Have you ever seen these variants? 2203 and 2204 with toggle power switches

• Thread starter Matthews Guitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
As I'm working my way through my artwork files for my panels project, I realized that I don't have much information on model 2203 and 2204 master volume amps that came with toggle rather than rocker switches for power and standby.

They do exist, I've got photos, but apparently they were early production and aren't very common.

If you should happen to have one, I need some panel measurement information from them.

One thing that is always the same with JMP era Marshalls, or at least the models I'm dealing with, is that the location of the panel holes for all the rotary controls never changes. That at leat has been consistent, so far. (IF it's not a tremolo or PA head, which I'm not dealing with yet.)

But the input jack locations are different and if there are rocker switches, they are not located on the same center points as the toggle switches were.

I need to know the horizontal spacing of the toggle switches and indicator relative to the presence control.

The toggle switch positions I've found on a 1959's panel from 1973 were nice even numbers, located on 1/2 inch centers. The presence control is located 5.5 inches from the left side edge of the panel, the indicator, 4 inches, the standby switch, 3 inches. Nice and easy.

The location of the leftmost two input jacks on a 1959 are 1.92 inches to the right of the last knob (measuring from hole centers, always) but on a 2203 from 1977 the jacks are about 1/8 inch closer.

So if you can give me some dimensional locations of these switches and input jacks on an early master volume model, one that has toggle power switches, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canada had different electrical codes, rockers weren't allowed for some reason. And they didn't have a 16 ohm tap...red lettering on the back...and they have internal fuses I think..maybe one of our Canadian brothers will chime in.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
As I'm working my way through my artwork files for my panels project, I realized that I don't have much information on model 2203 and 2204 master volume amps that came with toggle rather than rocker switches for power and standby.

They do exist, I've got photos, but apparently they were early production and aren't very common.

If you should happen to have one, I need some panel measurement information from them.

One thing that is always the same with JMP era Marshalls, or at least the models I'm dealing with, is that the location of the panel holes for all the rotary controls never changes. That at leat has been consistent, so far. (IF it's not a tremolo or PA head, which I'm not dealing with yet.)

But the input jack locations are different and if there are rocker switches, they are not located on the same center points as the toggle switches were.

I need to know the horizontal spacing of the toggle switches and indicator relative to the presence control.

The toggle switch positions I've found on a 1959's panel from 1973 were nice even numbers, located on 1/2 inch centers. The presence control is located 5.5 inches from the left side edge of the panel, the indicator, 4 inches, the standby switch, 3 inches. Nice and easy.

The location of the leftmost two input jacks on a 1959 are 1.92 inches to the right of the last knob (measuring from hole centers, always) but on a 2203 from 1977 the jacks are about 1/8 inch closer.

So if you can give me some dimensional locations of these switches and input jacks on an early master volume model, one that has toggle power switches, it'd be greatly appreciated.

It's a transition model yes there are a few around I have seen some USA models.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Here's a '76 example.

Still has Plexi cosmetics, but is it built on the Plexi chassis? I'd think it might be but I can't tell from this photo.

1976Marshallheadft.jpg

I'm not working on JCM 800 variants yet. JMP era only, for now, because they're older and more likely to be in need of restoration panels.

Shanger

Reaction score
So about 10 years ago, me and my buddy each bought Jcm 800 2204 heads, built in 1983 ... canadian version metal toggle switches. Bad ass. Here are a couple photos. If you want I can send you more or send you the guts of the amp too.

Shane

002.jpg 007.jpg

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A friend of a friend has one of the early 2204s with toggle switches. I've measured its panels and discovered that the two input jacks are moved about a tenth of an inch to the left of where they would be if it was built in a regular 1987 four input chassis. So it's kind of its own thing.

The spacing from the last volume control to the input jacks is a nice even 1.4 inches (horizontally) for the JMP four holes before the transitional years. During the transitional period, on at least SOME examples, the spacing between those features drops to 1.4 inches although the spacing between all six knobs is constant, 1.5 inches, and never changes.

I have the panel files for making any variation now. 2203/2204, early, transitional, or late, rocker or toggle switches.

Shanger

Reaction score
master & pre settings.....i like

Yeah totally! I've been running it through an attenuator lately and just loving it this way now! It's way more gain then I can ever want or need since I mostly play 70's - 90's rock with it.

I find there is a noticeable change in the sonicality once I turn the master volume to "8"... all of a sudden the tone just beefs up, as if that's the last hurrah the tubes have to give.