Gibson price rant

• Thread starter bill0287
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I can't see the money for the Gibson name, I buy Epiphone, I have a Heritage Bird's eye maple top sunburst, it's screamingist guitar I ever touched, The Epi Firebird I got is equal in it's screamin' ability. I got another Epi Les Paul 2 that is pretty low in volume but it plays nice, It had a acoustic pick up in the nect right about the last fret. You can blend the sound, it's also stereo. I have an Explorer too it plays nicely too.
Lower end Epis often have flame photo finishes laminated onto wood. Apparently many lower priced guitars do this. There are some reasons why Gibby is more money.
Not saying this is so in your case.

Ranger

Reaction score
For the last 20 years, people have complained about the (sometimes serious) quality problems with Gibson guitars, which IMO was justified. They just weren't that great. However, since 2019, the quality has been at an extraordinarily high level, like never before. The CS models in particular have set the bar very high and don't need to hide from the holy grail vintage years. And now everyone expects the prices to be in the cheap sector? Especially in view of the current economic circumstances? Come on guys!

Since then I have bought several new CS and Murphy Lab Les Pauls in the 5k - 10k range, which I never did before. I have always opted for used ones. I have not regretted a single purchase. There are many great Strat copies I would consider alternatives. But no one else does the Les Paul thing quite like Gibson.

I am neither rich nor a rock star. My work probably goes beyond what a hobbyist does though.

SongRider

Reaction score
You get what you pay for... The majority of Gibson guitars are awesome... There was a few periods over the years the quality did not reach the price point but overall they are FANTASTIC guitars that hold their value pretty good. They ARE expensive... I get that... so are ALL USA made guitars... PRS, Fender and Jackson... Its the cost of admission... If they were not worth it then so many people would not be playing them OR like you wanting one so bad... Buy the guitar you want and you will be happy. :)

RED4100

Reaction score
This topic has been "done to death" It makes me laugh every time. I'm not a rockstar or a rich nobobdy and I have many high end guitars, Custom Shop Gibson's and Fender's, boutique amps, and vintage collectables. What it boils down to is very simple... If you want something then go get it, it's not easy sometimes but if you have a decent job and budget accordingly then it can be done, and if you don't have a decent job then you should work on your priorities.

I hear a lot of crying about them being too expensive, luckily I can plug my Gibson into my Marshall and turn it up.

Portablefrank

Reaction score
Well I am not rich. But “Rich nobodies” come on man!

Anyway if you have the funds just do it. I bought a standard during lockdown. No regrets. They can charge a premium for a reason. That reason being: you will enjoy playing it and looking at it.

G

Also agreed, I bought a HCS and a GT last year because (despite many years of trying) I couldn’t decide which finish I prefer and I don’t regret this decision. That said, the quality control compared to my ‘08 Firebird V wasn’t great and the price of the GT has since been put up by £600 🤯

if you’re like me, that itch will only be scratched when you have the real thing.

image0.jpeg

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all just numbers. You'll probably find the amount of work you need to do to earn the required amount of money to buy a Gibson is about the same or even less than it was 40 years ago.
They have never been cheap.
What is astonishing is the Epiphone Alex Lifeson model LP is 1300 quid here in the U.K.
😳

ssolo8

Reaction score
Yes, I know this has been done to death, but I just can't... I have been jonesin' for a Gold top LP for a while now (I should have bought one years ago), but every time I look at the 3K price tag I can't help but feel I am being taken advantage of. One of the reasons LPS are pricey is supposed to be the highly figured maple top, right?... which on a Gold top, is covered by paint, so why is the GT not cheaper than the other LPs, since the maple top is less of a selling point?

And what's with LP customs being in the 5, 6, 7+ thousand dollar range? I mean, WTF? Who's buying these besides rock stars and rich nobodies?

I could get 4 Epi LP standards for the price of one Gibson? Seriously, what is going on with Gibson?

I'm sorry. I just had to vent.
I feel exactly the same way as you.
I bought TWO Epiphone Les Paul customs. The new ones that are off the chain, for 1500 bucks. I would have barely scored a stripped down Gibson studio for that much. I'm not one for name brands, especially when I can score all the same features that I want for one fourth of the price. I have nothing to prove to anybody in my old age.

Kutt

Reaction score
Here's the long game these manufacturers are playing- They want to produce either all import products (usually from Asia) and get much larger profit margins for them and/or they want to run custom shop type operations where they can fetch 10k+ per guitar. I am convinced the ultimately want to eliminate the American Standard / mid-range USA level regular production guitars all together. They are well on their way to doing it.

I saw Jackson heading that way about 10 years ago and they have arrived. If it's not custom shop level you get no hardshell case and you get sub-par tonewood, at least by previous standards. A casual look and you will now see Chinese and Korean-made guitars at the $1,500 - $2,000 price point. Unfucking believable. Don't buy them. Let them rot in warehouses.

It's been a slow boil frog scenario for years now where they are desensitizing the consumer, but hey the kiddos think their $1,300 Chinese Epiphone is the greatest thing ever. They have no idea what a guitar made of quality tonewoods sounds like. Desensitization complete. Coffers full.

