• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How can I not think it's drugs?

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

end user

Reaction score
When any of the "A" list played wasted, they generally did not actually sound or perform as well (or in their box) as they could have sober. Just what they did (do). The fans were maybe more wasted and felt it was the best ever playing.

Having said that, I've played a few times wasted and it felt good, but the recordings didn't sound great. Not that I'm great even sober. More experimental when influenced by weed though. And occasionally somewhat accurate and articulate.

Great point. I had a gig last week and 2 funny things happened. One hammered guy told me after the show that I played the solo to Hey Joe better than even Jimi and a drunk woman told me I sing just like Steve Perry. 2 problems here. That band doesn't do Hey Joe nor do we do anything resembling something Steve Perry sings.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
mitch said an occational toke.
you said you agreed with mitch then said "smoke a bowl".
i reminded you he said toke'
a toke is one thing. a bowl is another. N/M

Depends on the the size of the bowl.

My little water pipe has a tiny bowl, one can get two-three hits out of it max..I usually go for one.

On our trip last week to Colorado we scored some very high-potency sativa, and I had rolled a doobie from it, then I got the danged thing mixed up with some low-potency leaf and took two big hits from it before I realized my mistake. That made for an interesting experience for a couple of hours! :lol:

Weed is just like booze, you can use it responsibly or you can abuse it..

DaDoc

Reaction score
Great point. I had a gig last week and 2 funny things happened. One hammered guy told me after the show that I played the solo to Hey Joe better than even Jimi and a drunk woman told me I sing just like Steve Perry. 2 problems here. That band doesn't do Hey Joe nor do we do anything resembling something Steve Perry sings.

Hey, at least you're getting complements! :lol:

And at a bar there's always going to be some folks there who are hammered (sometimes that's the majority) since as a general rule nobody goes to a bar to practice sobriety! :cheers:

Back in the 80's the band I was in was playing a gig at one of the local joints, and I had a solo bit I always did just before we took a break from our first set. I always started the solo with a really high bend on the high E string, and on this particular night the string broke, first note!

Of course on a Strat it throws all the strings outta tune when that happens, but I went ahead and did the freakin' solo anyhoo as best I could, the show must go on and all that rot y'know..:shrug:

We went on break, and of course here comes the other guitarist raising hob- "What the hell was THAT!? You didn't play one note of that solo in tune! " rant, rave, ect. :pissed:

Suddenly one of the bar patrons appears, fairly wasted, and says "Man, that was the BEST lead solo I've ever heard in my LIFE!"

I looked back at the other guitarist, who had stopped his tirade in mid-sentence, and grinned from ear to ear. And he just turned around and walked away without saying another word..:D

I learned a valuable lesson that night, which is that although I want to play well, shit does happen, and a good rule of thumb is that if the audience is liking what they're hearing, hammered or not, and you're getting paid, the night is not a total disaster!

Last edited:

end user

Reaction score
Hey, at least you're getting complements! :lol:

And at a bar there's always going to be some folks there who are hammered (sometimes that's the majority) since as a general rule nobody goes to a bar to practice sobriety! :cheers:

Back in the 80's the band I was in was playing a gig at one of the local joints, and I had a solo bit I always did just before we took a break from our first set. I always started the solo with a really high bend on the high E string, and on this particular night the string broke, first note!

Of course on a Strat it throws all the strings outta tune when that happens, but I went ahead and did the freakin' solo anyhoo as best I could, the show must go on and all that rot y'know..:shrug:

We went on break, and of course here comes the other guitarist raising hob- "What the hell was THAT!? You didn't play one note of that solo in tune! " rant, rave, ect. :pissed:

Suddenly one of the bar patrons appears, fairly wasted, and says "Man, that was the BEST lead solo I've ever heard in my LIFE!"

I looked back at the other guitarist, who had stopped his tirade in mid-sentence, and grinned from ear to ear. And he just turned around and walked away without saying another word..:D

I learned a valuable lesson that night, which is that although I want to play well, shit does happen, and a good rule of thumb is that if the audience is liking what they're hearing, hammered or not, and you're getting paid, the night is not a total disaster!

Right on!

end user

Reaction score
Depends on the the size of the bowl.

My little water pipe has a tiny bowl, one can get two-three hits out of it max..I usually go for one.

On our trip last week to Colorado we scored some very high-potency sativa, and I had rolled a doobie from it, then I got the danged thing mixed up with some low-potency leaf and took two big hits from it before I realized my mistake. That made for an interesting experience for a couple of hours! :lol:

Weed is just like booze, you can use it responsibly or you can abuse it..

Yes absolutely. I seem to find all the abusers.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
You've PROBABLY seen the Woodstock footage of Santana doing Soul Sacrifice. He was stoned on LSD at the time.

Carlos described the guitar's neck as moving around like it was a snake to him. But he never hit a bad note.

I was, am, and shall always be impressed by that.

