How loud do you run your marshalls?

• Thread starter TyrackT71
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon

Reaction score
"You guys are either:

A: Living in rural areas.
B: Living next to deaf and/or tolerant neighbors
C: Lying.

A: I live in a neighborhood in the city...not downtown but its definetly not a rural area. We play in the basement and its slightly soundproofed. But the sound proofing down there really only makes the sound better not really less loud.
B: As a matter of fact one of my neighbors is half deaf! haha You got that right. On the other side is a really cool mexican family that doesn't seem to mind. Aside from just practicing in my basement tho, we also throw gigs down there which can get as big as 100 people sometimes. I've had bands play here from all over the world. Everyone who comes over is pretty respectful of the neighborhood however and I've never had the cops called in 4 years of having shows at the house.
C: I'm not a liar.:fingersx:

PYROKLAST on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

kamran

Reaction score
i dont really get why everyone says that vintage marshalls are louder than modern marshalls. i know that four holers tend to be, but i was able to play a JMP 2203 head on 5 in the middle of a music store and noone even said anything. if i did that with my JVM theyd toss my ass out in a heartbeat. hell im almost afraid to get my JVm past 6 at home! (not that it stops me of course!)

Frankie

Reaction score
i dont really get why everyone says that vintage marshalls are louder than modern marshalls. i know that four holers tend to be, but i was able to play a JMP 2203 head on 5 in the middle of a music store and noone even said anything. if i did that with my JVM theyd toss my ass out in a heartbeat. hell im almost afraid to get my JVm past 6 at home! (not that it stops me of course!)

Mojo is a +3db boost, didn't you know that?

Seriously, my DSL 100 is every bit as loud as my 2203.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
B here. I live on the outskirts of the city, but luckily I have no neighbors behind me.

Sounds like you have an ideal location for a musician's habitat. ;) The old JMP 50 I traveled around the country with had a master volume wired in (couldn't tell you how - but it worked nice), and except for theater size stages or outdoor venues (then it was 5-7), the average on the master (with the channel cranked) was still only between 3-4 depending upon the size of the club... but we used the level of the drums on stage as a rule of thumb combined with overcoming what bounced back from the mains (and the monitors too). Those levels may not track with an amp that has a master volume stock. Everything was mic'd of course. However, I did seem to have to play louder to hear myself when I wasn't the only guitarist in the band... and it is easier to get a good sound dialed in at higher volumes.

Meh... different strokes. :)

Frankie

Reaction score
Yeah, having two guitarists is always a challenge. That's why I love my DSL, I can kick over to the red channel and overpower the other guitar for leads, then kick back to the green and sit right back in the mix. Pop does the same thing for me, he'll kick his SD-1 on for leads, then drop it back off when it's rhythm time. Guitarists don't realize it often, but you have to be courteous when you're in a live band scenario. Not only will you bowl over the other guitar if you're just wailing away, you'll also drown out the vocals since they're in the same frequency range.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Not only will you bowl over the other guitar if you're just wailing away, you'll also drown out the vocals since they're in the same frequency range.

... and quick! You're the singer for your group like I was, right? That's another thing about stage volume... hearing yourself sing while beatin' the back of your head with Marshally goodness, lol. Also, a new soundman would freak until he got to know the songs so he could mute my vocal mic when I stepped away to jam... suddenly the room would get filled with extra guitar when I wasn't blocking the path from my speakers to the vocal mic.

Frankie

Reaction score
Yessir! I do vocals and guitar with my band, so I feel your pain. Luckily Pop is an excellent guitarist, so a lot of the times I just shut down my guitar while singing and only pick it up for the lead. He does the same with me and shuts his guitar down while he's singing, because during vocal parts there's really no reason to be blasting out two stacks worth of Marshall on top of 'em. We'll pick up leads/rhythm during the non vocal parts then shut down one guitar to let the vocals really shine during a verse.

In the studio it's a totally different story since they can both be mixed in properly. Two guitars does sound best, but in a live scenario it really doesn't matter as much.

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Luckily Pop is an excellent guitarist, so a lot of the times I just shut down my guitar while singing and only pick it up for the lead.

Wow! I had seen posts about your pop doing the SSB Hendrix thing and such, but I didn't realize he was a band member... that's fookin' awesome. Man, I got to read closer.

Of course, I'm much older - but the only thing my pop rocks is a lazyboy and the cable TV... except when he gets hungry and I've lost track of the time. Then he can wail like a banshee (btw, he's 89, and I take care of him - voluntarily). ;)

Frankie

Reaction score
Wow! I had seen posts about your pop doing the SSB Hendrix thing and such, but I didn't realize he was a band member... that's fookin' awesome. Man, I got to read closer.

Of course, I'm much older - but the only thing my pop rocks is a lazyboy and the cable TV... except when he gets hungry and I've lost track of the time. Then he can wail like a banshee (btw, he's 89, and I take care of him - voluntarily). ;)

Yessir, I get to front a band with my dad, how cool is that?

27032_10150160417105187_129154475186_11866328_6132772_n.jpg

LesPaulopolis

Reaction score
Practicing alone, as quiet as possible to still get 'tone' (subjective).

Band prac: 3.5

Gigs: 4 - 5

At that level my 4x12 is nearly blowing people's heads off.

HoboMan

Reaction score
JCM800 50 watt, channel switcher - Gain channel, gain around 8, volume around 6, master around 3.

I've only used my DSL50 at one gig. It was a large club so I had both channel at about halfway.

We mic everything, no matter how small the club.

Robson780

Reaction score
Cranked mostly. If we're un-mic'd (which is mostly), my modded 2204 or SLX 2100 will be around 3:00 on the master.

If we're mic'd, about noon on the SLX or 10:00 on the 2204.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in amish country so i can run my amp loud when i want. I usualy run it at 1 though but, when i want to play and not work(on my playing) i run it at a minimum of 3. that seems to be where she really opens up and because i'm in the sticks it's all good.

Last edited:

Murmel

Reaction score
You guys are either:

A: Living in rural areas.
B: Living next to deaf and/or tolerant neighbors
C: Lying.

A here, during the week I have to spend some nights in the city.
Can't crank my amp there. I did when I was a kid. Once my Neighbour was standing in front of the door begging for mercy, he was a musician himself so he did not call the cops. I had a VOX AC 50 back then, with a Boss Super Overdrive upfront. I hated both but couldn't afford something better.
Both ended in the Trash. Today they would be considered Vintage.

Vraull

Reaction score
I've always played my DSL rather loud in my garage. in the 3-4 range, practically everyday. between 6 and 9pm. I've actually had the neighbors and mailman compliment my playing. One of my neighbors wants me to teach his kids. ahah.

practice and shows its 5 and up.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
Up until recently I had a Hughes & Kettner Triamp that would compete volume-wise with any 2203 ever built. I used to face the cab backwards from the front of the stage, mic the cab, drape a sound blanket over it, and stick the head on top facing forward and crank the master to 6-7. :naughty:

thats an interesting idea. gotta have monitors right?

but, that must not look very cool...tsk

diesel king

Reaction score
I live in england where our houses (unless you got serious ££££) are all boxed together like fuckin prison cells... so my DSL100 lives in its flightcase here unfortunately. I have my bro's VS100 here and even that is way too loud, it does sound ok at lower vols but literally I have to have it UNDER 1. In rehearsals my DSL sits normally around vol 4 - 5 and gain at about 7 on the red channel and live I normally get asked to turn down by sound guys so probably about the same (after turning down... then turning back up :dude: ). I've had it up to about 7 vol and 6 or 7 gain and thats the sweetest I've heard it sound. It was loud as fuck too!! :dude: