Help me identify a 1979 JMP amp

• Thread starter Sandalf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sandalf

Reaction score
Hi!

I am new to this forum. I got this amp for free when I purchased a fender Stratocaster the other day. The original owner had died and it had been in the ladys garage for a couple of years and she was about to throw i t away.

Anyway, can someone help me identify the exact model? Production year is 1979 (serial xxxxxL) but there is no model name on the amp, neither on the fromt or back. Anyone got any suggestions? Cabinet might be a lot newer,

Best regards

Mattias

Last edited:

Trouble Free

Reaction score
Looks like it is a non Uk Us version. Probably 1987 lead head. Sometimes it says on the top of that paper in picture 4, the top is cut off in the picture. Some pictures inside would probably help more.

Remember to have the speakers plugged in any time you turn the amp on, unless you are trying to kill it.

Sandalf

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips!! So probably a 4 channel 1986 or 1987? It sounds really good.

Uploading some more pictures - it would be nice to know exactly. How about the cabinet?

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips!! So probably a 4 channel 1986 or 1987? It sounds really good.

Uploading some more pictures - it would be nice to know exactly. How about the cabinet?

View attachment 83711 View attachment 83712 View attachment 83713 View attachment 83714 View attachment 83715
Welcome to the forum
Awesome amp
I am pretty sure the head shell is correct for the year in question, the MV amps also marked JMP were all in this style head shell 77- 80 before they went with the JCM style cab, congratulations on a great amp score brother..
Cheers
Mitch

Sandalf

Reaction score
Again, thanks for all the replies!

Yes its a Swedish amp (some of the stickers are in swedish on the back). Did Marshall make special models for the scandinavian/non-uk/us market? Does 1987 refer to the circuit board? The back does not look like other 1987s on google at least... Is there anyway to be sure about the model?

To the strat - its a beat up 1977 hardtail 3 tone sunburst faded to a 2 tone sunburst. There is still a smell of cigaretts from old clubs under the pickguard. Fantastic instrument.
63110795765__630E9D41-4A82-4084-AC44-5E1FB5AE01E2.jpg IMG_7446.jpg IMG_7448.jpg IMG_7443.jpg

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Man, look at that mildew or dust in that case. Looks like it’s been sitting for quite a while, too.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
The colors on that strat remind me of my first real strat from back in 79 , mine was not a hard tail though.
Cheers
Mitch

william vogel

Reaction score
That’s a badass strat. I’m a Les Paul player. I owned strats but sell them quickly because I don’t like the position of the volume knob, the bridge and the scale length. I could hold that strat, I believe.

Trouble Free

Reaction score

Yes its a Swedish amp (some of the stickers are in swedish on the back). Did Marshall make special models for the scandinavian/non-uk/us market? Does 1987 refer to the circuit board? The back does not look like other 1987s on google at least... Is there anyway to be sure about the model?

The ones with red text seem to be the non UK US versions. There is subtle differences including no 16 ohm tap.

1987 is the model (probably the most desirable) But you could have a 1986. It really doesn't matter you scored either way.

A 3 bolt CBS strat? a piece of history in itself.

V-man

Reaction score

View attachment 83711 View attachment 83712 View attachment 83713 View attachment 83714 View attachment 83715

Just to clarify for you: channels don’t = inputs and 4 inputs aren’t 4 channels.

It’s 2 channels: Ch1 hi input & ch1 lo input; and Ch 2 hi input & ch2 lo input.

4 holes (2 channels) means non master volume on vintage JMPs and 2 holes (inputs) generally is the single channel master volume 2203/4 amps.

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

To the strat - its a beat up 1977 hardtail 3 tone sunburst faded to a 2 tone sunburst. There is still a smell of cigaretts from old clubs under the pickguard. Fantastic instrument.
View attachment 83721 View attachment 83723 View attachment 83724 View attachment 83722
Yes, Marshall made models for different countries. On the inspection sticker, top right, the destination country would be indicated here:

Home = United Kingdom
USA = United State's of
America
CAN = Canada
The inspection sticker on this amp has been cut at the top removing the Country of Destination code.
I am thinking like @Rudy v , it may have been made for the Canadian Market, hence the English to French translation, and found it's way to Scandinavia or Deutschland, wherever it was when you acquired it.
Your chassis is a 50 Watt but the head box has the top vent which is typically used for 100 Watt Heads. Can you check to see if there are two sets of drill holes for chassis mounting? The 50 Watt chassis has a smaller foot print. So there would be eight holes drilled into the underside of the head box. I have never seen a 50 Watt chassis intentionally installed in a 100 watt headbox by Marshall. Had this been closer to the JCM transition year one could argue they were using up what they had but it's not.
The amp in the photos has a 1979 Model Year indicated on the inspection sticker. Serial Number 04878L, It's stamped near the inspection sticker and the "L" agrees with the model year.
The amp itself appears to be a 1987 model. It has 4-Inputs, and two (2) power tubes making it appear to be a 50 Watt 1987 (Model) Non-Master Volume manufactured in 1979 (Year). The Red Marshall text in English is translated to French on the rear panel.

Here are two additional resources to help
SoloDallas.com | The Vintage Marshall Guide
Marshall Model #1987 Lead – Amp Archives

Also, The biggest problem I saw was everything was turned down to Zero, You have got to fix that!!!!!

Last edited: