Help Fixing Ceriatone Effects Loop?

• Thread starter ledvedder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

twothemax

Reaction score
sounds like you got it. good videos
wander if nik would make one without his fx loop. and a guy could then just add the metro loop later. wander if a guy could make this footswitchable?
good job let us know how it works when you got it back togeather.

ledvedder

Reaction score
sounds like you got it. good videos
wander if nik would make one without his fx loop. and a guy could then just add the metro loop later. wander if a guy could make this footswitchable?
good job let us know how it works when you got it back togeather.

Thanks! I posted it on Ceriatone's Facebook.

ledvedder

Reaction score
just wandering if this could of been wired to where the original loop was?
i see that ceriatone offers this under accessories .http://www.ceriatone.com/mod-buffered-loop-switch/
would the buffered fx loop mod offered by ceriatone fixed this?

It's possible I suppose. Nik told me it wouldn't work well with the Chupa. But, he also told me the metro loop wouldn't work well with it. The only reason I went with the metro is because several people were telling me they have used the metro loop in Jose Marshall's, and it worked great.

ledvedder

Reaction score
Now I'm wondering I'd the ceriatone buffered loop is similar to the metro. Because it may fit in the chassis without having to modify it like the metro.

twothemax

Reaction score
yah i just notice that too.
anyways you did a good job. i was just curious about the buffered loop nik offers.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad you have it resolved.

I bought a Yeti from a guy in August 2017. Manufacturing date was July 2017. I receive the amplifier. As soon as I plug the quarter inch jack into the new designed buffered fx loop and just overall sounded muffled and bad. Guess I discovered why he sold it (turd).

Instead of even messing with it I ripped out Nik’s junk loop and inserted one of the metro zero loss loops I had in stock. It worked great.

I pulled the metro loop and did a simple insertion loop which has absolutely no components and it truly is zero loss. Sounded pretty damn good. Mark Cameron sent me the schematic for his channel 2 of his CCV (very high gain Jose with toggle options). I made these changes with great success. Thank you Mark.

Here is a clip of the finished result. I put it in a full size Marshall Super Lead Head Box and sold it. The new owner loves it. I sold it because I have too many amps and used it to fund the purchase of older Marshall’s to mod into BE/HBE 100’s and Cameron non cathode Cantrell amps in addition to my own designs.

Dig...IPhone with Marshall Vintage 30’s.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
WHERE is the schematic to the metro effects board?

Lots of people sell "kits..." BUT, what they do not tell you is:

You need to adapt the "kit" to the amp and this is not simple.
You have no test equipment to test and adjust the levels....therefore you cannot expect a professional result.

I'm not surprised, at all. If you want a loop to work correctly: the levels must be carefully set to match the amp circuitry.

Passive effects return: HOW could the level be correct? Sorry, I think there's a major flaw in this design.

"...So, as soon as I plug any pedal into it, the sound becomes muffled...."

How non - surprising. BUT the point being: it's not YOU that is causing this. It's the design.

ledvedder

Reaction score
Glad you have it resolved.

I bought a Yeti from a guy in August 2017. Manufacturing date was July 2017. I receive the amplifier. As soon as I plug the quarter inch jack into the new designed buffered fx loop and just overall sounded muffled and bad. Guess I discovered why he sold it (turd).

Instead of even messing with it I ripped out Nik’s junk loop and inserted one of the metro zero loss loops I had in stock. It worked great.

I pulled the metro loop and did a simple insertion loop which has absolutely no components and it truly is zero loss. Sounded pretty damn good. Mark Cameron sent me the schematic for his channel 2 of his CCV (very high gain Jose with toggle options). I made these changes with great success. Thank you Mark.

Here is a clip of the finished result. I put it in a full size Marshall Super Lead Head Box and sold it. The new owner loves it. I sold it because I have too many amps and used it to fund the purchase of older Marshall’s to mod into BE/HBE 100’s and Cameron non cathode Cantrell amps in addition to my own designs.

Dig...IPhone with Marshall Vintage 30’s.

Man, I'd love to be able to do this, considering the metro loop is almost impossible to install physically into the head, since there is limited space.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
This is Ceriatone's explanation for the pussy trimmer - "However, if you are a straight-to-amp player, we have installed a trimmer aptly named “PUSSY TRIMMER”. The amp is sent from our test bench with it at its maximum setting (out of circuit). If this background gain wash and tendency to feedback bothers you, you can turn down this control to reign in the amplifier‟s “gainiac” nature. The PUSSY TRIMMER is currently offered inside the amp (The 1M trim pot near V2 tube)."

