Haze 40 combo

• Thread starter spikei
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spikei

Reaction score
hi, my new haze 40 combo has developed a clonk when changing channels, anybody else had same problem. does it with the pedal and from the amp panel.:(

spikei

Reaction score
hi johnh thanks for reply, i have seen a thread on another site with the same story. i will wait for my new one to turn up then.

teleboy

Reaction score
my haze did 3 gigs before it packed up3 weeks ago, still not had a replacement great sound when it works !

teleboy

Reaction score
talked to marshall again and talk about vague with replies to questions.
they are doing a mod on channel switching which involves swapping some resistors to stop the (in his words) clonking sound when using footswitch and amp button.but said they cannot find any fault with my amp. as i told them it doesn`t look good for them that i am using a peavey bandit as its more reliable he said the lady who deals with returns will be back monday and you can ask your dealer to ask her for a refund or replacement its up to me !!!!!!

spikei

Reaction score
hi just got my replacement from Marshall and all is well, haven't practiced with the band yet but will start to find out what it can do this weekend,

teleboy, if your amp is nacked and its under warranty (you bought it new} the shop or marshall will and should sort it,keep on at them. good luck.

JohnH

Reaction score
Good to hear it got fixed. These teething troubles are dissappointing, since otherwise it seems like a great little amp. So please keep us posted on how it works out over the next few - it would be a valuable service to other members who may consider this amp.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Yes. I am very curious to see how this all turns out. I'm hoping that they are making the revisions on the current production. I have read over six threads regarding this popping sound. I wonder how this sort of bug managed to get by the preliminary quality control tests?

spikei

Reaction score
hi, good new to report I'm happy to say,:fingersx: had a practise with the band, minus the drummer (don't start me off about drummers). what i heard i liked, good clean, good crunch, good overdrive and good boost for lead, add a bit of delay and happy days,
very versatile amp with real valve tone, i must add that i had gone into a boss me 50 before the amp but even with that in front of it i was really pleased. i will find out more about this thing in the future but i am impressed with my jmp lookalike (used to own one of those).
this amp is versatile.
spike

spikei

Reaction score
a dodgy valve is excusable, let us know how you get on.
i have to say at home i wasn't that impressed, it was when i went to the hall i got to hear the real sound.

srv

Reaction score
a dodgy valve is excusable, let us know how you get on.
i have to say at home i wasn't that impressed, it was when i went to the hall i got to hear the real sound.

The guy who repaired it (BS in physics MS in Nuclear physics and he decided to repair audo gear because he loves it) says he is not very impressed with the valves marshall chose to put in these models. He replaced the dodgy one with one culled and tested by Mesa Engineering. Any experience with these? He touted a six month warranty.

Argus Tuft

Reaction score
Relax, dear readers.

1 Initially a small batch of dodgy electro caps snuck into a few Haze 40's. The problem has been identified, rectified and the few that escaped are being upgraded in the field. It's regrettable but fits into the pooh happens department. Manufacturing can be like that.

2 The world is full of tube experts, listen to them at your peril.
I graduated and commenced my career as a professional R&D engineer - with a decidedly audio bent - back in 1968 and have had more than a passing involvement in audio ever since. I've also seen the death and subsequent resurrection of the tube amp as a mainstream product. And I've seen the sorry results of the efforts of legions of brave amateur "tube experts" over and over and over. It's so boringly repetitive and pointless. I'm constantly bemused by the utterances of many of these good folk and wonder why, if they truly are so gifted, they aren't demonstrating it by producing their own gear at price that’s affordable by Bruce and Brenda Muso. I bet this is also a continuing worry to the folk at Marshall, Fender and friends.

3 Given that Dr Jim and his engineering chaps have been producing a sizeable percentage of the worlds truly great valve amps for nigh on 50 years now one could reasonably assume that they know a little about what they are doing. The implication being that if it could have been done better they would have. Or if they couldn't, at the very least they'd have hired an "expert" to sort it for them because it's not as if there's any real shortage of them.

And BTW, I’m not employed by Marshall nor am I getting a back-hander, free set of tubes or even a Marshall hat in return for my comments. I’m simply interested in clearing the air apropos what is a truly great amp; assuming of course that it has the sound you're seeking.

Cheers

Argus

srv

Reaction score
Which electro caps do you speak of? I would like to replace them as after atrip to the shop I still have a pop when i switch channels.

Argus Tuft

Reaction score
Re: Haze 40 Combo Switching Clicks

Greetings again

The good folk at Marshall have issued an ECN under the title of "010-MHZ40 Company Statement issue 1" that deals with out-of-spec leakage current that can occur in 4 capacitors and cause a small DC offset voltage that becomes audibly noticeable when range switching. Although it only occurs in a very small percentage of units, those in which it does occur are more likely to become problematic once the internals have warmed up a bit.

The document details a procedure for the replacement of 4 x capacitors and 3 x resistors that cures the problem. Marshall have released an upgrade kit code "KIT-00021" to Marshall Distributors that contains the appropriate components and documentation.
If you think your Haze has this problem your first course of action should be to contact the folks from whom you purchased it; they will be in a position to sort it out through the distribution chain in your country.

Cheers

Argus

GibsonMarshall

Reaction score
Re: Haze 40 Combo Switching Clicks

Greetings again

The good folk at Marshall have issued an ECN under the title of "010-MHZ40 Company Statement issue 1"

Could you please post a copy of the this, or send it to me via PM? It appears that few Marshall dealers are aware of this.

Cyclone Universe

Reaction score
I bought my haze 40 combo 9/09, was very happy with it but concerned about popping noises I heard when changing channels. Loved the tones of the amp and was hoping for the best. Used the amp at band practice a week ago, and noticed the volume fading in and out after 15 minutes. Both channels were affected. Saw tubes getting dimmer and then fade to black. The amp died. I brought it to the repair shop and I am now waiting for the verdict. I don't know if my problem is related to the popping sounds, but I guess I'm another person with combo trouble. Very disappointed because the amp fit my needs. I felt protective of the amp because it sounded great to me, but I was nervous in light of the complaints I read about it. Will fill ya in when I find out what happened.

clydey

Reaction score
good post argus tuft
regarding upgrade kit-00021
that would imply that there are upgrade kits 1 to 20 for other marshall upgrades/mods
it would be fantastic if you could start a new thread giving us some info on these if you have it cheers

MKB

Reaction score
The Haze 40 I got used on ebay last year started popping after several hours of continuous use. The capacitor/resistor fix suggested by Marshall not only eliminated the popping, but significantly reduced the noise of the effects section of the amp (lots of white noise even when both channel volumes are set to 0). If you have a Haze 40, be sure and get this done as it is well worth it.

Cyclone Universe

Reaction score
Hello again. Got my Haze 40 back from the repair shop. They told me the problem was faulty speaker wiring. When I asked about the popping sounds that happen while changing channels, the tech told me that all multi channel amps pop when switching channels. I had a Rivera Clubster prior to this amp and it didn't pop. I got rid of the Clubster because I love Marshall tone, but still wonder about this popping sound. I will say that whatever they did to bring my amp back to life, it's been problem free. I also noticed that when I turn the amp on, the "power on" light goes on immediately. Prior to the fix, it would take several munutes before the light went on. I don't know what was wrong initially or what they fixed other than the speaker wiring, but the amp seems better now. Keeping my fingers crossed because I do like this little Haze 40.