Guitar picks

• Thread starter royslead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received as a gift a couple of picks made by Artisan Guitar Picks. One is made of silver with brass trim, and the second is made of cymbal brass. I never knew the tonal change you get by playing with picks made of different materials. I've always used plastic or nylon picks, never thinking they had any effect on tone. These brass picks give a much richer and thick tones. Who knew?

royslead

Reaction score
I have a few thin brass ones and one or two in exotic woods made by Brosshard. None of them are something I would use regularly, mainly got them as conversation pieces and to give as gifts.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I find the big stubby ones do that, but not the nylon one I have (it's 20+ years old). I just ordered 3 packages of picks to compare. All 1mm:

Dunlop Nylon 1.0
Snarling Dogs 1.0
& Dunlop Nylon Max Grip 1.0

for comparison. My theory is that they'll all be similar enough, but, you never know...
Ok, I got my picks a few days ago & was able to try them out...

picks_zps9ziw7oxq.png

What I found is... that all 3 picks are basically the same, although, the Snarling Dogs picks come right out of the package w/ rough edges/burs. Once they wear off, the picks are pretty much the same. The grip on the Max Grip & the Brain picks are pretty much identical to the feel. The other Dunlop Nylon, is actually the most comfortable right off, feels most natural...

That said, it's my opinion that feel can be easily adaptable & once you get used to the different feel, either it doesn't make a difference, or you might like it better...

It would be nice if Snarling Dogs finished their edges smoother though. I guess you need to wear them in before you use them for anything important. I wouldn't want to be performing & have one handed to me w/ the rough/burred edges...

Still, these Nylon are not the same as the Big Stubby. The Stubby burs as you play. These ones all smooth out when you play...

Garrett

Reaction score
if your only getting 10-12 songs per pick, your doing something very very wrong with your pick technique.

Some simple physics are occurring. It's a matter of force used with a piece of plastic against round wound metal strings.

The more force and/or the frequency of applied force will wear the softer substance, the pick.

The output voltage of a note to the amp is the direct result of the force applied to the string(s).

There are times (music genres) where people strike a string(s) very hard/aggressively in order to get a certain tone.

The softer element will give.

To say that those of us that go through picks quickly are doing something wrong is simply not true. It's a matter of personal expression and style that you may not play or subscribe to. But it doesn't mean people are doing something wrong.

royslead

Reaction score
In the last week, I have gone back to using the Fender celluloid type (heavy). I got a few nights worth of practice and a night of band practice on one pick, wearing the side just below the tip. Using the Stubbies (that brought about the reason for this thread); I would have used up about 4 or 5. I'm actually surprised the celluloid picks held up as they have; but happy they did. I have to get used to using a larger pick again, but I'm going to continue using them for a while. There is just something about the material the Stubbies are made of that doesn't work well for my strings and my technique (or lack thereof).

Iwanarock

Reaction score
I also like the Snarling Dogs 1.0 and .53 picks depending on what i am playing.
I also have a bunch of Cool Picks that i like as well

EndGame00

Reaction score
I went back to Ibanez Paul Gilbert 1.00mm after using Dunlop Ultex 1.14.... I like the bright and agressive attack of the Ultex, however I feel I have less movement with it being wider than the Ibanez pick....

Grogshla

Reaction score
Dunlop Gator Grip are the best plectrums I have ever used. 1.5 work superbly

bigyinuk

Reaction score
Dunlop Tortex Blue 1.00mm Eventually they go blunt. I buy them in bulk (72pcs) and a pack lasts me 2-3 years.

royslead

Reaction score
Since this thread was started, I have tried many different types. I have also had Clayton custom make picks for me (it's expensive, novel, but fun and cool to have them made for you). I tried them out a while first. The Delrin picks last quite a while, and the Acetal so far, have been my favorite. I get slightly less wear than the Delrin, but I also ordered them in a thinner style.

Easton55

Reaction score
I started using Cat Tongues (black and red), can't remember the mm at the moment based on others telling me about them and love them! Tortex is useable, but the CT I love. Tried forever to make myself like the Dunlop Gels, but could not hang onto them. They kept spinning in my fingers and I ended up playing with the sides. The CTs have totally solved that problem.