I definitely helps control feedback and allows more flexibility in the gain settings. You can make the gain less hairy and smoother, if that makes sense.

That is code for adjustment of a unstable input circuit. My $.02

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Man, I'd love to be able to do this, considering the metro loop is almost impossible to install physically into the head, since there is limited space.

I installed one. Order the Metro with the jacks not attached. Put jacks in existing holes. Run leads from board to jacks. Epoxy board to main PCB. Tap treble wiper and PI input cap. If using pedals set switch to -20db. If powered rack set to +4db. DONE.

David

ledvedder

Reaction score
I installed one. Order the Metro with the jacks not attached. Put jacks in existing holes. Run leads from board to jacks. Epoxy board to main PCB. Tap treble wiper and PI input cap. If using pedals set switch to -20db. If powered rack set to +4db. DONE.

David

I did eventually install the Metro loop. I removed the jacks from the metro board and used buss wire to connect them. It works great.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

David

I did eventually install the Metro loop. I removed the jacks from the metro board and used buss wire to connect them. It works great.
I was wondering exactly this, how you lined up the metro jacks with the Ceriatone holes. Good job both of you!

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wondering exactly this, how you lined up the metro jacks with the Ceriatone holes. Good job both of you!

I ordered them disconnected from George when I know it’s gonna be something like that.

FourT6and2

Reaction score
That is code for adjustment of a unstable input circuit. My $.02

Nah. The trimmer simply turns the shunt resistor normally part of the V2a voltage divider into a variable resistor so you can choose how much signal to ground out. Replace it with the typical 470K to ground if you want. There's nothing unstable about the circuit. It's a 1M pot, though. So it needs to be set to 3/4 of max to get the typical Marshall value. It's kind of a pointless control when you've got two gain knobs on the front of the amp, though. The real story behind it is someone brought a prototype Chupacabra to one of the amp get-togethers (James Lugo's). And people said the amp had too much gain (they all played typical '80s cock rock). So Ceriatone put in the pussy trimmer as a joke to reduce some gain if you're a puss.

When I mod these amps, I just rip it out and replace with a 470K resistor.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nah. The trimmer simply turns the shunt resistor normally part of the V2a voltage divider into a variable resistor so you can choose how much signal to ground out. Replace it with the typical 470K to ground if you want. There's nothing unstable about the circuit. It's a 1M pot, though. So it needs to be set to 3/4 of max to get the typical Marshall value. It's kind of a pointless control when you've got two gain knobs on the front of the amp, though. The real story behind it is someone brought a prototype Chupacabra to one of the amp get-togethers (James Lugo's). And people said the amp had too much gain (they all played typical '80s cock rock). So Ceriatone put in the pussy trimmer as a joke to reduce some gain if you're a puss.

When I mod these amps, I just rip it out and replace with a 470K resistor.

As I read, I thought perhaps someone was stating it was to control oscillation. Thanks for the clarification. Pussy trim. Isn't that like a shaved Beaver? Many ways to clip the circuit. Skin the cat, Trim the Puss etc...

Peace. David...♫

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I just got a Ceriatone 2550 with the base model fx loop. I decided I needed a verb after going from a Twin to an AC30 to this. I was skeptical but I thought since my Boss RV3 like almost every Boss pedal is buffered it would be okay. Works perfectly. Played the amp for an hour without it, hooked it up and I can't hear any difference except it's now a Jube with verb. If I keep it for a long time I might still do a kit in case I try non buffered pedals in it.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a Ceriatone 2550 with the base model fx loop. I decided I needed a verb after going from a Twin to an AC30 to this. I was skeptical but I thought since my Boss RV3 like almost every Boss pedal is buffered it would be okay. Works perfectly. Played the amp for an hour without it, hooked it up and I can't hear any difference except it's now a Jube with verb. If I keep it for a long time I might still do a kit in case I try non buffered pedals in it.

That is what I refer to as an injection loop. No components and it can’t sound any more like an unbroken circuit than that. I use them sometimes. Great for studios and around the house. I use powered rack gear. With a non buffered pedal out over 20’ you would likely start to have anomalies, signal and EQ Loss.

Glad you are pleased. I must use a buffered Loop (Metropoulos) in the Modded amps I sell as customer service is number one.

David

Last edited:

John DeVries

Reaction score
So the Metro loop uses the same insert points for the loop at the treble wiper and you just move the return line to the PI cap?

Last edited:

Latest posts