History Vs The Internet ....les Pauls

• Thread starter AlvisX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

A '68 IIRC, before all the changes set in as @Deep Purple fan mentioned.
I remember in the early 90's you could get a '68 for about a grand. I wish I had . Watchin them climb outa reach has been unbearable. Ive seen 68's in the 10k range
BTW ,Ronson's Custom was also a 68
Mike Campbell's goldtop that you see in the early Heartbreakers footage is a '68 .I reckon those would be "pre -Norlins"

My 1st Deluxe had been routed for a full humbuzzer in the bridge . I started referring to it as being "Scholz'd"
Kelly Johnson of Girlschool had maybe a couple Scholz'd Deluxes. I often wonder if mine may have been one of em,as she had moved to So Cal for awhile before she expired

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I remember in the early 90's you could get a '68 for about a grand. I wish I had . Watchin them climb outa reach has been unbearable. Ive seen 68's in the 10k range
Mike Campbell's goldtop that you see in the early Heartbreakers footage is a '68 .I reckon those would be "pre -Norlins"

My 1st Deluxe had been routed for a full humbuzzer in the bridge . I started referring to it as being "Scholz'd"
Kelly Johnson of Girlschool had maybe a couple Scholz'd Deluxes. I often wonder if mine may have been one of em,as she had moved to So Cal for awhile before she expired
I saw Girlschool with Iron Maiden and Scorpions at Long Beach Arena. Damn if I knew the guitars back then.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score

I'm a bit older than you......when Gibson re-issued those LP Gold Tops, they were $265.00 new.:locked:

I bought my '69 335 (new) for $250.00.:dude:

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
When I purchased my 1971 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top used for $750.00, my guitar buddies told me that I was crazy and spent too much.

Norlin named it "Les Paul Standard '58".

Norlin didn't know their own history.......it's more like a 1954 re-issue.

I've re-attached the pick guard (autographed by Les Paul).

My Gold Top..............

1971GibsonLPGoldTop.jpg
1971GibsonLPGoldTopbodA.jpg
gibsonlpface4.jpg

Here's one that was sold:

https://Reverb(dot)com/p/gibson-les-paul-standard-58-54-reissue-goldtop-1972?ended_listing=3245532

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I purchased my 1971 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top used for $750.00, my guitar buddies told me that I was crazy and spent too much.

Yep, they're going for a lotta money nowdays .....in fact, so much money that Id just pass em over scoop up a 50's Junior .....or two

AMPPILOT

Reaction score
got my 68 gt used for xmas 72 . i think it was 250 with case my mom pai, it was basically new cond. never played , sold back to store that sold it new . LPs were selling like crazy fast. i used my 65 SG more , it was light weight . The gt sound great though , tad hard on my back.

Wildeman

Reaction score
This one Bob played is a pretty cool model, i should have bought the one i saw a while back.Screenshot_2018-08-17-06-47-21-1.png

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one Bob played is a pretty cool model, i should have bought the one i saw a while back.View attachment 50109

Supposedly Dan Armstrong did the inlays and TOM/stoptail mods to that guitar (a 56 LP Special) . He brought it to England and horse traded it to Top Gear Music where MARC BOLAN bought it ,but ended up returning it, Marley came in a few weeks later and found an identity.....
The jack plate in the pic was supposed to be a temporary repair from a guitar face plant.
I think Roger Mayer ended up making the aluminum pickguard and switch plate that were on it in the end

Wildeman

Reaction score
Supposedly Dan Armstrong did the inlays and TOM/stoptail mods to that guitar (a 56 LP Special) . He brought it to England and horse traded it to Top Gear Music where MARC BOLAN bought it ,but ended up returning it, Marley came in a few weeks later and found an identity.....
The jack plate in the pic was supposed to be a temporary repair from a guitar face plant.
I think Roger Mayer ended up making the aluminum pickguard and switch plate that were on it in the end
Wow, there was a production one like this in the '70s so i thought it was one of those. Cool story, i heard he has it entombed with him.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, there was a production one like this in the '70s so i thought it was one of those. Cool story, i heard he has it entombed with him.

'74 with wraparound, so the tunematic was added later,maybe when the switch got broke ...

Wildeman

Reaction score
Norlin made this 55 reissue ( in their words) though they dropped the wraparound these are pretty badass. The one i played had a headstock repair but was otherwise killer, i hella should have bought it, it was cheap too.Screenshot_2018-08-17-23-33-17-1.png

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Norlin made this 55 reissue ( in their words) though they dropped the wraparound these are pretty badass. The one i played had a headstock repair but was otherwise killer, i hella should have bought it, it was cheap too.View attachment 50152
I find that Lester’s that have had a neck break are more stable than if they haven’t (given the repair was done properly). Plus, they’re usually a bargain.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Norlin made this 55 reissue ( in their words) though they dropped the wraparound these are pretty badass. The one i played had a headstock repair but was otherwise killer, i hella should have bought it, it was cheap too.View attachment 50152

I remember those . I fact ,Ive had a guy jerkin me around on a '78 Special carcass for 15 years

But , some of those recent USA production Junior/Specials (Stoopid identification) are not bad . I keep lookin for one to pop up n bite me
There was one on NOLA Craigs forever ..p-90 version in the 550-600 range . It JUST sold ,when my personal economy is in the toilet

Dig this ! I love these guitars ,they're like a 1970's F-250 (some of y'all can comprehend that)
But I just aint payin 3k for a guitar I used to buy for 400 bucks
Im not even payin that for a Historic . I have 4 Historics , I didnt pay over 2500 for any of 'em ...hell' 3 of em were WAY under 2k

http://internationalvintageguitars.com/product/1978-gibson-les-paul-deluxe/

Wildeman

Reaction score
I remember those . I fact ,Ive had a guy jerkin me around on a '78 Special carcass for 15 years

But , some of those recent USA production Junior/Specials (Stoopid identification) are not bad . I keep lookin for one to pop up n bite me
There was one on NOLA Craigs forever ..p-90 version in the 550-600 range . It JUST sold ,when my personal economy is in the toilet

Dig this ! I love these guitars ,they're like a 1970's F-250 (some of y'all can comprehend that)
Im not even payin that for a Historic . I have 4 Historics , I didnt pay over 2500 for any of 'em ...hell' 3 of em were WAY under 2k

Man i got a black '78 Deluxe tempting me right now! Its in a local pawn for a negotiable $1700.00 and is a pretty clean one EXCEPT for some reason that nobody can figure out, it was missing the last 2" of fretboard on the body! Totally stupid, idk what someone was thinking. It would be a fairly simple fix for a good luthier and i bet i could get it for 15.

Wildeman

Reaction score

I can't justify 3g for ANY guitar, hell my truck was 3g.

Wildeman

Reaction score
Pretty sure only the vocals are live for most of this but Peter Tosh sports a beautiful Norlin Lester.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure only the vocals are live for most of this but Peter Tosh sports a beautiful Norlin Lester.

Did ya know ,American Gigolo , Richard Gere had Peter's 50's Double Cut TV LP Special in his collection ? I think he has since sold it though