Hall of Fame reverb pedal

• Thread starter ripntear76
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmuff

Reaction score
Been wanting one of these as well. Will it do spacey shoegaze noise? You know, just a wash of sound that blurs all the notes together. That's kind of what I'm looking for...

Jubilee58

Reaction score
The HOF is a high quality, studio-esque verb. That said, it can sound almost too subtle and a bit dull/sterile as a result. Truthfully, I've found all TC stuff to be sorta bland (especially the Flashback - yech!).

I've also had recent experience with the Super Natural and the RV5. The Super Natural was very cool (great spring setting), but had a phasing/comb-filtering effect when running out of the loop of my Jubilee that was a deal breaker. The RV5 is the pedal that is my current top choice (although I'm waiting to try a Lexicon LXP-1). Works great in the loop or out front (when the amp is clean), has a great modulation setting and better plate/hall/springs than the HOF stock. That said, it does have a metallic high end that can be annoying but can dialed out with the tone knob. Like the Super Natural it's a more saturated sound, and therefore more "fun" than the HOF.

Jubilee58

Reaction score
Been wanting one of these as well. Will it do spacey shoegaze noise? You know, just a wash of sound that blurs all the notes together. That's kind of what I'm looking for...

It might be able to with some toneprints, but that's not really this pedals strong suit. If you want that, try the RV5 w/ the modulation setting. That said, just buy an Alesis Quadraverb....

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
On my pedalboard I use a HOFame and a Supernatural. Its a good set up.

Also dont underestimate the RV5. Thats a good sounding Reverb too.

TC NovaVerb is better than the HOF as far as extra control. The wider control over pre-delay is a great function to have. Especially on OD sounds.

dexter74

Reaction score
Personally, I felt the foot switch quality was suspect on the HOF and seemed to sometimes not engage properly. Heard there have been several complaints about this issue, but think TC may have rectified it. The unit itself sounded ok, perhaps somewhat bland as someone stated, so I sold it and got the Digitech RV7, and to me the RV7 sounds a lot better. The spring reverb sounds more authentic and the plate has more dimension to it.
My 2 cents.

rick16v

Reaction score

Ok so i just spent 20 minutes messing around with my HOF and I can't get that washy sound your thinking of. If i combine the pedal with my amp reverb then i get nearer. What i did notice is that when turned up high and with a long decay, the HOF doesn't sound that nice. For normal use its a great sound that sits nicely and adds ambience without cluttering. Too much though, and it sounds artificial and getsnin the way. You can download editing software for free and tweek the parameters if you want, I've not tested this.

Electro Harmonix holy grail is possibly better for what you're after. That can get pretty big but stays lush.

Bigmuff

Reaction score
Know what? I already have a pedal that does what I'm looking for. It's an older Tech 21 RVB.

th

I forgot that the mix goes to 100% and the time allows for really long decay times. The embarrasing thing is it's on my board... I use it mostly for a solo boost with a bit of added reverb for some space. It's Sigur Ros in a box if I tweak it right. :D

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the way it sounds, but I'm beginning to think the TCE switches are cheap crap. First, last week I was using the Flashback Delay at a rehearsal and it turned off after an hour. It had a fresh, brand new alkaline in it. I looked and the LED was out, so I hit the button, the light came on and **** off again. I hit it again and then it stayed on.

Tonight I just found out my HOF Reverb switch is messed up: with FX pedals running on a 9 volt, you know that if you leave the input cable plugged in the battery will die within hours. Well tonight I put a new battery in it, used the box for a half hour, and when I was done I pulled out the input cable. Five hours later I go to use it again and the LED won't come on - no reverb. I'm like, WTF? So I put a new battery in and as soon as I connected it I heard the sound of a relay switch click and the LED came on - without any cables plugged into it. I checked the switch and it turns the LED on and off as it should, but that's only if a cable is plugged in! So what that means is that even though the cables are disconnected and the LED is also off, it still thinks a cable is plugged into the input and the battery dies within hours. Until today I've used these pedals with a power adaptor and have not seen any issues. But still the units are defective.

Looks like they've had some common problems with their switches. My Flashback Delay has the older click switch and the HOF has the newer one, so there are still issues regardless of the older vs. newer switches.

Here are additional problems that others have experienced:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy-fQ7MgP2k[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwx7LLlEdAA[/ame]

There are also problem reports I've found on other forums from Google searches, but I don't care to post more links. But at this point I'm no longer confident in TCE's pedals because of these reliability issues, so I'll probably get rid of them.

