History of Operadio- Dawn of High Gain Amps

• Thread starter ampmadscientist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that Operadio goes back to 1922!
But the amp I had was circa 1947.

They used to make outrageous PA speakers, and giant tube PA heads....
Besides making the "first" portable radio receivers.
Audio Pre-Amplifier 1A65 Ampl/Mixer Operadio Corp.; St.

Vintage Operadio Model WH7003 Speaker

Audio Pre-Amplifier 1A65 Ampl/Mixer Operadio Corp.; St.Audio Pre-Amplifier 1A65 Ampl/Mixer Operadio Corp.; St. Charles IL, build 1948 ?, 1 pictures, 4 schematics, 6 tubes, United States of America , semiconductors

View on www.radiomuseum.org
Preview by Yahoo

These guys were the true pioneers of pro sound. The amps they built ate mesa boogies for breakfast.
(these amps grind like a chain saw on steroids)
Infinite sustain, the volume goes to 20.

(That's 10 more, isn't it?)

Attachments

• Operadio 3.jpg
    Operadio 3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Operadio 1.jpg
    Operadio 1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Operadio 2.jpg
    Operadio 2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
20? And volume is logarithmic. Thats like a billion more

It sounded like a billion more, check it out:
Model 1A45 has a master volume control.

(History from Dukane .com archives...)

1922 - Operadio Corporation is founded by J. McWilliams Stone. Product is first portable wireless radio. The plant is located at 8 South Dearborn, Chicago IL
Operadio.jpg

1925 - Operadio begins developing its own line of industrial control sound systems, control panels and intercoms under the brand name "DuKane"

1927 - Operadio stops making radios and begins to make loudspeakers, amplifiers, and other sound equipment on a contract basis. Could not compete with giant manufacturer of consumer radios.
LoudSpeaker.jpg

Was the giant manufacturer of consumer radios
Marconi? Or who was it?

operadio_1010a_sch.pdf_1.png

The secret Operadio Grind = 6J7 preamp tubes, the same preamp used for Hammond B3.

(National Valve Museum)

Type 6J7 is a contemporary of the 'Magic Three' and almost as ubiquitous. Although originally designed as a detector its linear characteristic and good internal shielding (cf. 6Q7GT) made it a natural choice for audio.

It was for two decades the international standard valve for audio amplifier input stages and audio systems generally. The Mullard-Philips type EF37A, for many years the standard British low-noise audio pentode, is really a 6J7G under another name. In this exhibit we see the Mullard 6J7. The central spigot of the IO base has been broken off.

The thin metal tube envelope is 25 mm in diameter, and excluding the IO base pins, is 60 mm tall.

References: Datasheet, 1040 & 1043. Type 6J7 was first introduced in 1936.

Mullards! I might have known.
Seems like Mullard had some dedicated followers, even back in those early days. The top cap is the control grid, FYI.

Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I think if they ALL had focused on audio amplification rather than radio or RF amplification we would be in a much different place right now...

