How old school are YOU?

• Thread starter Oldpunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Yes I usually play with a straight cord and no noise toys to mess up the signal. However I'm not above using a Tube Screamer for a clean boost.

Many things that are "old school" are old friends to me. Manual transmissions. 1970s Cadillacs with the high beam footswitch on the floor and the gas filler neck behind the license plate. Typewriters, VCRs, reel to reel tapes. Video recorders BEFORE the VCR was invented! Vinyl before the invention of the CD player. Telephones with cords on them. Rotary dial phones.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
Reverb, for me, comes from the room you are in not the amp. At playing volume it just dirties it up IMO, nothing more pure than a clean signal.

Remember though, its all subjective, this is just my personal take on it.
Which room in your house has natural reverb?

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I'm 80's old scool. I plug straight into my pedalboard that plugs straight into my amp. So I plug straight in twice, 3 times if you count the loop. That's more times than anyone that only plugs straight into the amp. Slackers

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I embrace tech. Use whatever pedals are required to do the job. Live, a floor tuner is essential. I like a wah. Modulation in loop. Whatever fun toys I decide to play with to make fun noises.
Depends on one's style and likes. Old school players likely play old school music which is fine. I play harder stuff and like to noodle with toys. I require, or at least like, different effects for different songs.
If one is covering a song live that uses a chorus or flanger is it not preferable to use the same?
Some of those videos make it sound like purists are somehow "better" than one using pedals. Ridiculous.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no shame, I'm a pedal whore.
I must be trying to compensate for something...

:idea: - I use them to make up for a complete lack of talent.
Maybe I should try that. :lol:

My problem is I don't know how to use pedals like delay, flange, chorus, etc... I've tried to use them in the past, but it never worked out for me.

Now, I wasn't being completely honest before because I don't use it very much, but with my Harvard clone I do use pedals, I use a reverb and fuzz.

...and I do use a tuner pedal, but I don't think that counts.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
@DirtySteve check these guys out!
Watch till end

I know these guys. I posted one of their vids a while back in the friday means rawk thread...or the other one, I don't remember which.