plexi 1987x so loud on 0,5 volume.

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
Fuzz, well done......
This one is cheap and sounds really organic with a 4 holer! I believe the OP would benefit from 25W speakers as well. Either 1 or a quad. Nothing inbetween. If having gone this far might as well throw some decent glass in it! What the hell.. Its only money :drool:

Beryllium-9

Reaction score
you guys act like you know for sure that he's an experienced player & Marshall guy. Maybe this is his 1st amp... ever :shrug:

In that case, you can't expect him to have the knowledge that many of us, in here have.

& if he's not an electronics tech, he probably won't understand clipping bright cap's, etc...

Maybe the OP can tell us his experience level, how long he's been playing, how many amp's he's owned (& what) & if he's an electronics wizard... :)...

then you guys can rouse him...

:welcome:to the forum...

:cheers:
True.. I think he has a Silver Jubilee so maybe this is his first NMV effort.. I takes a lot of work to tame these beasts!!

william vogel

Reaction score
True.. I think he has a Silver Jubilee so maybe this is his first NMV effort.. I takes a lot of work to tame these beasts!!
Not really if you don’t use channel 1 with a bright cap or clip it. I’ve got a 1959 without the cap and I can get it manageable. I understand about the lack of MV but I’d think that one would do the research and test play one before buying. I like loud and play my 1959 on 6 jumpered no attenuation full stack.

Crikey

Reaction score
Hi,

ive got my new 1987x amp running through my 1936 cab loaded with one vintage 30 16 ohm and one gt12-75 16 omh. i put 2 speaker cables into my cab.
ive got the ohm switcher on the 1987x on 8 ohm, but when i roll the volume on 0,5 is so extremly loud en very noisy. i dont no whats happening. I do the same thing with my silver jubilee 50w and i can put the volume on like 3 or 4.

Does anybody now whats going on here?
Rofl.,your first time with a non master volume Marshall? Lol
You will need an attenuator as suggested by your fellow MFers.
Lots to learn but your at the right place.

Last edited:

James Freeman

Reaction score
There is no volume on a plexi, you have 6 gain controls, especially on the Treble channel.
On 1 out of 10 the amp delivers its maximum power and get further distorted from there.

gkelm

Reaction score
Like the others have indicated, loud is normal, but noisey? Check it with a single speaker/cable.

If everything is as it should be, this is the reason I use Aracom attenuator—just to gain some flexibility on lower volume. As suggested. Dirt pedals will work great with this amp.

jhs5150

Reaction score
Hi,

ive got my new 1987x amp running through my 1936 cab loaded with one vintage 30 16 ohm and one gt12-75 16 omh. i put 2 speaker cables into my cab.
ive got the ohm switcher on the 1987x on 8 ohm, but when i roll the volume on 0,5 is so extremly loud en very noisy. i dont no whats happening. I do the same thing with my silver jubilee 50w and i can put the volume on like 3 or 4.

Is the volume the same on both channels? Try the other channel if you haven't already. It could be a bad pot. My 2204 MV pot was doing the same thing and it turned out it was a non-linear pot, install by the factory. I installed a linear- taper pot as should have been installed at the factory - problem solved! I guess the factory ran out of the proper pot and put in the wrong substitute.

colchar

Reaction score
you guys act like you know for sure that he's an experienced player & Marshall guy. Maybe this is his 1st amp... ever :shrug:

He didn't try the amp before he bought it? He didn't have access to Google to do thirty seconds worth of research into the amp before buying it?

sammth

Reaction score
Not really if you don’t use channel 1 with a bright cap or clip it. I’ve got a 1959 without the cap and I can get it manageable. I understand about the lack of MV but I’d think that one would do the research and test play one before buying. I like loud and play my 1959 on 6 jumpered no attenuation full stack.
thats the problem, nowadays there is no shop where you can test things like this. Its order, test, keep or return.

PelliX

Reaction score
thats the problem, nowadays there is no shop where you can test things like this. Its order, test, keep or return.

I'd say the choices are clear; get an MV amp or an attenuator. I can't tell you whether you would like MV amp like a DSL or a JCM more, but never get fooled into buying something like a "smaller" non-MV amp. Diming a Studio Vintage (aka SV20) or DSL5 is still "bloody loud" indoors, generally. If you're happy with the tone of the 1987, build or get an attenuator. Like @Marcomel79 suggested, the JohnH is really nice and doesn't break the bank, even if you get someone to build it for you, generally.

colchar

Reaction score

There are plenty of stores where you can test them. I can try a 1987X at my local store today if I want. Just because there are none local to you does not mean they don't exist.

william vogel

Reaction score
I should build and market a 0.5 watt 1987 and a 1 watt 1959. I don’t see the need in absorbing the wattage and converting it into heat just to lower volume.

Up The Steen

Reaction score
Hi,

Hey mate, I have just got the exact same amp and yes it is loud.
An attenuator is the way to go here. I personally don't use one but I only ever play through an amp with a band.

As I mentioned before, these amps are designed for the stage.

The tone is absolutely amazing obviously but a big part of that classic tone is the volume.

Up The Steen

Reaction score
What's a cheaper option is to use a hotcake or something like that in front and turn down the volume with that.

But yeah, the volume is part of the package with these amps.

william vogel

Reaction score
A 50 watt Marshall is usually makes 52-56 watts clean rms and 95-100 watts full power. Same goes for a 100 watt Marshall. 100-110 watts clean rms and 195-205 watts full power. Marshall doesn’t elevate their ratings to put them into a class, they created the standard for loud and powerful and live up to standard. Other companies place these ratings on their 6L6 amps and they don’t make the cut. I haven’t played a Jubilee but I have a 2204 and it’s no different than a 1987 once the MV has the EL34’s at full power. The wonderful thing about NMV amps is the pick attack and feel. That bright cap on the one channel of a 1987 is what makes it so aggressive. I prefer the 1986 50 watt Bass amp because they have a treble channel without the bright cap and the volume controls are WAY more useable if you want to pull the amp back to 10 to 15 watts. That bright cap bypasses frequencies above maybe 200hz and those frequencies are full power on that channel. The lower the volume setting, the less low end only. Most people turn that channel to about 7 and at that point the brightness is nearly gone but as you turn down more, it only gets brighter. The noise and hiss is because the bypassed frequencies. I wouldn’t recommend the removal of the cap unless I knew it was beneficial. An EQ pedal can bring back the brightness to the now tame amp or you’ll definitely need an attenuator. The magical sound of that amp is in the output section and a MV control will not replace the output overdrive.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
There are plenty of stores where you can test them. I can try a 1987X at my local store today if I want. Just because there are none local to you does not mean they don't exist.

What's your local store? Got a website?

Latest posts