Guitar Player Halfstack round up. No Marshall????

• Thread starter hbach
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hbach

Reaction score
Was in the US and got GP to endure the flight back. They had a big halfstack roundup. But to my dismay: NO MARSHALL :rolleyes: How can you not have a Marshall in a halfstack roundup! That's heresy.

Adrian R

Reaction score
No historical mention :( But on all the tested Blackstars and whatnot then say how it gets good Marshall sound.

LMAO!!:lol::lol::rofl::rofl::applause: This has been my point EXACTLY through the years...

As Dusty would say: (from the Twister movie)..LOSERS, move out!:applause:

It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some people can behave who are actually smart! I mean you can like what you want, but try to deceive what it is and act as if its not! Man card holders would never stoop so low..

I cannot tell you how often when I do a show some guitar dude comes up to me and compliments the sound...asking me how its acquired..I just point to the amp and say: "It's that simple. Just get a Marshall, their EVERYWHERE, and have been used professionally for DECADES..you want the real thing, that 'sound', you gotta GET the real thing". Another example of this lame mentality is the guy who puts aftermarket pipes on his metric motorcycle in a vain attempt to get it to sound like a Harley. Not taking anything away from metric class motorcycles..as they are well designed machines, but they could NEVER sound like a Harley as their not!

hbach

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that most of these "articles" are nothing more than infomercials in the written form.

Yeah! Instead of really talking about how they used this or that stack in a gig or rehearsal with say a gorilla drummer or in a and how it cut the mix or if all the million buttons were useful "down in the trenches" all the article did was a "nice" writeup of the features on say the GC or sweetwater page.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
No historical mention :( But on all the tested Blackstars and whatnot then say how it gets good Marshall sound.
no way. BS is their initials for a reason;)

they're ex marshall engineers, i feel don't do the marshall sound justice so far. i don't hate the ht100 but i could do better with a dsl100 or jvm.

Reaction score
Totally agree on Guitar magazines - actually most magazines - being infomercials in print. I read them here and there for entertainment but its hard to take many of the articles seriously. With magazines being beholden to advertisers there's just a constant conflict of interest.

nkay

Reaction score
no way. BS is their initials for a reason;)

they're ex marshall engineers, i feel don't do the marshall sound justice so far. i don't hate the ht100 but i could do better with a dsl100 or jvm.

I had an HT100 because I fell into the marketing hype and thought I could get a Marshall sound, but it was sterile as f**k. No balls, no roar. The original 2 channel Series One was even worse.

Go look up on youtube Neil Schon using a Marshall, then another clip with him since his Blackstar endorsement. The difference is tone is very noticeable. The Blackstar comes across as so sterile, while the Marshall has its usual sweeeeeet tone.

I think they make great 1 and 5 watt amps for home and practice. But the big amps just don't do it for me. Maybe just for modern metallers really. I also had second thoughts about the amp being assembled in Korea and how Blackstar probably mined all their Marshall contacts in the business when they left.

DWK302

Reaction score

I've tried a few diffieret Blackstars and they've all had one thing in common - they fizz and they crackle. Not a pleasant tone at all. Blackstar's "infinite tone" knob or whatever its called doesn't have much impact in shaping the tone either. Great marketing, but in the end, just a mediocre amp.

To say that Blackstar gets "close" to a Marshall sound is bs. GP must know that statement is not true, but they need to keep those advertising dollars coming in. Their reviews lost their credibility long ago.