Hey Guys! Does this cab look all original?

• Thread starter SuperBeaver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
I have no reason to doubt other than the uneven piping.

What do you think? Is it the original basketweave?

1970bcab3_zpsb2b50a31.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1970bcab1_zps9803aa43.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MarshallDog

Reaction score
It looks like the standard larger piping used by Marshall even back then but after 44 years who knows what the piping will look like. Probably the only way to tell for sure is to take the whole speaker frame out and check the stapling around the edges to see if it looks like the original staples or new ones and that would give you a clue as to if the piping is original or not...

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
It looks like the standard larger piping used by Marshall even back then but after 44 years who knows what the piping will look like. Probably the only way to tell for sure is to take the whole speaker frame out and check the stapling around the edges to see if it looks like the original staples or new ones and that would give you a clue as to if the piping is original or not...

Yes, that's sounds like a good idea. Cheers.

Blueslicks

Reaction score
That looks amazing.

I'm guessing the cloth is either original or whoever replaced it is an expert based on how straight the lines are at the edges.

Another thing you can try "if you dare"...is to GENTLY pry the edges of the logo upwards using something like a flat putty knife. DON'T DIG INTO THE CLOTH OR PUT TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE LOGO THOUGH. (put masking tape over the putty knifes sharp edges first!) If the material is original, you should see discoloration under the logo that is darker than the exposed grill cloth.

Those are not vintage casters though.

george76

Reaction score
it looks a bit suspect to me. not the actual material but the installation is wonky (curves off at top left), and the white piping looks out at top right.

maybe a lash-up. do you have pics of the rest of the cab?

having the basketweave curve off on the last corner is a common mistake people make when installing basketweave. especially if they have followed the jim scumback tutorial.

the basketweave can get wavy over time but not usually at the very corner like that.

there are a lot of lash-ups and fakes out there so you need to be careful.

keennay

Reaction score
Wow, that nicely matches my 'worn out' 1969 4x12 cab.

I would buy that cab TODAY if it was in my state.

20121125_163554.jpg

Ken

Reaction score
I'm no expert but the grill looks redone due to the sloppiness of the piping but I suppose it could look like that with age. My 1980 and 1983 vintage cabs are neater though. The tolex doesn't seem to have the right wear and age on the edges from what I can see. More cab pics would help. Look at the pic keennay posted. This is the typical look of an old cabinet's edges: lots of dings. This one is very clean...if it was put away what's with the torn up back and piping around the grill?

That being said, this is still a very desirable and valuable cabinet!

Ken

stilllifer

Reaction score
Unless you are asking about it being all original due to the fact that someone is trying to sell it as all original when it might not be, I think the important thing here is how it sounds...I'm sure those pre-rola G12M's sound fantastic and the cab looks in great shape for its' age and looks amazing. Just play it!!! :shred:

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
Unless you are asking about it being all original due to the fact that someone is trying to sell it as all original when it might not be, I think the important thing here is how it sounds...I'm sure those pre-rola G12M's sound fantastic and the cab looks in great shape for its' age and looks amazing. Just play it!!! :shred:

Thanks for all the help guys. the cab is now confirmed beyond all reasonable doubt to be (apart form the castors and a steel Switchcraft jack socket) 100% genuine. It just happens to be in great shape for a 44 year old cabinet.

Reactions: Ken

Ken

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help guys. the cab is now confirmed beyond all reasonable doubt to be (apart form the castors and a steel Switchcraft jack socket) 100% genuine. It just happens to be in great shape for a 44 year old cabinet.

Nice score then! :applause:

Ken

soundboy57

Reaction score
Very nice score!
I agree with being skeptical on a new buy...but Marshall did get sloppy on more than a few cabs....wavy piping, crooked cloth, wrinkled tolex....I have seen it all.
I would say 95% are pretty nicely done, though...IME.

Very clean cab you have. Pulling the baffle and checking the staples is the only
sure way to tell if it has been messed with.