll see.

I'm really thinking about this. This is nice. This is good. The only problem is, I don't really have the money for it so I might have to borrow from a friend, and then I'll have to take as many shifts as I can to revive my economy, but it'd be damn worth it. The guy bought it in 2006. It's got a 60's neck profile. Comes with certificate of authenticity (or whatever it's called) but I'll ask for a serial number anyway. Also comes with a hardcase. I'll ask for more pictures but he claims it's in mint condition save for a few small scratches on the back. of the body.

Anything I should think about when checking in and trying this guitar?

I should post this in the MLP forums, too...

I own one also, best LP I've ever played (Including the CS reissues) I've seen a lot of dudes sell their R7's and buy one of these. And they are all happy with it, happier than with their R7's! I'd definately go for it!

Unknown3

Reaction score
Talk about high maintenance. Turns out train tickets to stockholm are bloody expensive now, not to mention that I have to time it so I don't skip work (that is not acceptable) and he has got to have time, too. I managed to find some cheap tickets, as I'd rather not pay 10% of what the guitar costs on tickets. So I'm going up on Monday right after work, August 30th and be back August 31st. 12 hours on the train, but it'll hopefully be worth it. Now the problem is I gotta muster up enough cash. Gonna start calling some friends now.

SO! What should I keep in mind when I go and try the guitar?

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Talk about high maintenance. Turns out train tickets to stockholm are bloody expensive now, not to mention that I have to time it so I don't skip work (that is not acceptable) and he has got to have time, too. I managed to find some cheap tickets, as I'd rather not pay 10% of what the guitar costs on tickets. So I'm going up on Monday right after work, August 30th and be back August 31st. 12 hours on the train, but it'll hopefully be worth it. Now the problem is I gotta muster up enough cash. Gonna start calling some friends now.

SO! What should I keep in mind when I go and try the guitar?

I'd look at it's condition, playability, neck straightness, and sound. And I'd ask the seller to open it so you could see if the electronics are okeay.

Unknown3

Reaction score
I'd look at it's condition, playability, neck straightness, and sound. And I'd ask the seller to open it so you could see if the electronics are okeay.

Neck straightness is something I'm unaware of. How should a neck in good shape look like?

Also, I doubt he'd open the guitar. Very, very few people seem to be able to do that. Unless I'm misinterpreting what you mean by "opening". Do you mean that small black lid screwed in the back? That shouldn't be a problem. Although it wouldn't do me much good, I'm not well-versed when it comes to electronics, I'd just check to see that no wire appears to be cut or damaged, things like that.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
#1Neck straightness is something I'm unaware of. How should a neck in good shape look like?

#2Do you mean that small black lid screwed in the back? That shouldn't be a problem. Although it wouldn't do me much good, I'm not well-versed when it comes to electronics, I'd just check to see that no wire appears to be cut or damaged, things like that.

1#Point the headstock to your face and hold your eyes/face close to the headstock. Then look at the binding. It it looks straight with a slight bit of relief or if it's just straight. It's okeay. If it has a slight front bow it's okeay also. Oh and btw, relief means a slight back bow.

If the guitar is buzzing, and/or the 12th fret isn't exactly the same note on one or more of the strings as the open string it's set up wrong, the that's all, no big deal at all, but please let a pro set the guitar up, don't do it yourself if you don't know what you are doing. So you don't screw it up, I've seen that too many times...

#2 Yes. That's what I meant, exactly.

Unknown3

Reaction score
That's great advice about the neck, I did not know that! Makes me want to go check my current guitar at home just to check if it's alright. I'm going to try checking out the electronics on that, too (if I'm going to open a guitar, I want the first time to be on my own guitar and not someone else's, they might not quite appreciate if they notice that I'm a total newb at it).

Anyway, he sent a few pics. There's a slight ding on the headstock at the right bottom egde near the high E-string. There's also some sort of crack or other form of "damage" on the side/edge of the back body. I'm going to check up the serial number now to make sure it's authentic.