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Vacuum Pumps
The first vacuum. Otto von Guericke's air pump
Mercury Barometer
The barometer first demonstrated by Evangelista Torricelli
Vacuum Pumps
Magdeberg Hemispheres a demonstration of the force of air pressure
Air Pumps
Improved air pump and treatise on vacuum experiments published.
Pressure explained?
Jacob Hermann suggests that gas pressure is proportional to density and to the square of the average velocity of the gas particles in motion
Avogadro's Law
A principle stated in 1811 by the Italian chemist Amedeo Avogadro (1776-1856) that equal volumes of gases at the same temperature and pressure contain the same number of molecules regardless of their chemical nature and physical properties
Geissler Tube
Johann Geissler produces a mercury vacuum pump and with it he produces the first good vacuum discharge tubes
Gas Properties
Karl Kronig suggests that gas molecules in equilibrium travel in straight lines unless they collide with something
Cathode Rays
Julius Plucker demonstrated that magnetic fields bend what later became known as cathode rays.
Lamps
Joseph Swann patents the the carbon filament incandescent lamp that operates in a partial vacuum
Vacuum Pumps
Geissler-Topler mercury vacuum pump developed
Vacuum Pumps
Hermann Sprengel develops the mercury drop pump
Vacuum Pumps
Sir William Crookes vacuum pumping system
Cathode Rays
C F Varley suggests that cathode rays are particles
Cathode Rays
Sir William Crookes advances the idea that cathode rays are negatively charged particles
Photo-emission
G R Carey invents the photo-electric cell
Gettering
Sir William Crookes demonstrates pumping by chemical getters
Vacuum Pumps
L von Babo develops a self-recycling Sprengel vacuum pump
Telephone
Alexander Graham Bell invents and demonstrates the telephone
Loudspeakers
In Germany on December 14th Ernst Siemens patented the first loudspeaker.
Lamps
Thomas A Edison files US patent on high vacuum carbon filament incandescent lamp
Cathode Rays
Sir William Crookes develops the Crookes Tube, an early form of cathode ray tube
Vacuum Pumps
Edison improves the self-recycling Sprengel-Geissler mercury vacuum pump
Vacuum Pumps
Apparatus for evacuating Edison's electric lamps. Based on Crookes design
Manufacturer
In May 1883 the American company Western Electric opened a small business in London. This was to become Standard Telephones and Cables (STC)
Edison Effect
Thomas A Edison first observes thermionic emission in a vacuum
Edison Effect
John Ambrose Fleming presents a paper on the 'molecular shadow' to the Physical Society of London on May 26
Lamps
In October 1883 the amalgamation of Edison Electric Light Co Ltd and Swan Electric Lighting Co to form Edison and Swan United Electric Light Co. Ltd.
Edison Effect
Sir William Preece duplicates Edison's experiment, makes quantitative measurements and presents a paper to The Royal Society
Positive Ions
Eugen Goldstein observes 'canal' rays (German = Kanalstrahlen). So called because they were emitted through a hole in the cathode.
Cathode Rays
Sir William Crookes performs the Maltese Cross experiment
Cathode Rays
Jonathan Zenneck improves Braun's CRT and adds time base deflection
Valves
The British General Electric Co. Ltd was formed
Valves
A C Cossor Ltd was formed.
Cathode Rays
George J Stoney suggests the name of electron for cathode ray particles
Gettering
Mallgnani Corp demonstrates the use of phosphorus gettering
Valves
The British Thomson-Houston Co. Ltd. was formed
The Electron
Sir Joseph Thomson discovers 'corpuscles' later called electrons
Radio
Guglielmo Marconi sets-up in July 1897 the Wireless Telegraph and Signal Company Limited to commercially exploit his patents
Loudspeakers
Sir Oliver Lodge was granted a patent for a loudspeaker on April 27
Valves
The British Westinghouse Electrical and Manufacturing Co. Ltd was formed. This later became the Metropolitan-Vickers Co. Ltd, (Metrovick)
Vacuum Pumps
James Dewar builds a cryosorption pump using activated charcoal and liquid air
Valves
John Ambrose Fleming becomes scientific adviser to Marconi's company
X-Rays
W C Roentgen wins Nobel prize for Physics for discovery of x-rays
Radio
Gugliemo Marconi transmits signal from England to North America
Electron
Richardson produces an equation for the emission of electrons from incandescent metal filaments
Lamps
Peter Cooper Hewitt develops the fluorescent lamp
Valves
1901: valves introduced and adverts published.
Lamps
Georges Claude builds the first neon lamp
Lamps
E Weintraub develops the mercury arc lamp and rectifier
Lamps
Charles Proteus Steinmetz files a patent on mercury vapour lamp with halide salts to improve colour
Lamps
Peter Cooper Hewitt develops the mercury vapour lamp
Cathode Rays
A C Cossor Ltd make the first British examples of Braun's CRT
Valves
1902: valves introduced and adverts published.
Cathode Rays
Harris J Ryan builds magnetic deflection CRT's
Valves
1903: valves introduced and adverts published.
Cathodes
Arthur Wehnelt publishes details of the oxide coated hot cathode CRT
Valves
January 1904, Arthur Wehnelt patents a diode. The patent does not mention use for rectification of RF. The device is described in connection with charging accumulators
Valves
October 1904, John Ambrose Fleming produces rectification of RF in a valve. Valve history begins
Valves
November 16 1904, John Ambrose Fleming applies for a patent on the Oscillation Valve, later known as the Thermionic Valve and Fleming Diode.
Valves
1904: valves introduced and adverts published.
Cathode Rays
Philip Eduard Anton von Lenard wins Physics Nobel prize for Cathode Rays
Vacuum Pumps
Wolfgang Gaede makes rotary mercury-sealed mechanical vacuum pump
Physics
Albert Einstein explains the photoelectric effect
Valves
1905: valves introduced and adverts published.
Vacuum Pumps
W Voege and Rohn build the thermocouple vacuum gauge

Valves
Lee de Forest invents the Audion (triode) as a sensitive detector!!!
(Dawn of Shredders)

(left) The first prototype Audion with the grid (zigzag wires) between the filament and plate.[11] (right) Later design of an audion tube. The grid and plate are in two parts on either side of the central filament. In both these tubes the filament is burned out.​

De Forest was granted a patent for his early two-electrode version of the Audion on November 13, 1906 (U.S. Patent

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Another "I did a more exstensive Google search-therefore-you are wrong" thread.

Ha ha

:io:

surfguitarkid

Reaction score
Has anyone here actually heard one of these operadio amps with a guitar through it? Are there any sound clips available? I have been watching one on an auction site, and seems interesting.

WhaSudr

Reaction score
I have a 1948 1A65 40watt, still in testing at the moment but hope to use for guitar.

Attachments

• IMG_20151214_170822.jpg
    IMG_20151214_170822.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 7
  • $_1-2.JPG
    $_1-2.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 8

Geetarpicker

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread! Many years ago a friend of mine got some truly great tone with a 1965 SG standard into an Operadio 1A30 and a 2x12, not unlike what one would expect from say an old NMV Marshall 50. Zoom forward a couple decades, I have two 1A30s out in my shed that someday I’m going to restore, I might even have part of the chassis chrome plated which will nicely go with the lighted front panel. One of them actually still works, and yes it kind of gets in the vague ballpark of a JTM45. The input jack is an odd antiquated threaded mic connector but there are 1/4” adapters that easily adapt the amp input for guitar use. These amps also have a few different impedance selections for the output which come in handy. One of my two 1A30 amps has stickers on the back from when it was used as a movie theater amp many MANY years ago. Pretty cool old amps!

Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Reviving an old thread! Many years ago a friend of mine got some truly great tone with a 1965 SG standard into an Operadio 1A30 and a 2x12, not unlike what one would expect from say an old NMV Marshall 50. Zoom forward a couple decades, I have two 1A30s out in my shed that someday I’m going to restore, I might even have part of the chassis chrome plated which will nicely go with the lighted front panel. One of them actually still works, and yes it kind of gets in the vague ballpark of a JTM45. The input jack is an odd antiquated threaded mic connector but there are 1/4” adapters that easily adapt the amp input for guitar use. These amps also have a few different impedance selections for the output which come in handy. One of my two 1A30 amps has stickers on the back from when it was used as a movie theater amp many MANY years ago. Pretty cool old amps!

GK is that YOU?
Oh master of 30 foot guitar cables? :rock:

It MUST be you, for no other could.

Latest posts