How does a Tube Amp work Part 1

ClockWISE

Reaction score
My best friend is an electrical engineer graduate of Kettering University and we're thinking about trying to build the 1987 Plexi that's drawn out here. Really, I'm trying to learn a whole bunch through experience, but he knows it all in theory already. (except he doesn't quite understand how tubes work.. you know, "outdated technology")
So, we're going to try to help each other and learn some stuff.. Plus it would be cool to have a 1987 Plexi clone lying around ;D
Anyway.. I can't wait to read part II. I understand what's going on in part I and I'm sure my friend knows exactly what's going on till it gets to the tubes. We can always dig a little more and come up with explanations/diagrams on how the tubes work.
Anyway this thread is awesome and will only get better with more explanation!!! Thanks, you guys!

hessian

Reaction score
Great info. Really need part II though.
For my Advanced Technology course I need to do an FMEA analysis on a device.
I choose a tube amp, but I need to know how they work exactly.
Are there any sites or books where they are further explained?

I've been looking everywhere. The only decent explenation I found was here, but it's incomplete

Jonathan Wilder

Reaction score

I've been looking everywhere. The only decent explenation I found was here, but it's incomplete

It's incomplete because I haven't had a chance to continue it. I'm actually starting from the ground up to teach this stuff. Workin' on Intro To DC Circuits Part II at the moment.

Stay tuned...

lespaulr0cker

Reaction score

My past involvement in developing FMEA and PFMEA for electronics tells me to advise you to select a simpler device...such a a paperclip!:naughty:

Viking62

Reaction score
Great thread and really well explained for people like myself.
ps I hope Reginald got himself sorted out:hmm:

Hayz

Reaction score
Nice one!!! Now, When will you have part two out? I really want to learn more. You made a fairly complicated thing very simple.

Les Moore

Reaction score
Don´t think Hampamp or Wilder are here anymore. Would be totally awesome though if one of our remaining techs would pick it up again:)

Reaction score
Well, you are right in a sense, I'm not around much anymore, too busy in my shop. I'll see if I can get some time to put together a Part 2 but it may take a little while to get it together. May be able to save some time by taking quotes from already published material. I'm glad that there is an interest, when I started this thread I didn't have my shop set up so I had a lot of free time, since then I moved back to N.C. and set up shop and have been so busy that I haven't had time to even log on to the forum but maybe once every two or three months. Keep looking, now that I've been reminded I'll start work on Part 2.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, you are right in a sense, I'm not around much anymore, too busy in my shop. I'll see if I can get some time to put together a Part 2 but it may take a little while to get it together. May be able to save some time by taking quotes from already published material. I'm glad that there is an interest, when I started this thread I didn't have my shop set up so I had a lot of free time, since then I moved back to N.C. and set up shop and have been so busy that I haven't had time to even log on to the forum but maybe once every two or three months. Keep looking, now that I've been reminded I'll start work on Part 2.

Good to hear that you are busy as that is priority Number 1 for sure. And good to see you back around!

I think this should be made a Sticky as well.

Adwex, you out there??

The audio signal path and it's theory would have my attention. I have a good grasp myself, but some deeper theory is always appreciated.

Thanks for even considering doing this . . .

emreyazgin

Reaction score
Has the part 2 been done? Couldnt find it. :( part 1 greatly appreciated!

Latest posts