Higher frets on a Les Paul

• Thread starter Goosey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goosey

Reaction score
Been playing a bit more stuff on the higher frets of my les paul recently and have found that ive had to change my technique to reach those higher notes. Just wondering how do you other Les Paul or single cut away guitarists play up there comfortably?

bluesymetal

Reaction score
After playing it long enough you just get used to it. My lp has been my #1 for the past 4 years and I don't have a tough time playing higher up the neck.

Adwex

Reaction score
I find it pretty tough too, especially on my baseball bat R7. Never really got used to it, but I don't spend too much time up there anyway.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
ive found it challenging also. anything above, what, 17th fret? tricky stuff to play clean...

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
I just got used to it. At first it was pretty hard for me, but now that I got used to playing between the 17th and 20th fret I play faster there than anywhere else on the fretboard.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
That's one of my complaints about les pauls actualy. A good paul tone is hard to beat but, man....not my favorite for lead work.

i also have big hands so my hands don't fit in most cut aways either.... i have ot really reach with my fingers and not my whole hand...

I will tell you, i also will just splay my hand OVER the frets (no thumb on the neck at all) and use my elbow/arm picking hand to hold the guitar for some of it.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i think thats what make it wierd, if youve got your thumb on the back, you have to stretch the rest of your fingers in an unusual way.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
LP_DC_Pro.jpg

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
+1 on what AD said,

I've learned over the years to pull my thumb back parallel to the neck when going for the higher frets. It's second nature now.

sccloser

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to change my hand position so that my thumb is no longer on the back of the neck supporting my hand. I turn my hand so that my thumb is pointed out toward the audience. That is the most comfortable way for me to play those upper frets, but it is kinda counter intuitive until you get used to it. It is easier than keeping the thumb on the back and doing the stretch, and more accurate IMO.
Check out a video of Ace Frehley...that's how it is done!
But, by far, the easiest way to play the upper frets on a Les Paul is to get one of the early 60's LP's or the equivalent reissue...AKA an SG. Then you can play up there and never change your hand position!

Marshall Mann

Reaction score
Bill Kelliher does it as well.

For those of you that dont have a taste for the heavy stuff (although this is a great example of a 2210 and a 2203 being pushed to the max) skip to 2:25

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uShqlufsq5w]‪MASTODON - "March of the Fire Ants"‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
true that. i just got a yamaha sbg, its a les paul copy, with a symetrical double cutaway, and that guitar is easy to access all the way up. i kind of dont understand why, cuz it still has that gigantic heel, and my thumb isnt anywhere near where the upper uncut bout would be. must be where the neck joins the body that make all the difference.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a couple songs where I'm hitting notes on the 22nd fret and such and I had to ultimately bust out a flying V to be able to hit them comfortably. I can still do it on the Les Paul but like everyone says it's a bit more challenging.

I'll always love a good Paul though.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
It bugged me enough in the late 70s that I began my quest for a double-cut guitar that produced Gibson LP tones... which turns out is mostly the woods and hardware.

Played an Ibanez Artist for 30 years that filled the bill (traded a new LP Custom + $200 at the time). Got starry eyed over the LP DC Pro pictured above a few years ago and sold it. Couldn't get comfortable on the new neck-heavy LP and sold it, regretting the sale of my old favorite. Finally found a lesser known Dean built just like it and found bliss again. Won't be selling this one.

j2112c

Reaction score
Yeah... Les Pauls.... shite they are.. another Gibson design cock up... Would not buy an overpriced bedpan myself.... Go for a Hamer instead...:fingersx:

Joking. Of course!:)
High registers are a pain in the arse and any way you look at it you will need to adjust your technique for an LP.
Personally, I don't think you should ever have to for a guitar, but there you go, Gibson builds them not me.:naughty:

Changes...
If you have big hands like me, play as you always do but you need to get used to adding extra muscle behind your bends to get them where you want in the high frets where you lose the leverage for bends.
Or, if you do not think it would disrupt your vibrato and bends which is afterall most of your style, I would suggest going classical style thumb behind neck... But it radically alters your tone and style... Beautiful to see when done well though... Great example Doug Aldrich without doubt!
I don't do this as though it looks nice and is no strain, it stops me sounding like me.

... The final way is to raise the guitar right up to your chest, the heel no longer is a problem but you don't look at all cool... You look like cock rather than rock.

diesel king

Reaction score
I only own les pauls so my playing is adjusted to hit those high frets. I have my guitar pretty low too!

DSL100 Dude

Reaction score
:confused:

I will admit that until just now I never thought about it. Tomorrow I will have to spend some time playing and see what the heck I do...

Latest posts