How do I set up my DSL 20 on the Green Channel for Clean for Pedals (Gain,Vol,Treble,Middle,Bass,Presence,Resonance)?

• Thread starter jay59LP
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HwyStR@022

Reaction score
Hello 1st time poster. Do I turn everything to 0? except for the Vol & Gain? I just want the amp as neutral as possible on Green Ch. for running Pedals.
Thank You in advance for any guidance.
I own 2 DSL20 Combos, running in tandem. I'm dialed into the sound I want and like on the high gain side. I run my pedals into the effects loop on back of amp.
If you're looking for clean, use your clean side, gain as desired.
Myself, I a bit more raunchy. I do run a Friedman OD into the front.
All my modulation effects into the fx loop in back.
Find your the sound / mix that you like and work from there.
Rock on!

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Hello 1st time poster. Do I turn everything to 0? except for the Vol & Gain? I just want the amp as neutral as possible on Green Ch. for running Pedals.
I don't know, man, a Marshall is made to sound like a Marshall although the DSL is very versatile but it sounds like a waste of a great amp. I'm not being sarcastic when I say go get a Peavy Bandit for the "pedal platform" (ugh! I hate those words) thing. It'll be great for that and Save the Marshall fro when you want a killer amp sound.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I found out what I like and it turned out prefect. Treble & Bass on 9 & Middle on 10 with Presence at 6 Resonance at 4. Classic Gain (Green Ch), Gain at 4 & 1/2 , Volume 7. Ultra Gain (Red Ch) Gain at 4 and Volume at 7. This is the best my DSL 20CR has ever sounded. The Green Channel is clean & full (depending on how high my Les Paul is dialed up) and that Clean sound, sounds amazing with the La Grange pedal, The DSL20CR turns into a Plexi with that pedal. I love that KRRR-ANG and crunch Plexi sound .The Red channel sound great alone or even better with a TS-9 Tube screamer(Drive at 0) (Vol. Max)(Tone Middle) or Boss Sd-1(Drive at 0) (Vol. Max)(Tone Middle). Glad I came here to bounce ideas from this Marshall forums. Rock On! 😎🎸🔊🎵
Beautiful LP,… happy to see the neoprene on the guitar stand, (or whatever it is), wrapped where it touches the Gibson guitar,…
:applause:

wangchung

Reaction score
Hello; I would get several 12ax7's, like a Tungsol or Mullard reissues, or even a JJ or 2, and replace V1 with each, and turn your knobs until you find one that gives you a nice clean, yet growls on overdrive. An aggressively voiced V1 might be ok if you don't want nice cleans. Your amp tone part of your signal chain starts at V1. Also, try running both your treble and presence
in the 1-3 neighborhood. Werks for Billy G., werks for me.

Rikamortis

Reaction score
First of all I don't know if you're running stereo pedals or regular. I also don't know what kind of Drive pedals you're using are you using Distortion or overdrive are you using a noise gate what kind of pedals are you running, cuz it does make some difference. But starting out I would put the gain out about 2 and 1/4 put the volume on about four or five and put everything else straight up then plug all your pedals in and adjust your pedals first dial in your dirt pedals noise gate and volumes first. If you're running a boost I would get the boost set at where you want to boost it try going maybe 15-20 DB for that. Then I would adjust all my time based any choruses or anything you want to run get those adjusted and then it's always a tweak game after that I could go on and on there's a lot more to it than I can put in this post but since you're a newbie that should get you at least in the neighborhood.