Hiwatt Hi-5 Head

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t see any discussions here about this little 5 watt amp. Released about 3 or 4 years ago, does anyone have one of these Hiwatt Hi-5 amps, (the head version actually),….

…. or played one?

jeffb

Reaction score
I've been sitting with my finger on the "purchase now" button several times for this amp over the last few years.

Single El84 and single preamp tube always scares me off.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been sitting with my finger on the "purchase now" button several times for this amp over the last few years.

Single El84 and single preamp tube always scares me off.
I’m not well versed in this design, although I have owned a couple of single-ended el84 amps, (Blackheart 5 watt and a Vox ac4). I didn’t have any issues, what is it that concerns you about this design?

jeffb

Reaction score
I’m not well versed in this design, although I have owned a couple of single-ended el84 amps, (Blackheart 5 watt and a Vox ac4). I didn’t have any issues, what is it that concerns you about this design?
Usually the single ended amps have a great "roots rock" type tonality... like the Class 5 does. They are more often than not overtly thick/muddy, fizzy highs, and undefined lows. For some things it sounds great- like a Fender Champ does. But that's not what I'm looking for when I want a HiWatt or Marshall.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually the single ended amps have a great "roots rock" type tonality... like the Class 5 does. They are more often than not overtly thick/muddy, fizzy highs, and undefined lows. For some things it sounds great- like a Fender Champ does. But that's not what I'm looking for when I want a HiWatt or Marshall.
I think what I’m looking for is the Hiwatt semi-clean, and edge of breakup tones, the tones that I think I remember from the 70s, lol,… not the driven saturated tones.

I never see Hiwatt amps, used or new, in stores, I should admit I don’t go to these stores often. I can’t try one so I hesitate to to by one.

I saw at one reviewer say it sounds very much like the vintage Hiwatts, but,……

jeffb

Reaction score
I think what I’m looking for is the Hiwatt semi-clean, and edge of breakup tones, the tones that I think I remember from the 70s, lol,…

I love those tones too-as well as the amps they modded for Page and the ones from that dealer in California who modded them in the late 70s/early 80s (that Frank Hannon from Tesla has used through the years).

I've been in love with tones Lifeson and Hannon got with Hi Watts for decades (before I even knew they were HiWatts, lol). And I was lucky enough to play through a couple late 60s (maybe, not 100% ) and 70s DRs back in the mid 80s. Love the HiWatt "bark".

I'm just not confident that little amp will even get in the same continent, let alone ballpark. I'd have to buy a new one with a generous return window to make sure.