Gigging with out an amp?

• Thread starter noise5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noise5150

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who plays gigs. I have been wondering lately if it was possible to play a gig with no amp and but just some sort of of floor processor like a Line6 Multi-Effects Pedal. Most of those processors have tons of amp modeling and effects choices. If you pre-program it, you should be able to line out to a PA system. Anyone ever do that?

Bluemoon78

Reaction score
Yes it certainly is possible and certainly simpler than lugging the amp around. The downside is that they just don't sound as organic as an amp and you'll need to spend a lot of time tweaking patches to get it right. They are also harder to edit on the fly than an amp.

Adwex

Reaction score
I know this guy does it alot. Pretty sure he uses a Digitech GNX4.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkKcE9Xqw2s&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Travis Larson Band - MusicLab Guitar Clinic[/ame]

rockinr0ll

Reaction score
Yeah, I have done it with a Boss Me-50. It is so much easier then bringing the stack everywhere.

Last edited:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I have an old DigiTech RP-12 (oldie, but goodie). When I was playing a lot the band got booked at a biker bar in Prescott, AZ. When we got there, the stage was about as big as a sheet of plywood. After the drummer set up (with his minimum kit) I decided not to use my amp and cabinet. I went direct into the RP-12 and line out to the mixing board. Did a quick sound check and did the gig that way.

As stated, I'd rather have an amp to make instant adjustments on, but the RP-12 has a built in volume pedal so I always had the right volume. My effects were already set and memorized, so it was not difficult at all. I used a stage monitor with the guitar feed in it to hear myself.

Marty

stone temple pinot

Reaction score
I leave the half-stack at home and use a Boss GT-10 direct into the PA. (weekend church services)
No reason to blow the roof off with the 100W HGDR. ha.

I think the GT-10 sounds awesome with my Marshall too. I have it setup with 4-cables and use the Marshall as the preamp, and cut out all the amp modeling (when not running direct) and just use the pedal board for effects.
I think it's a sweet setup and I got a shitload of effects, 7 wahs or something like that, a looper and a whole ton of other stuff in the pedal board. It's super versatile and I saved a lot of cash by not purchasing individual pedals.

jchan

Reaction score
IMO, the modelers sound great into a home stereo for practice or recording but sound processed and non-organic for live playing. That's just my opinion. If you like the sound of them, they are certainly portable and convenient. I hope someday someone can make one that doesn't sound fake but haven't heard it yet. I hear the Axe-Fx is the best one out there.

jitees

Reaction score
FWIW I had been doing just that until just recently. Using a BOSS GT10 direct to PA (Yorkville powered system) and stage fills as my only monitors. Worked fine & lightened the load. I've just recently gone back to amps though.....just found I was always too busy tweaking & never being satisfied.....spent more time tweaking than playing I think.

Guitarchops921

Reaction score
I use a Toneworks AG3000X for church services where the room ambiance does not change much and the guitar sound is not too bad. If I gig out, I always use an 800 half stack or the new Haze 40W combo. I have never got a good tone outside with the processor through a P.A. and I think that amps sound far better than processors for a true guitar tone. Just my humble opinion. Thanks

Latest posts