1689244331467.png 1689244348709.png 1689244389758.png

Last edited:

Doug63

Reaction score
Yes, I know this has been done to death, but I just can't... I have been jonesin' for a Gold top LP for a while now (I should have bought one years ago), but every time I look at the 3K price tag I can't help but feel I am being taken advantage of. One of the reasons LPS are pricey is supposed to be the highly figured maple top, right?... which on a Gold top, is covered by paint, so why is the GT not cheaper than the other LPs, since the maple top is less of a selling point?

And what's with LP customs being in the 5, 6, 7+ thousand dollar range? I mean, WTF? Who's buying these besides rock stars and rich nobodies?

I could get 4 Epi LP standards for the price of one Gibson? Seriously, what is going on with Gibson?

you're Welcome

Musicmaniac

Reaction score
If you're patient you can find a nice R7 for around $3000.
100-1553-2.jpg

p3x

Reaction score
Sweetwater has two Standard GTs listed in their Demo Sale.
Both equipped with P-90s:

1689257418612.png

Bill Kearns

Reaction score

I don't know why people can't wrap their brain around the fact that instruments that are handmade in the United States cost a lot more than those made in China. The pay rates of the luthiers are much higher. And regards to the custom shop you have a lot more hands-on by your luthier and handcrafted rather than CNC machines. I work at IT and I can tell you that I get paid a lot more than the guys that are doing the same job in India. Things cost more in the United States get over it.

Kutt

Reaction score
I don't know why people can't wrap their brain around the fact that instruments that are handmade in the United States cost a lot more than those made in China. The pay rates of the luthiers are much higher. And regards to the custom shop you have a lot more hands-on by your luthier and handcrafted rather than CNC machines. I work at IT and I can tell you that I get paid a lot more than the guys that are doing the same job in India. Things cost more in the United States get over it.
Their prices jump by *hundreds* at a time. Not $50. Not $100. Standards were $2,300 about 3 years ago. Now they are $3,000. Yes, the U.S.-made thing needs to be taken into consideration. But greedflation has it's sticky fingers at play here and that's what irks people.

mojodelic

Reaction score
May not be the answer to your question, I assume you're referring to LP standards, but I sold a 2016T Classic goldtop a few years ago & have always regretted it. Some may say it's "less than" but you couldn't prove it by me. '57 classics, weight relieved, etc but killer tone & great playability.

TBH yes I own an LP STD, a '61 SG reissue, and a 12 year old ES-339, all of which have crazy increased in value since I got them. I'm 65 and no way I could've afforded what I have when I was younger. I totally get it, it's frustrating & the last thing you need is some geezer saying "just be patient". Everything has gone up exponentially in the last few years, I hope you're able to find what you need at a fair price. One thing that has helped me was the 48 month financing Sweetwater & others offer from time to time. Good luck to you.

bill0287

Reaction score
Their prices jump by *hundreds* at a time. Not $50. Not $100. Standards were $2,300 about 3 years ago. Now they are $3,000. Yes, the U.S.-made thing needs to be taken into consideration. But greedflation has it's sticky fingers at play here and that's what irks people.
This is true.

The pay rate for these "luthiers" hasn't jumped enough to justify the price increase. These guitars are substantially made by machines too. And I think there is a definitely "made in America uptick" that people buy into. Yes, they do make more money in the USA, but it's the jump from past prices that are hard to wrap my head around.

jeffb

Reaction score
This is true.

The pay rate for these "luthiers" hasn't jumped enough to justify the price increase. These guitars are substantially made by machines too. And I think there is a definitely "made in America uptick" that people buy into. Yes, they do make more money in the USA, but it's the jump from past prices that are hard to wrap my head around.
Have you seen the cost of eggs, gas/diesel, rent/home prices, clothes, shipping, raw materials, and everything else? I don't see how this hard for anyone to wrap their head around, frankly.

It's all gone whacko..and so it costs Gibson (and everybody else in every industry) more money to do the same exact thing they were doing a few years ago. My Origin 20 cost me $399 5 years ago. They are nearly double that today. I bought my Dunlop ep boost for $89.00. They are now $149.00

Inflation sucks. It affects EVERYTHING. And the cost of living increases, if they come for anyone, are nowhere near covering the increases. It hasn't been this bad since I used to watch Jimmy Carter every night on the news and learn all sorts of new cuss word phrases from my Dad.

bill0287

Reaction score
Have you seen the cost of eggs, gas/diesel, rent/home prices, clothes, shipping, raw materials, and everything else? I don't see how this hard for anyone to wrap their head around, frankly.

It's all gone whacko..and so it costs Gibson (and everybody else in every industry) more money to do the same exact thing they were doing a few years ago. My Origin 20 cost me $399 5 years ago. They are nearly double that today. I bought my Dunlop ep boost for $89.00. They are now $149.00

Inflation sucks. It affects EVERYTHING. And the cost of living increases, if they come for anyone, are nowhere near covering the increases. It hasn't been this bad since I used to watch Jimmy Carter every night on the news and learn all sorts of new cuss word phrases from my Dad.

Yes, I know all this, so does everyone else - can't a guy just rant a little to blow off steam on this board without a geopolitical lesson ? j/k.

The sad fact is that it's that going to drive consumers to spend what little discretionary income they have on cheaper alternatives (from foreign countries) which only exacerbates the problem.

I have pretty much decided I am not getting the Gibson because the delta in perceived value and name recognition doesn't line up with the price delta over other alternatives.

tallcoolone

Reaction score

Bingo. As usual, you are the voice of reason my man