What tubes are you running in your Origin 50?

• Thread starter fitz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Fricker's point is to make music with what you have or can afford. Chasing tone never wrote a song. In the end, this is a hobby for most. Do what makes you happy.
Great message here. :agreed:

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Regardless of some Youtuber's "scientific" testing's , in my own personal tube rolling experience throughout many years , I have found there are differences in noise floor , slight eq , and gain - response characteristics among different tubes , with both pre and power tubes . I can not say or conclude it was my imagination playing tricks . As much as I would want to buy into the idea that a tube does nothing to change tone , character and response , and the theory that merely it only works or it doesn't . I heard differences . Some subtle , sometimes quite noticeable . Besides , its fun to experiment with these amazing little glass fire-bottles .

iron broadsword

Reaction score
A difference in eq and a difference in how the tube sounds when overdriven are the characteristics that have always been easy to notice for me. You can put in 3 jj's and they'll sound the same, and then you swap in a tung sol instead and it's a different ball game.

bmcguitar

Reaction score
Regardless of some Youtuber's "scientific" testing's , in my own personal tube rolling experience throughout many years , I have found there are differences in noise floor , slight eq , and gain - response characteristics among different tubes , with both pre and power tubes . I can not say or conclude it was my imagination playing tricks . As much as I would want to buy into the idea that a tube does nothing to change tone , character and response , and the theory that merely it only works or it doesn't . I heard differences . Some subtle , sometimes quite noticeable . Besides , its fun to experiment with these amazing little glass fire-bottles .

This! 👆👆 While I do not entirely disagree with Glenn but I DO when he completely dismissed and derides people who DO hear/perceive a difference and as if it doesnt matter (his favourite is "human perception is flawed" argument). Of course it matters! Everything matters. Thats what makes us human and what distinquishes us from each other. Things like pyschoaccoustics, mood, playing experience, personal history with the instrument and and experiences all play a part and he just completely dismisses these unless you have "DATA TO PROVE IT!" He's an recording engineer not a guitar player.

I can not say or conclude it was my imagination playing tricks

Einstein once said - "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution."
Imagination is EVERYTHING to tone; what you hear in your head COUNTS regardless of what glenn or like would like people to think.

The end of the movie, CONTACT with Jodie Foster shows how a Glenn reacts. When Jodie's character cant explain what her experience is and no one can believe her because she hasnt got any "evidence". I find it a fascinating movie about humans and dealing facts, emotion and evidence that shows exactly what this argument on tone is all about.

Last edited:

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
This! 👆👆 While I do not entirely disagree with Glenn but I DO when he completely dismissed and derides people who DO hear/perceive a difference and as if it doesnt matter (his favourite is "human perception is flawed" argument). Of course it matters! Everything matters. Thats what makes us human and what distinquishes us from each other. Things like pyschoaccoustics, mood, playing experience, personal history with the instrument and and experiences all play a part and he just completely dismisses these unless you have "DATA TO PROVE IT!" He's an recording engineer not a guitar player.

Einstein once said - "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution."
Imagination is EVERYTHING to tone; what you hear in your head COUNTS regardless of what glenn or like would like people to think.

The end of the movie, CONTACT with Jodie Foster shows how a Glenn reacts. When Jodie's character cant explain what her experience is and no one can believe her because she hasnt got any "evidence". I find it a fascinating movie about humans and dealing facts, emotion and evidence that shows exactly what this argument on tone is all about.

I don't think Einstein's quote about imagination is analogous to someone thinking they hear differences in tubes. There simply are differences in tubes, and Glenn is wrong. Whether everyone can hear the differences though is entirely different. A few years ago I posted some blind tests rolling tubes in my AC20 and some people knew exactly what the tubes were and nailed the blind test. I have a buddy that can immediately hear the difference between a modeler and a real amp in blind tests. He's a trained classical pianist. I can't always do that. He can. You just have to know what to listen for. I agree that one's personal experiences factor heavily into what one is able to believe, but that is not what is going on with sound. You can put sound under a scope. You can do the measurements. You can do blind tests. The differences between tubes is not subjective. Whether you like the differences between tubes is.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem being that "testing" in these cases, which we have all done, is waiting for the amp to cool off and putting in a different tube. By the time all that happens, we are not even capable of knowing what it sounded like before. I think Fricker's point is to make music with what you have or can afford. Chasing tone never wrote a song. In the end, this is a hobby for most. Do what makes you happy.
Who waits for the amp to cool down? I roll pres with the amp in standby.

I'm not even gonna touch everything else you're saying. For a minute there I thought Dryenn was back.

Latest posts