Garrett

Reaction score
I have a HOF, sounds good. Not the greatest but good. Church setting is nice with a clean guitar.

Really tempted to build this but the price is just a bit steep at $275. It does sound killer.

https://www.modkitsdiy.com/kit/wave

Penguinchit

Reaction score
But at this point I'm no longer confident in TCE's pedals because of these reliability issues, so I'll probably get rid of them.

If I can get funding from upper management, I'm still in the market for a Flashback. If I see issues, I could try a switch replacement.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I tested out the popular reverb pedals a couple years ago and liked the Boss RV5 best. RV6 is the latest rendition.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
If I can get funding from upper management, I'm still in the market for a Flashback. If I see issues, I could try a switch replacement.

Actually, I'll probably just trade them all in toward a cheap multi-FX board. I don't know, I like the sound of the tec pedals, so I'm kinda p*ssed right now about them.

rick16v

Reaction score
I think a fair numbet of the forum reported issues are battery power related. Battery life is laughable, I think they even allude to this in the manual.

My HOF and FB have been trouble free for years now, but I've never relied on batteries, always a power supply.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the way it sounds, but I'm beginning to think the TCE switches are cheap crap. First, last week I was using the Flashback Delay at a rehearsal and it turned off after an hour. It had a fresh, brand new alkaline in it. I looked and the LED was out, so I hit the button, the light came on and **** off again. I hit it again and then it stayed on.

Tonight I just found out my HOF Reverb switch is messed up: with FX pedals running on a 9 volt, you know that if you leave the input cable plugged in the battery will die within hours. Well tonight I put a new battery in it, used the box for a half hour, and when I was done I pulled out the input cable. Five hours later I go to use it again and the LED won't come on - no reverb. I'm like, WTF? So I put a new battery in and as soon as I connected it I heard the sound of a relay switch click and the LED came on - without any cables plugged into it. I checked the switch and it turns the LED on and off as it should, but that's only if a cable is plugged in! So what that means is that even though the cables are disconnected and the LED is also off, it still thinks a cable is plugged into the input and the battery dies within hours. Until today I've used these pedals with a power adaptor and have not seen any issues. But still the units are defective.

Looks like they've had some common problems with their switches. My Flashback Delay has the older click switch and the HOF has the newer one, so there are still issues regardless of the older vs. newer switches.

Here are additional problems that others have experienced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy-fQ7MgP2k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwx7LLlEdAA

There are also problem reports I've found on other forums from Google searches, but I don't care to post more links. But at this point I'm no longer confident in TCE's pedals because of these reliability issues, so I'll probably get rid of them.

Don't use them with batteries Vin....unless you use rechargables. The current draw is too much and the unit cannot detect proper voltage so it screws the unit up. I have had some success with 600Mah rechargeable 9v batteries, but even so these go flat at a 4 hour rehearsal session. I use both a HOF and Flashback....there is nothing wrong with the pedals in those vids you posted.....operator error, plain and simple.
I now use one of these....brilliant, silent, don't need a plug nearby AWESOME value for money. It's basically a 8000Mah battery with dedicated outputs. Two of them are high draw (500Mah) so are ideal for a Flashback and a HOF.
It was £50 here in the UK approx 75 bucks :yesway:

picture.php

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't use them with batteries Vin....unless you use rechargables. The current draw is too much and the unit cannot detect proper voltage so it screws the unit up. I have had some success with 600Mah rechargeable 9v batteries, but even so these go flat at a 4 hour rehearsal session. I use both a HOF and Flashback....there is nothing wrong with the pedals in those vids you posted.....operator error, plain and simple.
I now use one of these....brilliant, silent, don't need a plug nearby AWESOME value for money. It's basically a 8000Mah battery with dedicated outputs. Two of them are high draw (500Mah) so are ideal for a Flashback and a HOF.
It was £50 here in the UK approx 75 bucks :yesway:

picture.php

:hmm: Ok, why do you say "operator error"? It looks like defects to me. Again, I understand batteries may die quickly with time-based FX, but how is the switching not a defect? Are you saying the switching is power-dependent? If so, then why would they make the pedal accept batteries? This all seems strange.

rick16v

Reaction score
I agree its a poor design, mitigated by use of a power supply. I'm a fan of both effects, so I can live with the fact I can't battery power them.

Latest posts