High pitched squeal on O.D. Channel?

• Thread starter dsl 401
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dsl 401

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a DSL 100H Marshall head the has a high pitched squeal on the od channel.. The green (cleaner) channel is fine even with a distortion pedal at any volume.. When I switch to the red channel it will squeal even at lower volume settings.. Is this normal? Or do I need this thing fixed??
Thanks,
dsl 401

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Just to take it out the equation, change the 12AX7or whatever tube your using for your red channel. Than see it if still happens. Take a look at the circuit while you're at it and see if anything looks burnt out or damaged.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
I keep multiple sets of spares myself. If it is the red channels tube, it wouldn't hurt to just change all the preamp tubes out to have them all in the same age for reliability. than just keep the originals for backups. Plus it would give you an opportunity to shape the tone if you wanted.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oops. Wrong planet. So sorry

Last edited:

jhs5150

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a DSL 100H Marshall head the has a high pitched squeal on the od channel.. The green (cleaner) channel is fine even with a distortion pedal at any volume.. When I switch to the red channel it will squeal even at lower volume settings.. Is this normal? Or do I need this thing fixed??
Thanks,
dsl 401
I've seen something similar before with a DSL 100 and it turned out to be the guitar. Try another one before you go digging into it.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Maybe a microphonic preamp tube?

I get the same thing on my Mesa Rectifier if I switch to the hi gain channel while I have the volume on 10 on my Les Paul, and that is with all new tubes. No problem if I mute the guitar with the selector switch.