• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How can I not think it's drugs?

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GregM

Reaction score
I love my drinks.
But I don't play sport drinking, I don't drink if I go to watch a footy game or cricket ( I prefer to watch the game I played to see, not the bartender or urinal for half the game)
I used to smoke pot and do other stuff, haven't for 20 or so years. Not that I'm against it, but I find they don't mix well with alcohol more often than not, and I'm quite happy just having my few drinks while whoever does whatever.
I think I'd go with the minimal to no drinks while rehearsing or whatever, and hit em hard afterwards!
Play hard then party hard ( well as hard as us old buggers party anyhow!)

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Another project down the tubes due to someone prioritizing drugs over music. I have been doing the band thing for over 30 years now and in all honesty, 90+ percent of the problems I have run in to can be easily traced to drugs and/or booze in some form or other.

I am a supporter of full legalization so please don't read me wrong but I can't empathize with someone who is so addicted to something that it sabotages just about everything they do.

Another recurring theme that I keep falling for is "yeah I smoke the lettuce/drink/trip, but it doesn't affect my playing abilities".

I can attest that 9 out of every 10 players that have told me that are either bullsh**ting me or don't see it because it most certainly does. Mostly I notice their timing goes south. Sometimes it's remembering their parts, sometimes it's the ability to just show up and play, and sometimes it's them stealing from me.

I am an eternal optimist so I always fall for the excuses. I've no problems with people that want to partake or have a couple cold ones while we gig or rehearse IF you can PLAY THE DAMN SONGS CORRECTLY!

rant \off

I was wondering, exactly what kind of drugs are you talking about here?

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Oh most certainly. One band I am in the guys average 65 years old and 3 of them do mushrooms every weekend.

Where the heck do they get 'shrooms from in order to "do them every weekend"? Y'all must live in the deep south!

Mushrooms, certain cacti, and weed aren't really "drugs". They're organic, and although have psychoactive properties fall more in the line of herbs..Although I know there's going to be some folks who will disagree with that POV.

'Shrooms are awesome, wish I had access to some..:naughty:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I've never tried them but not being TOTALLY blind to what's going on around me, down here in central Florida, if you want various kinds of mushrooms including the psychoactive types, there are cow pastures all over the place and they grow in the manure. Going into the pastures to pick what you want is very low risk. You're more at risk of being assaulted by the herd bull than you are encountering law enforcement.

Redguitar

Reaction score
The typical response I get when talking to other musicians is things like "Well Jimi and Clapton and yada yada played wasted"|

Yeah! Those people are/were exceptional musicians.

When any of the "A" list played wasted, they generally did not actually sound or perform as well (or in their box) as they could have sober. Just what they did (do). The fans were maybe more wasted and felt it was the best ever playing.

Having said that, I've played a few times wasted and it felt good, but the recordings didn't sound great. Not that I'm great even sober. More experimental when influenced by weed though. And occasionally somewhat accurate and articulate.

end user

Reaction score
Where the heck do they get 'shrooms from in order to "do them every weekend"? Y'all must live in the deep south!

Mushrooms, certain cacti, and weed aren't really "drugs". They're organic, and although have psychoactive properties fall more in the line of herbs..Although I know there's going to be some folks who will disagree with that POV.

'Shrooms are awesome, wish I had access to some..:naughty:

The lead guitar player grows them at home. Totally legal where I live to grow and possess them.