My next project...LP Tribute - take two

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What?

Reaction score
I'm going to strip it back down and then it's probably going in the dumpster.

Don't do it man. I would just take a break from it for a bit and come back my a fresh perspective. Worst case, take it someone else.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what's going on right now. What is this whole thread about? What's the narrative?

What?

Reaction score
I would keep swapping pickups until you find the right ones for that guitar. I have had pickups sound great in one guitar and like shit in another. And then find the right pickups and the guitar sounds great.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I would keep swapping pickups until you find the right ones for that guitar. I have had pickups sound great in one guitar and like shit in another. And then find the right pickups and the guitar sounds great.
I've been swapping pickups in this guitar for 11 years, completely rewired it at least 5 times if not more trying all the different versions, pot's caps and anything else you can think of. I get what your saying, but I've been there done that for far to long. There comes a point in any rocky relationship when you have to say enough is enough and this is it. I'm done.

What?

Reaction score
I've been swapping pickups in this guitar for 11 years, completely rewired it at least 5 times if not more trying all the different versions, pot's caps and anything else you can think of. I get what your saying, but I've been there done that for far to long. There comes a point in any rocky relationship when you have to say enough is enough and this is it. I'm done.

Oh shit. Yea, I would be where you are too after 11 years. That's a loong time to be trying to make a guitar work.

What?

Reaction score
I honestly believe it has something to do with the swiss cheese weight relief they did on these things back then. My 2021 Tribute has modern weight relief and it just sings.

So what's the the major sound anomaly with it?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
So what's the the major sound anomaly with it?
It's very dark and muffled sounding. It sustains great, but it doesn't sing, it just lays there. Pickups that sound great in other guitars sound like ass in this one. This last experiment proved that once again. It's very hard to explain other than that.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Something totally out of the box then, might be a set of Fishman Fluence Classics. Nothing to lose.

What bridges have you tried? I know that bridges have a say on "sing" in Les Pauls.

Turn it into a wall clock?

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Something totally out of the box then, might be a set of Fishman Fluence Classics. Nothing to lose.

What bridges have you tried? I know that bridges have a say on "sing" in Les Pauls.

Turn it into a wall clock?
I'm not spending any more money on it, I've spent way too much already. This was the last straw. A wall clock isn't a bad idea. :hmm:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm not spending any more money on it, I've spent way too much already. This was the last straw. A wall clock isn't a bad idea. :hmm:
Put it back together and sell it off for whatever you can get, its a dud, write it off as such.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hang on. I didn't take into account that this thing set for months with no string tension. It sounds (and plays) a little better today. The action actually raised a little over night so I know the neck is still getting used to the tension. I'll give it some time to settle in before I give up on it. I was really frustrated last night so maybe I spoke too soon. It won't be the first time I've had to eat my words.

Latest posts