Gibson Les Paul Standard (issue)

• Thread starter Woody81
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

loveboat

Reaction score
When you pull on the strings you do not stretch them. You make them wind themselves tighter around the pegs and seats it tighter in the tail piece. Which makes it hold tuning better and faster.

Adwex

Reaction score
When you pull on the strings you do not stretch them. You make them wind themselves tighter around the pegs and seats it tighter in the tail piece. Which makes it hold tuning better and faster.

This is true, but they do also stretch a little.

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
My Les Paul Standard 2002 doesn't have this issue (yet)
Sometimes I think it's the only guitar I have that stays in tune - but - that's just been my experience

hbach

Reaction score
I just cut a new nut and put new saddles with neatly cut and polished slots into my 93 LP Classic. That did a LOT to improve tuning stability and ease and precision when tuning.

societyincorporated

Reaction score
I just cut a new nut and put new saddles with neatly cut and polished slots into my 93 LP Classic. That did a LOT to improve tuning stability and ease and precision when tuning.

I think this is the correct answer! NO one like a bad nut job! With my tuning problems as I down tune the string will hold and then slip.

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
Try using the method below when putting on strings. I use it and it works perfectly.

The proper way to restring a guitar by Bill Baker - YouTube

PURE GOLD...
The three finger rule is a nice touch - I have now added that to my stringing technique as though I came up with it myself (which I'm really good at doing)
Give me a good idea and I'll call it my own in two weeks
So for the sake of brevity - I'll just take credit for that right now
That way you don't have to wait two weeks for me to claim it

:D

loveboat

Reaction score
Yeah colchar, that's the way i string too. No need to make it more complicated than that.

colchar

Reaction score
PURE GOLD...
The three finger rule is a nice touch - I have now added that to my stringing technique as though I came up with it myself (which I'm really good at doing)
Give me a good idea and I'll call it my own in two weeks
So for the sake of brevity - I'll just take credit for that right now
That way you don't have to wait two weeks for me to claim it

:D

I go just slightly under three fingers myself but, other than that, I follow his technique and it works a charm. I stretch the strings but probably not as much as I should but, even with that, it only takes a day for them to settle in and there are no tuning issues from then on.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
I do my strings the same way, but whether I use three fingers or two depends on how tall the tuning post is. On my Gibson LPC, the tuning posts are short, so for the low-E string, I used 2. The other 5 strings got 3 fingers.

And I don't stretch my strings...ever. I'm patient enough to play it for a few days and let the guitar's neck stretch the strings out. After the 3rd day, the strings are rock on and only a change in temperature will change the pitch.

On a side note, for all of my electric guitar strings, the G-string is unwound. But for my acoustic (which gets .12s), the G-string is wound...pretty much every acoustic I've seen is like this. Just thought I'd share.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I strtch mine and no issues but i don't use Gibson LP's anymore. I had issues with all of mine as well and i've owned a few.

you need a nut replacement and setup from the sound of it. sounds like the nut's not cut right but intonation and setup are paramount.