• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Help: 2x12 Parallel Wiring

• Thread starter RJW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RJW

Reaction score
I can’t seem to find a mono 2x12 parallel wiring diagram for dual jacks (for connecting another cab). All I can find on a quick search is diagrams with one jack.

I got the load to read 8ohms already. Just can’t seem to figure out the second jack. I know I’m close.

I’m sure I could fool around until I figure it out but maybe someone could help me instead.

Thanks

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t seem to find a mono 2x12 parallel wiring diagram for dual jacks (for connecting another cab). All I can find on a quick search is diagrams with one jack.

I got the load to read 8ohms already. Just can’t seem to figure out the second jack. I know I’m close.

I’m sure I could fool around until I figure it out but maybe someone could help me instead.

Thanks
Just askin'...
You want to hook another 8ohm cab parallel through another jack to get 4ohm going to the amp?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Just wire up the two jacks in parallel as well. Shield to shield, tip to tip. No big deal.

South Park

Reaction score
You keep two cabs separate 8 ohms each you connect the second cab at the jack of the first cap . So you have two parallel circuits in a Y set up .if you just connect one at the end of the ether . You are dividing of ohms by the number of speakers the ohms will be to low

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
just for the record, you have 2- 16 ohm speakers, in a 2x12 cab, right? = 8 ohm

& want two 8 ohm cab's hooked up in parallel, to equal 4 ohm, right?

& your amp, has a 4 ohm tap, right?

What amp?

Last edited:

RJW

Reaction score
just for the record, you have 2- 16 ohm speakers, in a 2x12 cab, right? = 8 ohm

& want to 8 ohm cab's hooked up in parallel, to equal 4 ohm, right?

& your amp, has a 4 ohm tap, right?

What amp?

I wasn’t thinking. I got the the original problem solved now. The 2 speakers are in parallel and at 8ohms. However…

I haven’t built the second cab yet. I DONT want the end result of connecting the second 212 cab to be 4ohm. I’d rather have 16ohm. I’m gonna use all 16ohm speakers.

Can this be accomplished if the second cab is wired in series (like a 412)? Can it be accomplished at all?

I’ve got a bunch of amps. Maybe 10. Only two have a 4ohm option (Vox MV50 and Quilter Interblock) but they weren’t a real big concern with this cab. The amps of concern for this question are 16 or 8 ohms out. (DSL20HR, Tubemeister 20, Egnater Rebel 30, Fender DR).

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
you'll want a series box adapter (splitter)...

If you have 2- 8 ohm cab's (16+16), running them in series, will give you 16 ohm total in a series/parallel wiring.

If you wire the cab's series (16+16), then each cab will be 32 ohm, which will make it not match w/ the amp, if you want to use the cab by it's self...

RJW

Reaction score
you'll want a series box adapter (splitter)...

If you have 2- 8 ohm cab's (16+16), running them in series, will give you 16 ohm total in a series/parallel wiring.

If you wire the cab's series (16+16), then each cab will be 32 ohm, which will make it not match w/ the amp, if you want to use the cab by it's self...

Thanks. I see. I’ve been thinking about splitters. That’s the better option.

But the end result of both cabs COULD be 16ohms by connecting the 8ohm parallel and the 32ohm series setup? Does order matter?

Just wanting to understand for the sake of understanding.

(Also, I know I could draw it out myself and do the math or just pull out the multimeter, but work is killing me and I can’t seem to find the time.)

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Thanks
I wouldnt connect the cabs together, connect them both separately to the amp. Not sure what youre end goal is and why, sounds like youre just complicating things for no reason.