• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How Does "Line-Out" Work?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
In some cases, it is. In others, they may do it differently. But in any event it's a lower level sample of the audio output, wherever it gets taken from.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
The volume control of the slave amp would depend on if it's an MV or not (going into the Return).

Non MV, you probably won't be able to hear the Supro.

El Gringo

Reaction score
If it is anything like the ones I have, both amps work at once, often one might use a line out instead of micing a cab and you certainly want the speaker working.
I have / had a couple that worked when on standby as it is essentially a preamp out. It is almost like the effects send in a way. Any controls you adjust go on down the line.
Does the line out have something to do with recording in the studio as well ? and also as you said about micing a cab going into the mixing board ?

GregM

Reaction score
Isn't my lil dsl5cr a thing where U can plug headphones in and disable the speaker ?
It comes in mono and isn't a great sound but it works

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Does the line out have something to do with recording in the studio as well ? and also as you said about micing a cab going into the mixing board ?
One could, although it sounds not nearly as good, record to a board feom line out. Live it is harder to hear the differences tonally. The output on the TSL, JVM, 6100 are balanced Low Z XLR jacks so live it is nice to simply run right to board.
But I wouldn't record that way for anything serious.
As it tends to be preamp out, it can sound ass compared to the whole shebang. My Jubilee sounds terrible line out.
In a large venue with large sound miking the speaker is a better choice as speaker tones enter into the equation. In a small bar I couldn't care less about that myself.

El Gringo

Reaction score
One could, although it sounds not nearly as good, record to a board feom line out. Live it is harder to hear the differences tonally. The output on the TSL, JVM, 6100 are balanced Low Z XLR jacks so live it is nice to simply run right to board.
But I wouldn't record that way for anything serious.
As it tends to be preamp out, it can sound ass compared to the whole shebang. My Jubilee sounds terrible line out.
In a large venue with large sound miking the speaker is a better choice as speaker tones enter into the equation. In a small bar I couldn't care less about that myself.
Thank You for the details as I always wondered about that Line Out .

william vogel

Reaction score
If you have a dummy load or a reactive load, you’ll be able to silence the Supro amp. The line out is going to be the waveform of the output section at a reduced voltage capable of running into a power amplifier to play at whatever volume you want. You can line out a 10 watt amp and feed it into a 200 watt amp and get really loud. You can also put your delay and modulation effects between the line out and power amp. This is what I do with my Fryette power station 100. EVH did this although he created his own line out from the Marshall into the dummy load because this wasn’t a common setup back in the late 70’s. Look up EVH signal chain.

matttornado

Reaction score
If you have a dummy load or a reactive load, you’ll be able to silence the Supro amp. The line out is going to be the waveform of the output section at a reduced voltage capable of running into a power amplifier to play at whatever volume you want. You can line out a 10 watt amp and feed it into a 200 watt amp and get really loud. You can also put your delay and modulation effects between the line out and power amp. This is what I do with my Fryette power station 100. EVH did this although he created his own line out from the Marshall into the dummy load because this wasn’t a common setup back in the late 70’s. Look up EVH signal chain.[/QUO

I do this too but I have a dry cab coming from my attenuator & I use David Bray line out box from the amp's 2nd speaker jack feeding a delay & reverb. That goes into the FX return on my DSL 40CR.

Sounds incredible but I have a hard time dialing in right amount of line level in order to make my delay sound good. The repeats sound like they're miles away or have a blanket over them. My cheap Behringer reverb overall sounds pretty decent. go figure. This been the case with a few different delays I tried so far. Not sure if I'm sending the effects too much signal or what. I'm still playing around with the set up here and there.

Ideally, I'd like to plug straight into my Superlead as I get a lot of gain just from that and use the line out to feed a solo boost, delay and reverb into the 2nd amp.

Latest posts