Hot Mod V2 Evo “PSA” Product Update

• Thread starter David Szabados
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David Szabados

Vendor
Reaction score
I posted this at our site in July but realized a little late to share here! But this is for current Hot Mod V2 owners or those considering one in the future:

Recently we’ve played around with different tube combinations and so going forward, all units shipping from July 2021 forward will be outfitted using a single 12AT7/ECC81 tube in the first position of the Hot Mod V2 Evo and a 12AX7/ECC83 in the second position. Previously we used two 12AX7/ECC83’s to maximize the available gain. Although a 12AT7/ECC81 has approximately 70% of the gain of a12AX7/ECC83 tube, we found that it works MUCH more smoothly and sounds more musically rich and natural when lowering the volume on the guitar to get more dynamic cleaned-up sounds. And when you turn the volume back up on your guitar, you still have a lot of gain boost on tap as expected. A second benefit of using a 12AT7/ECC81 is even less noise than the already low-noise design the HMV2E already has!

jj-ecc81.jpg

If you already own a Hot Mod V2, Hot Mod V2 Evo, or Lynch Mod, we definitely recommend you give a 12AT7/ECC81 tube a try in the first position of your unit. The added dynamics and capabilities are fantastic and we think you’ll agree it’s a great improvement! We load ours with JJ ECC81 tubes as we find them to be the most robust of new production tubes when used in a cathode follower position which is where the mods are used in an amp. And after you’ve tried it, if you don’t care for it or simply want the most gain absolutely possible, then just reinsert the original 12AX7/ECC83 tube you pulled out of your amp in the V2 slot and replace the 12AT7/ECC81 that is equipped with your mod. It’s a win-win either way.

Customer response so far has been tremendous and positive with this “little improvement” so we want to make sure to spread the word.

For any further questions, please reach out anytime to david@legendarytones.com.

Thank you!

mad5066

Reaction score
Looking at the hot mod unit with the switches facing you, is that the left or right position?

David Szabados

Vendor
Reaction score
Looking at the hot mod unit with the switches facing you, is that the left or right position?
Left side position with the mod front facing you. I mean technically you can play with all types of tubes and do both as 12AT7 if you wanted but I found the 12AT7 left and 12AX7 right side are perfect.

I just received an email from Euge Valovirta who does YouTube videos and he was thrilled with the update and ended up doing another video on the topic. So that definitely put a smile on my face too.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Hmmm.... I have the 2nd generation HMV2 and I love it! I will try this. I have two mint condition GE 12AT7 tubes that sound great. I tried both of them at one time as they sounded way better then JJ pres (not a fan of JJ preamp tubes) but then settled on two GE 12AX7 tubes...which sound killer right now...BUT I will definitely try mixing the one GE AT with the GE A7. Thanks for the tip DUUUUDE!

Incidentally...I love using my Fulltone FD2 with my 2204 and HMV2. I use the high gain mode of the HMd, but then compensate with the amp's preamp control. I then CRANK my FD2 as a clean boost and switch it on only for solos. The HMV2 really made my 2204 rig far more flexible....

The one AT7 *just* might be the ticket to getting a really good, high gain sound, but with a cleaner, less noisy (not that it's bad) louder solo channel with the FD2 switched on.

David Szabados

Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds good and my pleasure! I like using the down position of the gain switch for most applications though getting all the compression in the up position can be addictive.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Just tried out the 2204, HM2 GE 12AT7 in it's first position. *uck man, that sounds unbelievable! Damn is that a KICK ASS rock sound! So crisp and tight freakin loud and punchy...tons of sustain...especially with my fav guitar (95' LP). Anyone whom has a 2204 needs this mod. You've got great gain and compression for metal with the toggle in the more gain position...and with the AT7 you can turn down your guitar's volume and get really clean, chime like sounds. Then you've got the pedal option from there...

