Help me identify a 1979 JMP amp

• Thread starter Sandalf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JP2036

Reaction score
Amp seem the Scandinavian model.
Appears to be a 1987 50 watt model with 4 inputs.
Headshell is not original to the amp as only 100 watt JMP's had vent on top.
79 is first year for JMP serial on front so good possibility its a 79.
Canada & Scandinavia models have no 16 ohm speaker tap so limited there.
Also these two export models have internal mounted fuse boards.
Daly filter cans seem original. Likely time for new ones if going to be gigging, replace the bias caps as well.

Sandalf

Reaction score
Ok so the mystery continues :)

Probably a canadian/scandinavian export non-master, 4 input, 50 watt 1987, installed in a 100watt head box ending up in sweden in the early 80's. Very nice. I will check the drill holes when i get back home. Any other suggestions?

Fellow Swede Wenander has posted a picture of his 50w 1987 export with the same backpanel as mine in this thread, 6 posts down.
https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...questions-if-you-have-one-please-read.114245/

So the problem now is the volume since i live in a small flat in a building from 1905... Any tips on attenuators?

this is the setup now. The ibanez bp10 compressor was also included...
IMG_7474 2.jpg

Last edited:

johan.b

Reaction score
No mystery. Its a "built for Sweden" amp. You can tell by the "S" sticker. It's the approval of "Semko" swedish equivalent of UL in USA or SCA in Canada. The heat breaker between the output tubes was a Sweden only thing, I believe, that appeared a few years in the seventies. It will have fuses for everything, almost, on a separate board on the inside. Similar to Canadian Market amps. Probably sounds great after some tlc.
J

AndyD

Reaction score
The 100w cab is interesting. Might it have been a combo? As for attenuation, it depends on the ohmage of the cab. If it’s 8 ohms, I would always recommend a Marshall Power Brake.

Sandalf

Reaction score
.. and eh.. yeah . If you don't want it, give it to me and I'll dispose of it properly...;)
J
Hehe I still want it but maybe someone who can actually play on more than 0.5 volume has better use for it so might have to sell it unfortunately.

Last edited:

JP2036

Reaction score

Probably a canadian/scandinavian export non-master, 4 input, 50 watt 1987, installed in a 100watt head box ending up in sweden in the early 80's. Very nice. I will check the drill holes when i get back home. Any other suggestions?

Fellow Swede Wenander has posted a picture of his 50w 1987 export with the same backpanel as mine in this thread, 6 posts down.
https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...questions-if-you-have-one-please-read.114245/

So the problem now is the volume since i live in a small flat in a building from 1905... Any tips on attenuators?

View attachment 83757
If there is metal shielding on the bottom of the headshell beyond the 50 watt chassis which there should be for a 100 watt you have your answer.
Hard to tell in the pics but i thought i saw it.
Im positive about the vent on top for 100 watt only.

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 83757
Check out these videos from Euge Valovrita. It's a great review of what I believe you're trying to achieve:

BUGERA PS1 Power Soak vs SUHR Reactive Load / I.R. - Direct Recording - YouTube

BUGERA PS1 POWER SOAK - Crank your tube amp and play at bedroom levels. - YouTube

Sandalf

Reaction score
If there is metal shielding on the bottom of the headshell beyond the 50 watt chassis which there should be for a 100 watt you have your answer.
Hard to tell in the pics but i thought i saw it.
Im positive about the vent on top for 100 watt only.

No extra shielding, no extra drill holes either - looks factory made. I guess the 100W amp is wider and there would be some signs of a change from a 50 to a 100w during the years.

jhs5150

Reaction score
Hi!

I am new to this forum. I got this amp for free when I purchased a fender Stratocaster the other day. The original owner had died and it had been in the ladys garage for a couple of years and she was about to throw i t away.

Anyway, can someone help me identify the exact model? Production year is 1979 (serial xxxxxL) but there is no model name on the amp, neither on the fromt or back. Anyone got any suggestions? Cabinet might be a lot newer,

Best regards

Mattias

View attachment 83681
View attachment 83684
View attachment 83685 View attachment 83686
View attachment 83687 View attachment 83688
IMG_7465.PNG

IMG_7458.HEIC

IMG_7453.HEIC

IMG_7452.heic

IMG_7450.HEIC

IMG_7455.HEIC