Hiwatt

• Thread starter Alt Freak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
Any love here? I can't believe the prices on an early 70's DR103. It seems like a steal for such a famous amplifier.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
They are a great amp, well made & built like a tank. Not had the fame of the Marshall amp. It's known to be a bit cleaner the a classic Marshall, but has it's own character, "Powerful & Clear with great definition!"

Khaos

Reaction score
They are a great amp, well made & built like a tank. Not had the fame of the Marshall amp. It's known to be a bit cleaner the a classic Marshall, but has it's own character, "Powerful & Clear with great definition!"
Yeah, I think that's way David Gilmoure sometimes used them. Because they had powerful clean but they weren't to overdrien.Kinda not as clean as Fender's amps or Vox's amps but not has distorted as Marshall amps.

MajorNut1967

Reaction score
David Gilmour used them a lot,as well as Pete Townshend, Tommy Bolin, Glenn Hughes, John Entwistle and many more.

Alt Freak

Reaction score
Yea I'm thinking about buying one in the future. I mean I would love to have a late 60's early 70's loud distorted Marshall but not gonna happen :lol:

Khaos

Reaction score
Well Alt Freak, I think that even if you love Marshall alot you it's good to broaden you horizons, everyone should.
I'm still beginning in the music buisiness, but after I get myself a true Marshall, I'll sure try some Fender's,Vox's, Hiwatt's amps among others.

TwinACStacks

Reaction score
Well Alt Freak, I think that even if you love Marshall alot you it's good to broaden you horizons, everyone should.
I'm still beginning in the music buisiness, but after I get myself a true Marshall, I'll sure try some Fender's,Vox's, Hiwatt's amps among others.

:) +1 There are a lot of Killer amps out there.

:):) TWIN

Khaos

Reaction score
:) +1 There are a lot of Killer amps out there.

:):) TWIN
That's right.
If we just stick to Marshall we're missng a whole lot of great different sounds.
Sticking with one amp would be the same that just listening to one band all your life.:(

johnfv

Reaction score
Don't forget the 80s Hiwatts (more gain). I have a 50 watt and it's killer although with the added gain it sounds a lot like a Marshall.

EDIT:
Vintage video demonstration. If you look closely you can see the Hiwatt and the single 12 speaker behind me:
http://www.marshallforum.com/cellar/30369-seasons-wither.html#post415373
I've let that Hiwatt sit in the road case too long, need to bust it out and crank it up...

Last edited:

Papus

Reaction score
It's true that Gilmour pioneered the method of using a very clean very loud rig as the platform to run pedals & racks through, relying almost 100% on the pedals for his tones.
There's still a bit of Hiwatt overdrive in the tone and that's the secret sauce.
You can buy the same pedal rig as Gilmour and the signature Strat but if you ain't running it through hiwatt's, yamaha rotary cabinets and WEM 4x12's with Fane Crescendo speakers then you ain't gonna come close.

johnfv

Reaction score
Sounds like you have plenty of gain! I've been playing my 50 watt quite a bit recently, even with tired old Ruby EL34 tubes it sounds fantastic. I'll see if I can get a clip up one of these days...

JOEYONTHECRACK

Reaction score
Sounds like you have plenty of gain! I've been playing my 50 watt quite a bit recently, even with tired old Ruby EL34 tubes it sounds fantastic. I'll see if I can get a clip up one of these days...

Yes, it has a lot of gain, but I think it´s caused by bridge pickup (I have very strong miniHB on this stratocaster) and it´s also in EQ settings.

Latest posts