How much did a JMP cost back in the day?

• Thread starter Human Steve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Human Steve

Reaction score
I know what they're going for now, but how much did these amps go for brand new back in the 70s? I can't seem to find info anywhere and I'm real curious.
Have they increased in value since then or are they about the same?

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
My first Marshall JMP MK II 2204 50 watt a 1979' model I bought used at my local shop in 1982' for $375.

Paid 90 days same as cash.

I didn't even have a cab but I had a Les Paul and knew I had to have that "sound"..

Shortly after bringing it home a friend sold me a 2x12 with G12M Greenbacks and I was on my way. :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::shred:

sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea but remember it was ALOT of money then.

I always found them used and abused so they were dirt cheap. Still have one from those days.

johnfv

Reaction score
My first Marshall was a 4104 combo in the early '80s. I don't remember exact prices but it was a *big* purchase for me at the time. In general Marshalls were more than I could afford growing up, fortunately Fenders were cheap and plentiful. I got the Marshall as soon as I could scrape the money together.

peterichardz

Reaction score
I bought my first Marshall in 1969 at Diffiori's Music on Lorain Rd. in Cleveland on a monday after seeing Joe Walsh trying out a full stack at the Hullabaloo in N. Ridgeville the saturday before! I payed $1200 for the full 100 watt stack!
I bought my '77 50 watt Master Model JMP's new and payed $600 for each half stack! It was early 1978 and the store was going out of buisness!

Human Steve

Reaction score
I bought my first Marshall in 1969 at Diffiori's Music on Lorain Rd. in Cleveland on a monday after seeing Joe Walsh trying out a full stack at the Hullabaloo in N. Ridgeville the saturday before! I payed $1200 for the full 100 watt stack!
I bought my '77 50 watt Master Model JMP's new and payed $600 for each half stack! It was early 1978 and the store was going out of buisness!

:applause: WOW! I assume you still have those?! Very Cool!

I guess it is different comparing those prices to modern currency value, but I feel it's still cheaper compared with the damage these do to you're wallet these days!

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
:applause: WOW! I assume you still have those?! Very Cool!

I guess it is different comparing those prices to modern currency value, but I feel it's still cheaper compared with the damage these do to you're wallet these days!

It hasnt really changed man. It sounds cheap but wages were nowhere near what they are today.

Its all comparative

johnfv

Reaction score
...I guess it is different comparing those prices to modern currency value, but I feel it's still cheaper compared with the damage these do to you're wallet these days!
I'm not saying they are cheap now but Marshalls were relatively expensive back then. You gotta remember that around this same time (late '70s) when you might pay close to $1000 for a 1/2 stack, you could buy AMAZING guitars for under $200. SG and LP juniors for $150, sometimes less. I was buying blackface Fender heads around the same time for $125-$150 (still have one). With my paper route money I could afford vintage Gibson guitars and Fender amps but no way I could afford a Marshall. Here is my blackface Pro Reverb and Firebird I that I bought (used of course) in '76. I don't remember the exact price but I don't think I had more than $400 total in them. Wish I still had them!!!:scratch:
4798d1298592015-lets-see-your-gibsons-firebird1.jpg

My buddy Brian was lucky, his parents bought him this beauty 100 watt 1/2 stack (but of course there's a "the one that got away" story there too). This was a totally staged photo (we never really used the Fender up there) but glad to have some pics. That SG? Pretty sure it was $200:
4741d1298324416-you-dirty-dirty-girl-denversg.jpg

Viking62

Reaction score
I know what they're going for now, but how much did these amps go for brand new back in the 70s? I can't seem to find info anywhere and I'm real curious.

I paid $750 brand new in 1980 for my 2203 JMP, and stupidly sold it 4 years later both quads second hand $200 each

levelx43

Reaction score

Howdy Steve

I'm looking at a price list from Feb '72 from Merson Musical products that was in Westbury NY at that time.

Heads
50 watter $400, w/tremolo $425.
100 watt $550, w/tremolo $575.
Heads & cabinets
50 watts with an 8x10 or a 1935 cab $950.
100 watt stack w/1960 or 1935 cabs $1600
100 watt stack w/1982 cabs $1160

I had posted a copy of this price list a while ago.
Sorry but I'm too lazy right now to go back & search for it.
Search my posts & you'll find it.

Human Steve

Reaction score
johnvf, Awesome pictures! Very cool info guys! So it looks like Marshalls have always been a pretty penny. Interesting to see how other guitars and amps were priced back then too!
I know a guy who picked up an old Plexi in a Pawn shop for $200 in I think the 80's. Long story short, it was eventually destroyed and in pieces. Sad…

johnfv

Reaction score
...I know a guy who picked up an old Plexi in a Pawn shop for...
The NMV amps were "out of fashion" for a while there so many were modded or sold cheap. My '68 Trem plexi had a MV added (later removed). I'm just saying that for several years a Marshall was a dream I could not afford. The original Fender and Marshall designs are still world class today...