How loud?

• Thread starter Richardjordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Richardjordan

Reaction score

Hi people, I recently purchased a TSL60 head and an M412 cab. The SPL on the cab is approx 128db.

Can anybody help me to work out what the db level will be if I played the TSL on max - we gig a lot and just trying to think of the lo hearing. I can cope quite well with my current tinnitus level but don't want it getting worse.

Thanks

Rich

Will55555

Reaction score
I have no idea how many dbs it will push out at max volume but what about trying earplugs (The pro ones) ? That would solve your problem would it not?

Richardjordan

Reaction score
Cheers will55555, I do use plugs at the moment although any plug will reduce the quality of tone etc and I find it hard to sing backing with them in. I suppose the easiest route is to buy a db meter but they are about £20 - £30 and was hoping that it could just be calculated by knowing certain things about the amp etc.

I was at a gig the other week and they were hitting 115db which was honestly hurting my ears.

Doug_1970

Reaction score
I'd suggest that you don't have enough information to do the calculation, and even if you did, it wouldn't be much help as dB is a relative measurement. The size of the room that you're playing in will also have a big impact - put your stack in a field and then in your bathroom and you'll find a big difference in dB.

The SPL is pretty meaningless unless it comes with the information about the distance from the speaker that it was measured at, the power level, frequency (or preferably a range of frequencies) and the axis. I'm guessing that the SPL figure on your cab has more to do with marketing than science.

The sensitivity would be more useful - which should be measured at 1m using 1w.

The rule of thumb used in industry is that if you need to shout to make yourself heard from 2m away, then you should wear earplugs. However, if this was taken as read then everyone in a club or gig would be wearing them. My guess is that if you're questioning the need for earplugs, then you should probably get some.

Last edited:

poeman33

Reaction score
They are sooooo many variables, that you are not going to be able to figure out an exact number with just paper statistics. And why would it make any difference? It will be loud...wear earplugs.