Help Fixing Ceriatone Effects Loop?

• Thread starter ledvedder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ledvedder

Reaction score
I stalled a Granger fx loop and it works fine. It has trim pots for the send (a reduction trim only), and then a 6+ db trim return so if you experience some loss, you can make it back up. It gets B+ power from the board and then it is wired into the circuit in the same places as the Q and E on the schematic..If has an on/off switch and works good enough for me. Here is a clip of the amp with the loop and reverb added, pretty clean and chunky.

I start switching to the dly and stuff about 2 min into the clip

Does the master volume affect the signal that's sent out of the send jack? My DSL's loop doesn't seem to be affected by how low or high I have its master volume. But, from what I understand, it will be affected on my Ceriatone.

jman271

Reaction score
the send comes off the Treble pot, in hindsight as for the passive loop goes, i think off the master would be a better place but I think you have to do some other things to it as well...you should ask to join the facebook ceriatone user group....people on there all day, Nik too.

ledvedder

Reaction score
I stalled a Granger fx loop and it works fine. It has trim pots for the send (a reduction trim only), and then a 6+ db trim return so if you experience some loss, you can make it back up. It gets B+ power from the board and then it is wired into the circuit in the same places as the Q and E on the schematic..If has an on/off switch and works good enough for me. Here is a clip of the amp with the loop and reverb added, pretty clean and chunky.

Where did you place the effects loop board? I got the metro loop today, and I'm trying to figure out where to mount it.

jman271

Reaction score
I flipped my chassis upside down and installed on the right side of the back panel, I had no loop at all so I had room..not sure is the spacing of the holes will be right from your existing holes? post pics?

ledvedder

Reaction score
The spacing of the existing holes is 1", too small. The only open area that I can see is on the extreme right, but that is right on top of the 1st preamp stage.

Attachments

• 20171207_204209_HDR.jpg
    20171207_204209_HDR.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 15

tschrama

Reaction score
+1 on the passive loop being the cullprit.

Easy fix: install a 470K-10K attenuator at the FX-Send-jack. Use short cables. You might need to crack the MV now, since there is no recovery stage at the FX-return.

ledvedder

Reaction score
+1 on the passive loop being the cullprit.

Easy fix: install a 470K-10K attenuator at the FX-Send-jack. Use short cables. You might need to crack the MV now, since there is no recovery stage at the FX-return.

Can you explain this?

ledvedder

Reaction score

Do you have to adjust the loop levels whenever you turn the amp up or down? Everyone keeps telling me the metro loop won't work in the Chupacabra, saying the levels won't be right, unless it's before the master volume. I have no idea how much modifications that would need.

I have the metro loop, but I don't want to start modifying the amp if it won't work in the end.

ledvedder

Reaction score
I ran out to Guitar Center since they had one of those Digitech RP360 units "used". I figured I'd give it a shot. It's a little better than the pedals I was trying, but it still squashes the highs. It gives the amp that "covered with a blanket" tone. I tried to compensate with eq, but I couldn't get it close to the tone it has when nothing is plugged into the loop.

ledvedder

Reaction score
Would this be somethung that's a possibility?

"Replace the current (pre tone stack) master volume pot with a fixed 1M resistor. Install the Metro Zero Loss FX loop after the treble pot viper. Add a new master volume between the output of the loop and the PI input.

This picture is for the Tube-Town FX loop, but it will be pretty much the same for your amp (after you've removed the pre tone-stack master)."

Attachments

• 5973_1.jpg
    5973_1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 15

jman271

Reaction score
that may work, test it! ps- posting a new amp clip, I bought a variac, omg,,,

ledvedder

Reaction score
that may work, test it! ps- posting a new amp clip, I bought a variac, omg,,,

I heard it on Facebook. Sounds great!

OK, Nik says that the option I stated above should work. Problem is, I'm fairly new to this, so I'm not exactly sure what to do. I find layouts very helpful.

johan.b

Reaction score
again, I would just replace the blue wire in your layout, original post, (on/off/on ERA going to master volume) with your new loop. that way, the level to the loop will stay fairly constant and everything else functions as originally intended.
j

ledvedder

Reaction score
And yet another option. What do you guys think of this?

Attachments

• chupametro1.png
    chupametro1.png
    723 KB · Views: 24

tschrama

Reaction score
Can you explain this?

If you need explanaition for that, you better go to a tech. Not dissing you, but you learn more that way, and have a far better change of a good working loop. Zero-loss FX loops can be bought from 25 euro. in germany and around.

Last edited:

ledvedder

Reaction score
Well guys, this is what I vae so far. I didn't mount anything yet, I just wanted to wire it up and test the results.