• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

High Gain Peavey/Mesa guy looking for first Marshall for 80s rock and thrash

• Thread starter JJB79
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
In other news, now a dude on Facebook marketplace who I messages several days ago now got back to me. A DSL100H fullstack, yes, a full stack, for $750. I'm not hard up so I'm gonna check it out. Now I don't know what the cabs are but can assume it's whatever is paired with it. If it's seriously like new and the cabs are quality even if the speakers are shit it's still an amazing deal as I can fill the cabs with whatever I want, or sell one of them for a decent price. I have no need for 2 4x12s but I think just keeping one would be fine.
Something doesn't sound right. The heads alone go for $600-$700 used.

Keep us posted. Hope you score big.

JJB79

Reaction score
Something doesn't sound right. The heads alone go for $600-$700 used.

Keep us posted. Hope you score big.
Ok I went over to dudes house, and I guess he's retired and had a bunch of shit he doesn't know what to do with and wants to give normal people good deals instead of Guitar Center. I'm guessing the cabs are lower models though. Pretty tiny for 4x12s. But he also had guitars everywhere, Seriously. Going down the stairs, guitars on the wall, livingroom, basement, everywhere. He offered to sell me 4 guitars, a Dean, a Jackson, an Ibanez, etc for $500. but I didn't have much time nor the cash in hand, but I might have to do that. He also offered me a Fender Strat for $500. He had just a ton of shit he's looking to unload for a good price. No Gibsons though unfortunately. If he offered me a Les Paul for $500 I would have called in late to work and went and got the money right then and there.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Ok I went over to dudes house, and I guess he's retired and had a bunch of shit he doesn't know what to do with and wants to give normal people good deals instead of Guitar Center. I'm guessing the cabs are lower models though. Pretty tiny for 4x12s. But he also had guitars everywhere, Seriously. Going down the stairs, guitars on the wall, livingroom, basement, everywhere. He offered to sell me 4 guitars, a Dean, a Jackson, an Ibanez, etc for $500. but I didn't have much time nor the cash in hand, but I might have to do that. He also offered me a Fender Strat for $500. He had just a ton of shit he's looking to unload for a good price. No Gibsons though unfortunately. If he offered me a Les Paul for $500 I would have called in late to work and went and got the money right then and there.
Shiiiit, snag as much as you can!

Are you in upstate NY by any chance? Lol

JJB79

Reaction score
Shiiiit, snag as much as you can!

Are you in upstate NY by any chance? Lol
Haha, sorry no, South Dakota. lol But I think I might have to. Even if I don't need it, I can resell. These MG cabs I could sell for probably 150 a pop which brights the cost of the amp down to $450 which is awesome. But gotta get a decent cab for it, but those 1960As aren't easy to come by in a local market here.

JJB79

Reaction score
Just ordered a 1960A! wouldn't say it was a great deal, but not terrible. This was a shipped via GC because it seems pretty unlikely in this lightly populated area one would show up, cheap. about 542 after shipping and taxes. Says good condition. How do you guys think these would be if I swapped speakers?

V-man

Reaction score
Just ordered a 1960A! wouldn't say it was a great deal, but not terrible. This was a shipped via GC because it seems pretty unlikely in this lightly populated area one would show up, cheap. about 542 after shipping and taxes. Says good condition. How do you guys think these would be if I swapped speakers?
This is the standard cab for all flagship Marshalls and the speakers used have as much if not more of an effect of your overall guitar tone than the amp itself.

JJB79

Reaction score
This is the standard cab for all flagship Marshalls and the speakers used have as much if not more of an effect of your overall guitar tone than the amp itself.
Yup, this is why I selected it. And via my searches, locally, I'd be out of luck for years, and it seems most are going for above the $500 mark so snagged one shipped to my local GC for like $540 total. Just seems like one of those look around forever to find it for $300 type of deal.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
All the DSLs are a bit fizzy. The latest generation DSLs are fizzy and also slightly mid scooped and tubby, needing a boost like the TS9 to lift the mids and tighten up the low end; running the master volume high isn’t enough to get them to do that. A JCM800 head with a boost upfront is the rig of classic metal and thrash.

Any standard line Marshall cab will do. Choose between the more old-school G12T-75 and the more modern Vintage 30. The Vintage 30 sounds more compact and can be prone to fizz, but records great.

I’m sure there are other amp choices, but the JCM800 would be my first recommendation. It’s a classic amp you can’t go wrong with.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
All the DSLs are a bit fizzy. The latest generation DSLs are fizzy and also slightly mid scooped and tubby, needing a boost like the TS9 to lift the mids and tighten up the low end; running the master volume high isn’t enough to get them to do that. A JCM800 head with a boost upfront is the rig of classic metal and thrash.

Any standard line Marshall cab will do. Choose between the more old-school G12T-75 and the more modern Vintage 30. The Vintage 30 sounds more compact and can be prone to fizz, but records great.