DSC_4002.jpg

DSC_4012.jpg

Beautiful guitar otherwise:

DSC_4010.jpg

Got the money issue sorted out as well, so the only thing remaining is to check if it plays well or not, and if the guitar is in otherwise good condition.

S/N: 031360448.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
That's great advice about the neck, I did not know that! Makes me want to go check my current guitar at home just to check if it's alright. I'm going to try checking out the electronics on that, too (if I'm going to open a guitar, I want the first time to be on my own guitar and not someone else's, they might not quite appreciate if they notice that I'm a total newb at it).

Anyway, he sent a few pics. There's a slight ding on the headstock at the right bottom egde near the high E-string. There's also some sort of crack or other form of "damage" on the side/edge of the back body. I'm going to check up the serial number now to make sure it's authentic.

View attachment 3383

View attachment 3384

Beautiful guitar otherwise:

View attachment 3385

Got the money issue sorted out as well, so the only thing remaining is to check if it plays well or not, and if the guitar is in otherwise good condition.

S/N: 031360448.

Looks fine! Go for it!! The crack ain't no crack I think. Juct a (deep) scratch. Mine looks a lot worse when you look at it closely. So the crack is no biggy.

trobdcso

Reaction score
If is plays good, feels good, sounds good, priced well, buy the fucker.

Unknown3

Reaction score
Ordered the tickets, got the money transferred, all questions that I had have been answered. Nothing left for me to do other than waiting for August 31st. That's sort of ironic. The last summer month ends, and the last month I'll be LP-less. First day of the first autumn month on the second decade of the second millennium, I get to own one (assuming I do decide I like the guitar).

Okay so I overdid that but whatever. Thanks for all the help guys! Gotta get my ass to work in a few, I'll be practically BROKE after this, haha! Gotta re-earn that green!

Unknown3

Reaction score
Assuming it's chambered, has anyone tried a chambered Les Paul? My Eclipse is a full thickness mahogany body guitar, so I'm used to its heavy weight. In that respect, I would welcome a chambered Les Paul. It won't be neck heavy though, will it? I hate it when the head wants to drop to the floor. I want to be able to let go of the guitar and have it hang diagonally with the body leaning towards the floor (and not the other way around).

longfxukxnhair

Reaction score
Assuming it's chambered, has anyone tried a chambered Les Paul? My Eclipse is a full thickness mahogany body guitar, so I'm used to its heavy weight. In that respect, I would welcome a chambered Les Paul. It won't be neck heavy though, will it? I hate it when the head wants to drop to the floor. I want to be able to let go of the guitar and have it hang diagonally with the body leaning towards the floor (and not the other way around).

It wont be neck heavy. I own one and its a great guitar. I may be wrong but I believe the SF is weight relieved.

Unknown3

Reaction score
Oh well in that case, as long as it sounds right and feels right, I don't care.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
My Studio Mahogany is weight-relieved (not chambered) and it plays oh so sweet...

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score

Mine is a late 2007 model SF in cherry burst, and cherry bursts were not chambered or weight-reliefed back then. Chambers are pretty cool though. They give you some very nice wood resonance/sustain. I belevevthe SF's are weight-reliefed though. Wich is a good thing, best of both worlds. Long live the swiss cheese hole syndrom!

Unknown3

Reaction score
I'm just letting you know that I may not be around the first week to tell you about the guitar seeing as my parents will, with 100% certainty, flip out and bitch and fight and harass me full-time, any chance they get :D That's the price I have to pay for brinding home a $1,300 guitar. And I'm 20, go figure!

My parents don't really listen to music. They are that boring :)

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
I'm just letting you know that I may not be around the first week to tell you about the guitar seeing as my parents will, with 100% certainty, flip out and bitch and fight and harass me full-time, any chance they get :D That's the price I have to pay for brinding home a $1,300 guitar. And I'm 20, go figure!

My parents don't really listen to music. They are that boring :)

Wrong! The price you have to pay for a 1300$ guitar is 1300$:D

Just kiddin'.... Sorry, I just had 2.