Help me identify a 1979 JMP amp

• Thread starter Sandalf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty-D

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:I am going to agree with Ray that it's Canadian. I would wager if one was to look inside there would be a seperate little board with a bunch of fuses on it. No 16ohm tap also the red lightning bolts and the weird ohm/mains selectors and the French text on the back are dead giveaways and are not on any other amps from back then that I know of however there are many, many more qualified members that can tell you I'm wrong and lI wouldn't argue with them.Congrats on a kick ass amp! Play it LOUD!

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
The ones with red text seem to be the non UK US versions. There is subtle differences including no 16 ohm tap.

1987 is the model (probably the most desirable) But you could have a 1986. It really doesn't matter you scored either way.

A 3 bolt CBS strat? a piece of history in itself.
Canadian ones have no 16 ohm. U.S. do.

Uncle Fester

Reaction score
Hi!

I am new to this forum. I got this amp for free when I purchased a fender Stratocaster the other day. The original owner had died and it had been in the ladys garage for a couple of years and she was about to throw i t away.

Anyway, can someone help me identify the exact model? Production year is 1979 (serial xxxxxL) but there is no model name on the amp, neither on the fromt or back. Anyone got any suggestions? Cabinet might be a lot newer,

Best regards

Mattias

View attachment 83681
View attachment 83684
View attachment 83685 View attachment 83686
View attachment 83687 View attachment 83688
IMG_7465.PNG

IMG_7458.HEIC

IMG_7453.HEIC

IMG_7452.heic

IMG_7450.HEIC

IMG_7455.HEIC

Uncle Fester

Reaction score
Take the amp into a tech.

Absolute Critical that the Grid Coupling Caps are inspected and or changed and Also the Filter Caps.
You got this rig for free, so just do it.
A total Service for this amp is $300 usd.

Call several music stores in your area.
You will then know who to take it to.

Otherwise your going to be playing and then POP Zing HUMKMMZ. Amp is dead and your repair bill is $700 or more.

That Drake Tranny, most likely you aint finding a new replacement.
The Tech will verify the Model.

Super Lead has a Presence Control
Super Bass has a Slope Control

Now on a side note:
Your amp Has EH El 34's. This tells me that the amp
may have been serviced within the past several years.

The Blue Caps:
What are the dates on those?

If so have the Tech Clean up the amp, (internal dust and cob webs) This will buy you Peace of Mind.

neikeel

Reaction score
Who does random grid coupling cap changes?! How often do they fail?
If you are going to sell it leave it alone, just take lots of photos inside, outside and underneath, also the preamp valve type (ie old or new production).
I agree the Superlead has Presence control but please tell me more about the Superbass slope control and how that works as i would like to learn, but bearing in mind this is a NMV 50w amp?
If you are going to gig with it or play it hard into an attenuator then a proper service by someone who knows what they're looking at and how to get it to work at its best would be very sensible. This may/or may not involve a set of valves, filter and bias caps. The 50uF Daly's are 28th week of 1975 date code, the PT is September 1979 and it is a Swedish model 1987 or 1986.
Open her up and take some pics of the circuit board and the filter caps as this would be very helpful.

Rudy v

Reaction score
The canadian ones also have a shitton of fuses inside the amp to meet canadian fire regulations or something like that

Attachments

• DSCN2709.jpg
    DSCN2709.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4