• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How Does "Line-Out" Work?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I was looking at a Supro Delta King 10 combo amp with a line out jack, the instructions say the Line Out provides a buffered preamp output to another amplifier or to a console for recording. So how does this work? Plug in to the combo line out with a speaker cable or instrument cable? Plug it directly into the front of my Marshall? Or can it be plugged directly into an extension cab?

JohnH

Reaction score
I had a look at the manual. It'll be be as it says, you can drive another amp from it, or a mixer. It won't drive a speaker on its own though. Use it with an instrument cable. Then, it should work either into the front input of a Marshall amp (set the Marshall to clean). Or, you could try into the FX return.

Other things you could try are into effects pedals , or an IR loader.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I had a look at the manual. It'll be be as it says, you can drive another amp from it, or a mixer. It won't drive a speaker on its own though. Use it with an instrument cable. Then, it should work either into the front input of a Marshall amp (set the Marshall to clean). Or, you could try into the FX return.

Other things you could try are into effects pedals , or an IR loader.
Does a combo line out disable the internal speaker when plugged into another amp or do you have to unplug the combo speaker? Or can you get sound out of the combo and the amp youre plugging into?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Keep the speaker connected. Unless the amp has very specific features for this, you risk power amp damage if there's no speaker.
Does sound come out of the combo and the Marshall? Or does the combo volume work independently and can be turned off while sound is pumped through the line-out to the Marshall? Is reamping happening, a 5 watt combo becomes a 100 watt Marshall?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It's as simple as a tap off the speaker output, via a resistor of sufficient value. Some amps then run that tapped signal through a buffer stage.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Could it be possible that you can still use the Line Out when on standby since it is only the preamp circuit?

JohnH

Reaction score
I think there's not enough info in the manual to be sure exactly how it will work. Need to try it to find out .

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Does a combo line out disable the internal speaker when plugged into another amp or do you have to unplug the combo speaker? Or can you get sound out of the combo and the amp youre plugging into?

Could it be possible that you can still use the Line Out when on standby since it is only the preamp circuit?

If it is anything like the ones I have, both amps work at once, often one might use a line out instead of micing a cab and you certainly want the speaker working.
I have / had a couple that worked when on standby as it is essentially a preamp out. It is almost like the effects send in a way. Any controls you adjust go on down the line.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Never saw a line out tapped off speaker. Wouldn't that just be another speaker out?

No, as it is knocked down to line level. Many Mesa amps have a Slave Out jack that is tapped off of the output transformer and stepped down to a line level signal. In some amps, the line out occurs between the preamp and power amp. There's no hard and fast rule as far as how each manufacturer goes about it, so there are many variations in where it is placed in the circuit.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The tap has a resistor in series with it. That's what brings speaker level down to line level. It's really that simple.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I saw a video where a guy had the Supro connected to another amp and he said you can run both amps at the same time and he turned up the volume on the Supro. So probably the line out is a direct signal and bypasses the Supro controls and feeds the other amp a signal that is controlled by the other amp.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I saw a video where a guy had the Supro connected to another amp and he said you can run both amps at the same time and he turned up the volume on the Supro. So probably the line out is a direct signal and bypasses the Supro controls and feeds the other amp a signal that is controlled by the other amp.
I suspect the supro controls will still be active. At least everyone I have it does.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I suspect the supro controls will still be active. At least everyone I have it does.
Yeah that makes sense, so you can control it on both amps. :yesway:

Its just a little 5 watt combo but its got great sound and features, I wanted to make sure it can be plugged into something bigger to make it more versatile than just a practice amp. I was considering a 5E3 combo but this amp seems to have more going on and I've never played a 5E3 to compare.

Last edited:

Latest posts