Haven’t purchased an amp in almost 20 years!

• Thread starter Jobeyrips
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t really been able to find the sound I was looking for through multiple settings adjustments and even the tube replacement.
Nope, I had a 30 watt solid state crate combo way back when and went straight to the Marshall half stack. So you maybe be right. Maybe have to do a lot of testing and try a lot of different stuff.

I was just looking back through this thread.
Lots of great amp suggestions.

Nobody mentioned pedals.
I've seen some mind blowing pedal rig pics here, and I use pedals to get tones that don't come native to my amps.
TSL100 is a kick ass amp, if you're not finding the tone you desire, perhaps a little front end juice would suit your taste.
Endless possibilities, and way under the budget.

Fil

Reaction score
Have you checked out the Friedman BE50? THAT'S what I would get. A little over your budget even used, but man, what TONE(s)! https :// youtu.be/ h_ZbcZtmQRE

GIBSON67

Reaction score
TSL100 is a great sounding amp...I'd find the one you want before I sold the TSL. 3 channels are with a nice clean channel...

My suggestion is going to a single channel(all great tone) 2203 or 2204. Use a boost and ride the volume knob and call it a day.

Old Punker

Reaction score
As others have said I would def try some pedals in front of your TSL100 first, they can change the whole personality of an amp.

If you want to get another amp do you really need to go the 100W route again? If you aren't playing arenas or large outdoor events maybe a JCM 800 Studio (SC20H) at 20W will cover everything from classic rock to some pretty nasty hardcore stuff. I have one and it's great and pretty damned loud too. It even has a 5W mode for home use. Also loves pedals (Boss SD-1 as boost is particularly nice).

You also mentioned the Mesa Mark series which are amazing amps that can cover a lot of ground. I have a Mesa Express 5:50 that sounds great and can do just about any style short of death metal.

Plug a Gibson into either one of these amps and there's no turning back!

Full disclosure: I love both Marshall and Mesa amps and I haven't bought an amp in 7 months (okay 3 months if you count the Power Station).

:monkey:

Last edited:

Jobeyrips

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions. I’m currently in the process of reworking my pedal board and seeing how that goes. I’ve already moved a bunch of my pedals into the fx loop after the Pre amp (they were previously all before my amp) as well as a full settings overhaul and I’m much happier with my sound for now and will probably be even more so after new pedals. Lots of research and pedal demos going on right now lol.

With that said I love all of the suggestions of getting a smaller head especially the ones with switches down to lower wattages. Going to do lots of research on the JCM studio tonight as I find myself especially for home use playing with the VPR switch on and still not being able to crank it as much as I need to for the best tone.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and will update what I go with when I do get a new head. Definitely feel like you guys have steered me in the right direction.

Jobeyrips

Reaction score
Spur of the moment but found this guy on market place today and picked it as a practice amp for situations where I can’t crank the tsl. Paid 350 for everything with a speaker cable.
Running it with a bad monkey for over drive and getting some pretty good tones. Super happy with it for the price I paid.

04D58DC7-333F-4B41-BDF9-143D0949CD8B.jpeg 8EB1D1A4-DB61-417B-AF07-AE3D3F4C1417.jpeg

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spur of the moment but found this guy on market place today and picked it as a practice amp for situations where I can’t crank the tsl. Paid 350 for everything with a speaker cable.
Running it with a bad monkey for over drive and getting some pretty good tones. Super happy with it for the price I paid.

View attachment 83509 View attachment 83510
Congrats on your NAD.
Nice looking little rig.
And a quick look around says, yes, that's a killer price.
Good score man.

Madfinger

Reaction score
Had one of these little beasties for well over 10 years & still do. Guess the Tweaker is based on these just tweaked to tweak?
20201228_145342.jpg

myersbw

Reaction score
Congrats! Really good price on that amp setup! If you get inclined to search for another, and if you gig a modest amount, I'd suggest considering a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R head or one of Dr. Z's offerings (lots of demos to listen to on YouTube).

