My next project...LP Tribute - take two

• Thread starter DirtySteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Something else I found today. I put the wrong nut on it. I thought I put the same nut on it that I took off, but it wasn't and I never questioned it because I was sure. The nut I put on it was cut slightly too low and I got them mixed up some how. So I put the right nut on it and it's much better. I've been tweaking the set up and pickups and it's starting to sound pretty good. I can definitely tell that the high fret was a big part of my problem with it. No telling how long it's been like that. I think it needs some brighter pickups, I might try something else.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Something else I found today. I put the wrong nut on it. I thought I put the same nut on it that I took off, but it wasn't and I never questioned it because I was sure. The nut I put on it was cut slightly too low and I got them mixed up some how. So I put the right nut on it and it's much better. I've been tweaking the set up and pickups and it's starting to sound pretty good. I can definitely tell that the high fret was a big part of my problem with it. No telling how long it's been like that. I think it needs some brighter pickups, I might try something else.
Yeah, that could be a big part of it. A poorly cut nut will cause problems with clean fretting and playing in tune, up and down the fret board. Bar chords might sound in tune while chords with open strings will sound bad, or the other way.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that could be a big part of it. A poorly cut nut will cause problems with clean fretting and playing in tune, up and down the fret board. Bar chords might sound in tune while chords with open strings will sound bad, or the other way.
Yeah, it was Homer Simpson "doh!" moment when I realized it.

Latest posts