Good Electric Guitar For Hard Rock/Hair Metal Covers Band

• Thread starter Charvel1975
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel1975

Reaction score
So I'm still searching for another electric guitar and after having to return the new Ibanez RG421HPFM and now a defective new Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HH 2PT - Chlorine Burst, I came across this PRS SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar - Faded Blue Burst but seen a lot of complaints on the pickups, etc. With recent changes at my job, I have to try and stay on a budget and will probably have to buy form an online music retailer like Sweetwater as I already have the Sweetwater credit card to stay on monthly payments. I'm in a 2 guitarist classic/hard rock cover band and we play 70's/80's classic rock/hard rock in standard E tuning.

You can see all the gear in my signature but my MIK Epiphone Les Paul Custom that's in my sig has been the main guitar I was using at shows and practices but I'm trying to keep the miles off it and I'm definitely looking for something lighter as my Epiphone weighs a ton and takes a toll on my back! I'm trying to stay on a budget below $1,000 if possible and I have a feeling I'm partial to Mahogany soundwise with maybe a maple cap for the brightness. I've also really got used the the Seymour Duncan hot rod pickup set that's in my Epiphone; JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. I would maybe like to have the option for coil splits as some of the stuff we cover almost requires a single coil kind of sound but I don't think that would be a deal breaker and I really don't care for having a single coil pickup in the middle as I find it gets in the way of my picking. The main things that are important to me is the guitar has to sound good, stay in tune, have 22 frets and be light.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
What was wrong with the Ibanez? My 2 cents is get a guitar with a neck you love that isn't too heavy. Possibly a locking system to maintain tune very well, if that's your thing. Put whatever pickups in it that make you happy unless already equipped.
Personally with the same pickups I don't hear a huge difference at all between guitars. I would get one that feels really good and is light enough.
Maybe even another LP type with modern weight relief.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm still searching for another electric guitar ... probably have to buy form an online music retailer like Sweetwater ... I'm definitely looking for something lighter ... I'm trying to stay on a budget below $1,000 if possible ... I'm partial to Mahogany soundwise with maybe a maple cap for the brightness. I've also really got used the the Seymour Duncan ... I would maybe like to have the option for coil splits as some of the stuff we cover almost requires a single coil kind of sound ... have 22 frets and be light.

You need a humbucker Tele, checks all the boxes...:agreed:
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH - Black Cherry Burst | Sweetwater
:D

Old Punker

Reaction score
I agree with @Jethro Rocker - what you describe sounds like a weight relieved Gibson Les Paul (2006 - present). I use mine for everything from Aerosmith to SOAD and it works great. Mine has the 498T bridge pickup. You can probably pick up a used one that's within your budget, especially if you don't mind getting a Studio model, which will have the same tone as the Standard, except without the frills.

Charvel1975

Reaction score
What was wrong with the Ibanez? My 2 cents is get a guitar with a neck you love that isn't too heavy. Possibly a locking system to maintain tune very well, if that's your thing. Put whatever pickups in it that make you happy unless already equipped.
Personally with the same pickups I don't hear a huge difference at all between guitars. I would get one that feels really good and is light enough.
Maybe even another LP type with modern weight relief.

Well I had to wind up returning the guitar to Sweetwater, was having bad issues with high action even after I paid Sweetwater to do the setup and had high pitch feedback; The feedback and noise was present whenever I was not playing the strings, it was completely unplayable because of this.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I agree with @Jethro Rocker - what you describe sounds like a weight relieved Gibson Les Paul (2006 - present). I use mine for everything from Aerosmith to SOAD and it works great. Mine has the 498T bridge pickup. You can probably pick up a used one that's within your budget, especially if you don't mind getting a Studio model, which will have the same tone as the Standard, except without the frills.
In fact, combined with a nice thick custom Well-Hung guitar strap, it shouldn't be that bad on the shoulder.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Well I had to wind up returning the guitar to Sweetwater, was having bad issues with high action even after I paid Sweetwater to do the setup and had high pitch feedback; The feedback and noise was present whenever I was not playing the strings, it was completely unplayable because of this.
That sucks. Not a good record there.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
So I'm still searching for another electric guitar and after having to return the new Ibanez RG421HPFM and now a defective new Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HH 2PT - Chlorine Burst, I came across this PRS SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar - Faded Blue Burst but seen a lot of complaints on the pickups, etc. With recent changes at my job, I have to try and stay on a budget and will probably have to buy form an online music retailer like Sweetwater as I already have the Sweetwater credit card to stay on monthly payments. I'm in a 2 guitarist classic/hard rock cover band and we play 70's/80's classic rock/hard rock in standard E tuning.

