Gibson LP tribute vs SGJ differences?

• Thread starter mrjones2004x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
So I’ve seen a Gibson SGJ 2013 for sale fairly local I’m interested in (£450 ish) but I already have a Gibson lp tribute 2020.
Both have 490r & 490t pickups so will there be much difference in sound? Don’t really need two guitars that sound very similar. I do famcy a Tony iommi kinda vibe. I know the feel will be much different and I haven’t had an sg for many years now. Can’t really drag my amp over easily and a/b them.
Main differences I see is body shape. Solid body sg all mahogany and neck compared to my tribute which is modern weight relieved maple/mahogany with maple neck

So the 2013 version is the one with the kluson black tuner heads and black pickup covers that look a little like actives. After 2013 if I’m correct they removed the covers and changed the tuners to a more tradition type.

His:

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
will there be much difference in sound?
I can't quite compare my SG to that SGJ, but I'd suspect a noticeable difference to your Tribute.
My SG has '57's and it sounds very different from my Tribute (490's) - I don't think it's just the pups.
Pickups are a fairy easy change, and you could lose those covers or change the tuner knobs even easier.
That's a good price (about $500 USD today...) for an SGJ regardless.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I can't quite compare my SG to that SGJ, but I'd suspect a noticeable difference to your Tribute.
My SG has '57's and it sounds very different from my Tribute (490's) - I don't think it's just the pups.
Pickups are a fairy easy change, and you could lose those covers or change the tuner knobs even easier.
That's a good price (about $500 USD today...) for an SGJ regardless.

I love the look. The tuners and covers are so different that’s kinda why I like the look. Also satin finished no bling that’s my thing.

I was just hoping it’ll sound fairly different to the tribute for obvious reasons.

My tribute and special tribute acoustically sound miles apart. Special has p90s so I can’t compare amplified sounds but special is slab body mahogany and maple neck and is warm and resonant and tribute is bright and loud, rings for ages. But….. the special kills it amplified 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Don’t really have space for more but I could put tele on a stand and Evh in the glass case 🤔

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the look. The tuners and covers are so different that’s kinda why I like the look. Also satin finished no bling that’s my thing.

I was just hoping it’ll sound fairly different to the tribute for obvious reasons.

My tribute and special tribute acoustically sound miles apart. Special has p90s so I can’t compare amplified sounds but special is slab body mahogany and maple neck and is warm and resonant and tribute is bright and loud, rings for ages. But….. the special kills it amplified 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Don’t really have space for more but I could put tele on a stand and Evh in the glass case 🤔

My faded SG sounds quite a bit different than my Tribute .. both are no bling instrument’s, but I sadly no longer possess my Tribute.

Mitch

Latest posts