I’m sure there are other amp choices, but the JCM800 would be my first recommendation. It’s a classic amp you can’t go wrong with.
I've never played a fizzy DSL. Maybe I don't run the gain (2-3) or presence (4-5) high enough. What causes it?

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I've never played a fizzy DSL. Maybe I don't run the gain (2-3) or presence (4-5) high enough. What causes it?
It's a combination of factors, including volume, gain settings, and EQ. Purely EQ-wise, the new DSLs are slightly mid scooped. That, combined with low volumes, adds up to a hollowed out, thin, and fizzy sound. This is more noticeable on a recording, but it is also an issue in live playing. Generally speaking, even if it is a good thing, the whole DSL line, starting with the JCM2000 DSL, and ending with today's DSL generation, has that signature DSL fizz. When the fizz sits atop of a thick sound, as with the JCM2000 DSL100, for example, it could be viewed as a feature, not a bug, but at low volumes and with the more scooped EQ of the latest DSL generation, I would definitely consider that as a factor against the DSL as my main amp of choice. It takes a lot of EQ fiddling to get the DSLs to sound good, even at reasonably high volumes, because by the time you dial in the top end just right, the amp sounds too dark. Turn up the brightness via some combination of Treble and Presence, and you get more brightness but also immediately more fizz and thinness. With the JCM800, for example, the core sound is already quite thick in the middle and rolled off in the top end, so it is easier to get something useable out of it without much knob twiddling. If you examine Megadeth's tone on Rust in Peace, for example, you will notice that it is actually quite dry, tubby, and low gain. Basically, a JCM800. Plexis are even thicker, but they are a bit too old-school for most people. Thus, the JCM800 is a good middle-ground.

Last edited:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
It's a combination of factors, including volume, gain settings, and EQ. Purely EQ-wise, the new DSLs are slightly mid scooped. That, combined with low volumes, adds up to a hollowed out, thin, and fizzy sound. This is more noticeable on a recording, but it is also an issue in live playing. Generally speaking, even if it is a good thing, the whole DSL line, starting with the JCM2000 DSL, and ending with today's DSL generation, has that signature DSL fizz. When the fizz sits atop of a thick sound, as with the JCM2000 DSL100, for example, it could be viewed as a feature, not a bug, but at low volumes and with the more scooped EQ of the latest DSL generation, I would definitely consider that as a factor against the DSL as my main amp of choice. It takes a lot of EQ fiddling to get the DSLs to sound good, even at reasonably high volumes, because by the time you dial in the top end just right, the amp sounds too dark. Turn up the brightness via some combination of Treble and Presence, and you get more brightness but also immediately more fizz and thinness. With the JCM800, for example, the core sound is already quite thick in the middle and rolled off in the top end, so it is easier to get something useable out of it without much knob twiddling. If you examine Megadeth's tone on Rust in Peace, for example, you will notice that it is actually quite dry, tubby, and low gain. Basically, a JCM800. Plexis are even thicker, but they are a bit too old-school for most people. Thus, the JCM800 is a good middle-ground.

Ok that sort of explains my situation. I don't play at low volume. My entire eq section is around 4-5. I have had all 3 versions of the DSL and didn't like the newest one. I preferred the oldest one, and currently own the second gen DSL. I suppose the newest version could be fizzy, it's definitely scooped which is one reason I didn't keep it.

No need to examine RIP anymore. Did plenty of that back in the day. Coincidentally, cranking it while I type actually. :dude:

Have you listened to the crappy remastered version? What a pile!

Seventh Son

Reaction score
@Leonard Neemoil I have not listened to the remastered version; I still have the original pressing. I am not the biggest Megadeath fan, but the reason I used them is because I think they represent a worthwhile case study in classic thrash, something the OP is into.

Shred Monster

Reaction score
I'd have to drive for a few hours to pick it up. I know Marshalls are like the "classic" amp but I have very little knowledge of all their different amps. Now I'm a metal guy so most my knowledge is of the high gain lines. Pretty much what I'm looking for is that "classic" 80s thrash and studio rock sound sound from the 70s/80s so of course I think Marshall. My option here is a Marshall Jcm2000 Dsl head And MARSHALL VS412 Cab for $800 but would have to drive 3 hours to pick it up.

Another option is a Marshall JCM2000 TSL122 used guitar combo tube amp also another long drive for $550

Or a DSL40 Marshall combo amp for $400

The names are just copy/paste off Market place as I have very little knowledge of the different model numbers. NOw as far as my preference of combo amp vs head, I don't mind either as my others I own both.

Since you guys are the experts, what would I be most happy with, and the best deal? HOw is that VS412 cab for example?

Or I could ask a guy I met at work who told me he owns a Silver Jubilee, which I believe is a bit of a newer variety of Marshall, but maybe that might be up my ally? He's not selling it, but I've seen a demo and they seem to sound quite nice.
A DSL 50 w head is a rocker. Heard only good things. Cab really depends on what venues you gig most. You could mic up a DSL 40 to your PA? Rock on.

Latest posts