Drugs don't automatically make you unable to play. For some it seems to unlock their creativity.

But Peter Green stopped playing after never really properly coming down from an LSD trip. It destroyed his ability to play.

end user

Reaction score
You've PROBABLY seen the Woodstock footage of Santana doing Soul Sacrifice. He was stoned on LSD at the time.

Carlos described the guitar's neck as moving around like it was a snake to him. But he never hit a bad note.

Drugs don't automatically make you unable to play. For some it seems to unlock their creativity.

But Peter Green stopped playing after never really properly coming down from an LSD trip. It destroyed his ability to play.

Yeah and like I said earlier in the thread, these people and examples are exceptional musicians that are far beyond weekend warrior types. My best friend (who recently passed of liver cancer) could drink a case of beer and play circles around most local players because he was exceptional. Could have gone pro if he didn't love being a mechanical engineer so much. He had great natural talent but also practiced diligently at least 4 hours a day 7 days a week. Most musicians weekend warriors like myself deal with, might pick up their axe to work out a few songs the day before rehearsals and call it good enough.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Yeah and like I said earlier in the thread, these people and examples are exceptional musicians that are far beyond weekend warrior types. My best friend (who recently passed of liver cancer) could drink a case of beer and play circles around most local players because he was exceptional. Could have gone pro if he didn't love being a mechanical engineer so much. He had great natural talent but also practiced diligently at least 4 hours a day 7 days a week. Most musicians weekend warriors like myself deal with, might pick up their axe to work out a few songs the day before rehearsals and call it good enough.

RIP.

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
although there are several in our current line up who do partake in the frequent internal enhancment of the leafy substance, that has never been our problem, our biggest hurdle is song choice. we are a hard driving southern rock band, and some of our guys come up with off the wall new material that in no way represents whom we have established ourselves to be? especially with 6 guys, 90% of our arguments/disagreements come in the band room. it never fails.

dro

Reaction score

Sorry about your Bro.
Regardless of how gifted any one person may be.
There is no substitute for doing the work.
Been playing my whole life. Even now after 40 yrs, in retirement I play 2 or more hours a day.
I would say I'm...OK. Plenty others better.

purpleplexi

Reaction score

It's said that backstage at Monterey Jimi was taking acid tabs like tic tacs and he played fairly well. There again if Frank Zappa caught you using in his band you were gone so fast your head would swim.
Drugs took the guy who taught me my first guitar chord who was also my best friend. He didn't OD he became psychotic which totally fucked up the rest of his life. Eventually went so far down he couldn't come back.

DaDoc

Reaction score

The R&R press, pundits, ect. has said LSD, and then later said mescaline.

I watched Santana's interview with Dan Rather recently and he said it was mushrooms, or a derivative of them.

He also added "I wish I had some now!" :lol:

That solo he did while tripping was incredible, but for someone of lesser talent, or a lower tolerance to psychedelics it could have gone totally the other way.

Also in all fairness to Carlos, he thought when he dropped the stuff his band was going on much later than anticipated, then they told him around the time he was peaking on the stuff they were either going on NOW, or not at all..He handled the situation beautifully, and played an epic solo..Quite a feat to pull off what he did under the circumstances!

In Peter Green's case, he was apparently slipped some super-strong stuff that totally screwed up his mind, same thing that happened to Syd Barret.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Been there Done that Wrote a song about it.

There is a time and place for everything.

Grown ups recognize this.

Nothing like doing a gig on Window Payne. :monkey:

Might not get another gig for awhile though.

Windowpane? Dang, I haven't heard about that stuff since the early 70's!

DaDoc

Reaction score
It's said that backstage at Monterey Jimi was taking acid tabs like tic tacs and he played fairly well. There again if Frank Zappa caught you using in his band you were gone so fast your head would swim.
Drugs took the guy who taught me my first guitar chord who was also my best friend. He didn't OD he became psychotic which totally fucked up the rest of his life. Eventually went so far down he couldn't come back.

Zappa didn't need drugs..He was more stoned-out sober than most druggies are when high! :lol:

His only indulgence was cigarettes and coffee..And he apparently drank coffee 24/7! A real "bean fiend".

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Zappa didn't need drugs..He was more stoned-out sober than most druggies are when high! :lol:

His only indulgence was cigarettes and coffee..And he apparently drank coffee 24/7! A real "bean fiend".

What about groupies? He got through quite a bunch or so I've heard. BTW I won't hear a word against Frank. THE great genius of his generation.

DaDoc

Reaction score
The caffeine and nicotine "focus" regimen.

Which I find totally unappealing..:nono:

I've heard that excessive amounts of coffee can cause prostate cancer, which is what Frank died of..And cigarettes, another cancer-causer, totally turn me off since I quit smoking them.

I like coffee in the mornings, but never after lunchtime, unless I'm planning a late night! :coffee:

Last edited: