Guitars for kids

• Thread starter Antony75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antony75

Reaction score
My 6yo daughter has decided she wants a guitar (proud dad!) but looking online, there doesn't seem to be much out there that looks good, in the 3/4 size category. The only ones I could see that I would consider were a few Squier Strats and an Epiphone LP. There was an LTD KH Junior, but that was coming in at £250, where the others are around the £90 mark.

Has anyone bought one of these 3/4 guitars that could give me a heads up on some that are better than others etc.?

Cheers

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I got this one for my daughter.
sytoll3ewbrbrkam9jev.jpg

It was made the same month and year she was born. :yesway:

It's 10% smaller than an actual explorer but same scale 24.75"

Last edited:

slide222

Reaction score
I brought my grandson a mini 3/4 size squier strat , set the intonation up and it plays really well , I can play it and it does sound like strat - great value for the money little guitars
....edit check out the GAK website , they have a large choice of 3/4 guitars , les pauls and strats and many different manufactors

Masteresgt

Reaction score
I bought a Squier Mini for my 6 years boy last year and like it. For 99$ this is a big deal.

One thing: as the string seem to be the same gage .009-.042 as classic fender, string are "loose" so bend are very easy... too easy !

dsn716

Reaction score
I bought my daughter one of these little Ibanez guitars a few years back (she was about 8 at the time), and put a set of 8's on it for her. It was perfect for her little hands and not-so-strong fingers. You can find them used all over the place for around $60.00. But, it is a "kids guitar". So, it's hard to find a used on that isn't banged up pretty good.

Ibanez GRGM21M GRG miKro Series Electric Guitar Metallic Purple | Musician's Friend

Antony75

Reaction score
Cheers guys, lots of great ideas, and they all look great too, loving that Explorer, she'd look awesome with one of those strapped over her shoulder. The Ibby Mikro looks cool too and I know she'd love that as it looks like the jr version of my RG. Might just print off a few pics of them and the LP and Strat and let her pick which she likes the most (as long as it's not pink!)

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
I bought my daughter an ibanez mikro, the tuners absolutley suck but its actually fun as hell to play with, now she wants an acoustic.

Mshayne

Reaction score
If acoustic is on the table I think the martin travel series may be a good fit.

I have no idea about smaller electrics ... oh I did see Pignose has a smaller guitar with built in amp , about 100 usd in china so I am sure its cheaper elsewhere.

kebek

Reaction score
I always recommend nylon strings classical guitars for those tiny fingers...

dsn716

Reaction score
I bought my daughter an ibanez mikro, the tuners absolutley suck but its actually fun as hell to play with, now she wants an acoustic.

Holy crap! My kid had her Ibanez for about 4 months, then started busting my hump for an acoustic as well. I bought her the 3/4 size Yamaha FG Junior.

Of course, she's 11 now, and doesn't pick up anything anymore except her damn iphone. :mad:

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
Im debating between a daisy rock wildwood acoustic and baby taylor. Ill have to look at the yamahas.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
Hey, there's nothing wrong with a pink, sparkly guitar if she plays it enough to get good at playing.

Absolutely, I just like to spend my $ on quality and longevity. A baby taylor she could keep and give to her kids, a pink sparkly daisy rock will get forgotten about.
Thus my conundrum, she will like either one I'm sure.

Mshayne

Reaction score
Dude , be a hero and get yourself a pink metallic flake fender strat that way its hers when she gets 'BIG' and you get bonus points with every person you play for.