Absolutely brilliant product.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea....I agree. Amazing product. Like I always mention, I wonder how many amps would have been saved from the drill bit hacks if this would have been available in the 80's. It could be called the "Not Mod" as you don't have to do much to get that modded sound...actually sounds like the term "not mod" could be part of the advertising for it..:D

Still lovin my original version HMV2.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Got mine in last week and it rips. Having the gain on 10 without the mod = the gain around 3 with the mod in the up position on the gain toggle. I much prefer the lower gain toggle with the amp gain knob about straight up. Incredible tightness on my '79 JMP 2204. Need to try single coils with the bass boost on. I have some NOS GE AX7's that I'll try swapping in for the JJ. I don't hate JJ's but I know there are better tubes to shape your tone. I might just get another one for my 4104. Truly an impressive product and I don't honestly impress all that easy.

Adrian R

Reaction score
Got mine in last week and it rips. Having the gain on 10 without the mod = the gain around 3 with the mod in the up position on the gain toggle. I much prefer the lower gain toggle with the amp gain knob about straight up. Incredible tightness on my '79 JMP 2204. Need to try single coils with the bass boost on. I have some NOS GE AX7's that I'll try swapping in for the JJ. I don't hate JJ's but I know there are better tubes to shape your tone. I might just get another one for my 4104. Truly an impressive product and I don't honestly impress all that easy.

Try the

Try to imagine the 800 version 2204 and it's cascaded preamp...then with this mod...I can equal the red channel OD1 on my DSL but with more clarity.. Nutz! I like the higher gain setting...with the gain dialed back somewhat...and then a guitar with moderate output pickups. Now, I tried one on my mint GE 6679 preamp tubes in the HM2...(always loved that tube) along with a GE 12AX7... geezz talk about killer rock guitar sound...whoa...super tight! Then I can now use my FD2 with it's volume cranked and the drive down low for an effective lead boost! Btw .the GEs blow the JJs away.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Depends on what you're playing I guess. If your ripping on Sabbath, AIC, Priest, Crue, etc I'm probably going to be flipping up the gain switch with the gain around 3-4 ish. Other stuff it's just too much but good to have the options. I was planning on putting the back cover on but will leave off for the options. Having leads come off the switches to an external footswitch would be cool. The wires could possibly snake through the back grill to avoid drilling any holes. I'll no doubt take most tubes over any JJ's. I favor Tungscram over any GE tubes in a Marshall. GE's are very good but not Tungscram very good.

Last edited:

Adrian R

Reaction score
Depends on what you're playing I guess. If your ripping on Sabbath, AIC, Priest, Crue, etc I'm probably going to be flipping up the gain switch with the gain around 3-4 ish. Other stuff it's just too much but good to have the options. I was planning on putting the back cover on but will leave off for the options. Having leads come off the switches to an external footswitch would be cool. The wires could possibly snake through the back grill to avoid drilling any holes. I'll no doubt take most tubes over any JJ's. I favor Tungscram over any GE tubes in a Marshall. GE's are very good but not Tungscram very good.

Untill recently GE, many times NOS in original boxes could be had reasonably...not anymore!

David Szabados

Vendor
Reaction score
Yea....I agree. Amazing product. Like I always mention, I wonder how many amps would have been saved from the drill bit hacks if this would have been available in the 80's. It could be called the "Not Mod" as you don't have to do much to get that modded sound...actually sounds like the term "not mod" could be part of the advertising for it..:D

Still lovin my original version HMV2.
That is very clever!

David Szabados

Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Dave, do they work on SVT's?
I can look, but there were over a dozen different SVT circuits and they are all different. If you let me know which amp exactly, I can look at the schematic and report back.

Rozman62

Reaction score
Untill recently GE, many times NOS in original boxes could be had reasonably...not anymore!
Ya no doubt. I really regret not buying more ANOS & NOS tubes a few years ago. Who knew the prices would go stupid. I did pick up a few GE's off a guy from E-Bay. Most of my tubes came from KCA who is a reputable tuber. I'm going to tinker with Raytheon black plates as well in my new little red toy. That's another rock solid tube worthy of note. Used them in my DSL. Hard to imagine the tone getting any better than now but you'll never know unless you tinker tone it. I also use a FD2 with great results.