When it comes to pedals, treat yourself to a Strymon Riverside. That can emulate a three channel amp...bypass, on, fave ...where I usually setup my amp for clean with breakup...good crunch with the Riverside on...then program my 'fave' with a heavy SLO-style tone or similar in drive. And, 'programming' is just tweaking a setting and pressing and holding a button...it's not complicated and it's VERY noise-reduced except for tone you want.

I used to use an Electro-Harmonix Oceans 11 pedal for any style of reverb, but I migrated to an HX Effects to cover a whole gamut of tones in the church worship band, to include some spatial swells that are unreal.

Glad you found something you like!!

PS - if you consider any PRS...look into the PRS 2 Channel H head - the USA hardwired amps they do. (Shy away from the newer circuit board models.) I had a 2 Ch. H...was the best clean amp with amazing reverb. (Gain needed tweaked or a pedal) You can get these for a decent price and they're well made, then consider a couple great pedals.

BftGibson

Reaction score
Got a few lil buggers lately that really have been inspiring..winding em up on 4x12's & they record so well. The OR15 has become almost my fav amp..so much goodness up the gain dial.
JCA22 20v 2204.jpg
TH30 OR15 opt.jpg

Jobeyrips

Reaction score
Congrats! Really good price on that amp setup! If you get inclined to search for another, and if you gig a modest amount, I'd suggest considering a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30R head or one of Dr. Z's offerings (lots of demos to listen to on YouTube).

When it comes to pedals, treat yourself to a Strymon Riverside. That can emulate a three channel amp...bypass, on, fave ...where I usually setup my amp for clean with breakup...good crunch with the Riverside on...then program my 'fave' with a heavy SLO-style tone or similar in drive. And, 'programming' is just tweaking a setting and pressing and holding a button...it's not complicated and it's VERY noise-reduced except for tone you want.

I used to use an Electro-Harmonix Oceans 11 pedal for any style of reverb, but I migrated to an HX Effects to cover a whole gamut of tones in the church worship band, to include some spatial swells that are unreal.

PS - if you consider any PRS...look into the PRS 2 Channel H head - the USA hardwired amps they do. (Shy away from the newer circuit board models.) I had a 2 Ch. H...was the best clean amp with amazing reverb. (Gain needed tweaked or a pedal) You can get these for a decent price and they're well made, then consider a couple great pedals.
Awesome thanks for the suggestions! I’m going to look into the Riverside today. For reverb I just purchased a Walrus Audio Fatham that will eventually make it here whenever usps isn't backed up.

Madfinger

Reaction score
Thats actually a great pickup for the price. I've heard good reviews about those cabs too. :applause::cheers:

Jobeyrips

Reaction score

This comment cost me 225 bucks lol. Giving the Riverside a try. Watched about 10 demos yesterday and pulled the trigger on a used one this morning.

myersbw

Reaction score
Lol! I don't regret mine! (Got mine for $180...on CL...like new)...I love it. And, HEY! You are well under that $2000 mark on that Tweaker! :) btw...cool on that Fathom pedal...I had the Descent, but traded it and a Big Sky for the HX Effects.

This comment cost me 225 bucks lol. Giving the Riverside a try. Watched about 10 demos yesterday and pulled the trigger on a used one this morning.

Jobeyrips

Reaction score
Lol! I don't regret mine! (Got mine for $180...on CL...like new)...I love it. And, HEY! You are well under that $2000 mark on that Tweaker! :) btw...cool on that Fathom pedal...I had the Descent, but traded it and a Big Sky for the HX Effects.
Riverside came in today, going to spend a long time dialing in settings but definitely have found a bunch of things I like so far.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
If I had it to do all over again I'd have saved myself around $30K and gone with an early model Plexi or Super Lead, an attenuator, and a 4x12 and 2x12. By the time amps started getting master volumes and adding bells and whistles, the tone kept getting thinner and more trebly.

Latest posts