You can see all the gear in my signature but my MIK Epiphone Les Paul Custom that's in my sig has been the main guitar I was using at shows and practices but I'm trying to keep the miles off it and I'm definitely looking for something lighter as my Epiphone weighs a ton and takes a toll on my back! I'm trying to stay on a budget below $1,000 if possible and I have a feeling I'm partial to Mahogany soundwise with maybe a maple cap for the brightness. I've also really got used the the Seymour Duncan hot rod pickup set that's in my Epiphone; JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. I would maybe like to have the option for coil splits as some of the stuff we cover almost requires a single coil kind of sound but I don't think that would be a deal breaker and I really don't care for having a single coil pickup in the middle as I find it gets in the way of my picking. The main things that are important to me is the guitar has to sound good, stay in tune, have 22 frets and be light.
Try one of the Les Paul specials , mahogany and much lighter. I now you like your humbuckers . Me to but I am starting to really like the sound of p90’s.
The other suggestion is a esp 1000

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Maybe an Epiphone 58 Flying V. Looks the part. Should be within the budget. The JB "Amos" clones get great reviews.
Wow , if I had a spare kidney and some lottery money there is a Gibson Medallion V up for only $18,000. I know it’s not part of the original thread but those things are so rare you hardly ever see them for sale. Bonamassa should grab one.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Save up for this, a Gibson LP Classic Lite, its a thin body LP, you will keep it forever:

https://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPCT19

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
80's hard rock/hair metal......Gibson doesnt come to mind but folks here will
suggest these guitars as thats what they play today to jam tunes from that era.
that music was played mainly on Kramer, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Ibanez style guitars
if your talking 80's roc and metal. gibson guitars werent even a thought.
however, mohogany was not the wood of choice for these guitars for the most part.
wanna play that style of music, use what the pro's used of that era.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
All said and done, get a guitar you like to play. What feels good, plays well, and suits your own style.

From your original post, I agree with the others that recommend checking out weight-relieved LPs. But sure, could be a PRS would be a good alternative. Haven’t tried them, personally, but they look fine.

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I used to have a PRS SE Tremonti signature guitar that I should never have gotten rid of. You might check it out; it's basically a lighter, thinner LP, but with the slightly longer 25" scale length, some great stock medium output pickups, and a solid tremolo (non-locking). I know it's not what you think of when you think of 70s/80s metal, but it will do it very, very well.
750-SEStdMTBk_front.jpg

If a more classic aesthetic is important to you, you should consider the Schecter Solo II. It's basically a take on the LP Custom but very much hot rodded. Ebony fretboard, locking tuners, US-made pickups, satin-buffed neck, deeper access joint and cutaway, and three-knob design with coil splits for single-coil sounds.

750-SoloIICABS_front.jpg

Or you could just bury the rest of the band with the sheer loudness of a Jackson Soloist SL1X... Before you plug in:

ICJ2075116-front-large.jpg

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I used to have a PRS SE Tremonti signature guitar that I should never have gotten rid of. You might check it out; it's basically a lighter, thinner LP, but with the slightly longer 25" scale length, some great stock medium output pickups, and a solid tremolo (non-locking). I know it's not what you think of when you think of 70s/80s metal, but it will do it very, very well.
750-SEStdMTBk_front.jpg

If a more classic aesthetic is important to you, you should consider the Schecter Solo II. It's basically a take on the LP Custom but very much hot rodded. Ebony fretboard, locking tuners, US-made pickups, satin-buffed neck, deeper access joint and cutaway, and three-knob design with coil splits for single-coil sounds.

750-SoloIICABS_front.jpg

Or you could just bury the rest of the band with the sheer loudness of a Jackson Soloist SL1X... Before you plug in:

ICJ2075116-front-large.jpg

yes to all 3.