How old school are YOU?

• Thread starter Oldpunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

10kDA

Reaction score
Straight in for me, most of the time. On occasion I put a Lester G Leslie pedal in the loop or feed the loop (appropriately) into a looper. If I can't get the tone I want from the amp, I look for a different amp. Hence, the loop doesn't return from the looper, it goes into a DSL40C set as neutral as possible because I can't get the tone I want from it and I use it only as a slave.

dro

Reaction score
I like options. I will set up as many as 6 patches for live.
Bypass
Clean Chorus Echo
Clean Slapback
OD
OD Slapback
OD Echo
I have a reverb pedal on my large board, but never turn it on.
We don't need no stinking reverb.
Usually, if any reverb gets put in the mix, it's added as needed in post.

Reaction score
I'm 80's old scool. I plug straight into my pedalboard that plugs straight into my amp. So I plug straight in twice, 3 times if you count the loop. That's more times than anyone that only plugs straight into the amp. Slackers
Wouldn't 80's old school be plugging into a Bradshaw rack the size of a refrigerator, then straight into the amp?:eddie:

Derrick111

Reaction score
When your amp sound so freaking good strait in that a cable between your guitar and amp is all you need, that's how you do it. ;) I only use pedals occasional when an effect is desired. In old school amps, I want to hear the tube harmonics and the distortion purr old school. An exception might be a fuzz face or clean boost for some things. I do like the tone of many magical vintage pedals and have fun playing with them, but in the end, I tend to plug strait in overall.

yafal

Reaction score
Ok lets see a show of hands....who's pedal board here consists of a cable. How many of you guys plug straight in?
Definitely me. I never ever liked pedalboards of any kind. Just a Polytune and a good old Excalibur cable, which I splitted to insert the tuner. For me, the best tone and feel is always there: guitar & amp.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
When I played in the 70's through the 90's, you could crank it up and let your amp and speakers do the work. I like a little reverb and sometimes maybe a Wah or distortion for a couple of songs. Sometime after the turn of the century, rules and people started to change. Nowadays, many clubs have a noise ordinance, and some won't even allow a hard drummer. That's why I've had to experiment with pedals to get the right sound and tone and lately, even modelers. I still love and prefer to crank up a tube amp when I can.

myklomaniac

Reaction score
I only have pedals that aren't distortion or overdrive related, because my amp does all that so well standalone. I have one Wah, one phase shifter, one delay/echo. Looking at a rotary speaker pedal, but not desperate for it.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
At home? Yeah I dont use fx. Usually I just noodle at home or work on stuff.
Depends where one plays too, I guess, never thought of that as normally I play little at home.
Me too. When I'm practicing or learning a new song by myself at home, I just plug straight into the amp a low volume. This way, I can hear any mistakes and correct it. Using effects are forgiving and will cover up mistakes. On the other hand, if you don't practice at drum level using whatever effects you use, you will not be able to control them properly when live and loud.

taylodl

Reaction score
I usually plug straight into the front of the amp...BUT...I'd be a liar if I didn't mention the overdrive, delay, and reverb pedals I plug into the FX loop!

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 80's old scool. I plug straight into my pedalboard that plugs straight into my amp. So I plug straight in twice, 3 times if you count the loop. That's more times than anyone that only plugs straight into the amp. Slackers
At least you're "Straight". Nothing like plugging straight in twice.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Plugging straight in to a multi channel, high gain amp does not seem old school to me.
Straight in to a vintage single channel is completely different. imo.

I did not think Wlater's cranked tone was all that great in the video linked.