Government Flying V

• Thread starter marshallman116
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
How old are you? (just curious)

Keep that guitar, never let it go. Trust me on this...

Take good care of it.
Good advice . DoD

I'm 14, I'll be 15 on the 16th of January. I always take good care of my guitars, this one especially. It's my baby xD
I have had several guitars I let slip through my fingers and regret ever having let them go. It could be difficult to hold on to because you never know what the future brings but it will be worth keeping.
I bet everyone hear had a guitar they wish they had kept.

illwood

Reaction score
Long story short, Our Government seized some "illegal" wood from Gibson. It was later returned and this line of guitars was constructed from the wood. Google it for a more complete answer.

Is that the Rosewood that was supposed to be illegal because it wasn't finish cut in India?

Lyv2Ryd

Reaction score
Is that the Rosewood that was supposed to be illegal because it wasn't finish cut in India?

Gibson was accused of illegally importing ebony from Madagascar and India, as well as rosewood from India in violation of the Lacey Act, which prohibits the acquisition of plant products that are protected in other countries.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

Gibson was accused of illegally importing ebony from Madagascar and India, as well as rosewood from India in violation of the Lacey Act, which prohibits the acquisition of plant products that are protected in other countries.
Yes, & it was because the law states that wood that is over ____ mm thick, must come into the country as a finished product. Obviously Gibson was going to fabricate fretboards from it. But, there's a lot of controversy as to if they actually broke the law, including the fact that the fed's gave it back to Gibson & let them finish it as they pleased...

Lyv2Ryd

Reaction score
Yes, & it was because the law states that wood that is over ____ mm thick, must come into the country as a finished product. Obviously Gibson was going to fabricate fretboards from it. But, there's a lot of controversy as to if they actually broke the law, including the fact that the fed's gave it back to Gibson & let them finish it as they pleased...

Ah, thanks for elaborating. Hell, the wood was already cut and imported. Where they gonna send it back? I'm glad they gave it back to Gibson, and now these gov't guitars are forever etched in Gibson history.