• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How to clean front of Marshall head?

• Thread starter Mojo360
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo360

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently got a second hand JCM 2000 and the previous owner had stuck patches on the front (around the Marshall logo). Now the large bits of blu tack has come off but small white/blue blotches remain.

I was wondering what the best way to go about cleaning this off was?

Water? White spirit?

Or is there some other magical method?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
You could try GooOff but I would try it first in an inconspicuous area first just to make sure. Then go over it with some mild soapy water and immediately suck it up with a wet vac. Maybe others have other ideas??

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
Automotive Brak-leen will take anything gooey off. But try it in a small spot first and use it out doors

Bownse

Reaction score
Brake cleaner will eat through any paint before you can blink. I'd recommend something less aggressive.

shredless

Reaction score
When I have a grille thats is faded or has some odd marks on it... I do this

slide chassis out, remove 4-5 screws that hold that front grille in

the whole "fabric" section comes out with the piping attached

carefully remove the marshall logo by prying gently right next to each pin

mask the piping off with good tape, you can lay it on and tuck it behind, with a little practice it will work easy (however, if you have anything oil based or armor all, etc...you will cry trying to do this)

I use Krylon Satin Black spray paint and lightly spray the cloth till its covered evenly

it may be a little shiny at first but after a few days it tones down and looks factory fresh

Mojo360

Reaction score
When I have a grille thats is faded or has some odd marks on it... I do this

slide chassis out, remove 4-5 screws that hold that front grille in

the whole "fabric" section comes out with the piping attached

carefully remove the marshall logo by prying gently right next to each pin

mask the piping off with good tape, you can lay it on and tuck it behind, with a little practice it will work easy (however, if you have anything oil based or armor all, etc...you will cry trying to do this)

I use Krylon Satin Black spray paint and lightly spray the cloth till its covered evenly

it may be a little shiny at first but after a few days it tones down and looks factory fresh

Would it be possible for me to do this without removing the cloth, obviously I would tape over the binding and the logo and do it outdoors or would the sprayed area stand out against the old finish?

Here are the marks
d6exYoS.jpg

Hawkesman

Reaction score
Yeah, blu tack's a real pain, and a Marshall amp front is one of the worst things to use it on! Ironically, you might be able to remove the worst of it with more blu tack. Get a fresh bit and squeeze it firmly into the residue, just for a second, and then twist a little then pull it off. I've found that doing this repeatedly often gets rid of some of it, and sometimes all of it, as it likes to stick to itself more than anything else. That should get rid of the worst of the surface stuff.

However if it's dried out, or squidged between the fibres of the cloth (which I can see that some of yours is), then it's best to remove these bits mechanically, not chemically. Use something strong and sharp, like a compass point (I use a surgical scalpel), and VERY carefully and gently pick it out, bit-by-bit, to avoid damage to the cloth. Slow is better, as once a bit of it is moving it tends to drag more out with it if you take it easy.

Once you've removed all that you can, then any little bits that are left that you can't remove (or if you don't want to risk damaging the cloth) can be touched up with a good-quality pointed black permanent marker. Make sure it's a good one though, as some of the so-called black ones are actually more like very dark blue. Any areas you treat with a marker you should then rub over firmly with your thumb to avoid any shininess.

Good luck!

Mojo360

Reaction score
Yeah, blu tack's a real pain, and a Marshall amp front is one of the worst things to use it on! Ironically, you might be able to remove the worst of it with more blu tack. Get a fresh bit and squeeze it firmly into the residue, just for a second, and then twist a little then pull it off. I've found that doing this repeatedly often gets rid of some of it, and sometimes all of it, as it likes to stick to itself more than anything else. That should get rid of the worst of the surface stuff.

However if it's dried out, or squidged between the fibres of the cloth (which I can see that some of yours is), then it's best to remove these bits mechanically, not chemically. Use something strong and sharp, like a compass point (I use a surgical scalpel), and VERY carefully and gently pick it out, bit-by-bit, to avoid damage to the cloth. Slow is better, as once a bit of it is moving it tends to drag more out with it if you take it easy.

Once you've removed all that you can, then any little bits that are left that you can't remove (or if you don't want to risk damaging the cloth) can be touched up with a good-quality pointed black permanent marker. Make sure it's a good one though, as some of the so-called black ones are actually more like very dark blue. Any areas you treat with a marker you should then rub over firmly with your thumb to avoid any shininess.

Good luck!

I shall give this a try, as long I get the worst off I shall be happy. And never shall I put blu tack on the front (not that I would anyway). :shrug:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what "blue tack" is. Is it like adhesive from what was stuck on there? If that's all it is, take a piece of duct tape and make a loop around your hand with it, with the adhesive facing out. Then just stick it to the cloth and pull it away repeatedly. Any pieces that are not semi-permanantly stuck will be pulled off by the duct tape. If it's too hardened for this to work, you could try heating it with a hair dryer first to soften it.

Mojo360

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what "blue tack" is. Is it like adhesive from what was stuck on there? If that's all it is, take a piece of duct tape and make a loop around your hand with it, with the adhesive facing out. Then just stick it to the cloth and pull it away repeatedly. Any pieces that are not semi-permanantly stuck will be pulled off by the duct tape. If it's too hardened for this to work, you could try heating it with a hair dryer first to soften it.

Yeah its a brand of the stuff you would usually stick posters to a wall with (ie in each corner of the poster). I shall give this a try also.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Lighter fluid or WD40 will remove those sticky type of adhesives , then do as Shredless explained. Works for me every time.

Hawkesman

Reaction score
Mojo - I agree that lighter fluid works on many adhesives, but blu tack is not an adhesive and it won't be effective. WD40 will stain the fibres, and won't allow you to work the blu tack out where it is deeply ingrained. Spraying it will certainly cover it up, but it would irritate me just knowing that the damned stuff is still there! Did you try my suggestions, and if so did they work? Just curious!

freightliner009

Reaction score
I wouldn't use WD40 either, it has a habit of rotting things over time. As suggested earlier try picking it out first, a scalpel is a bit drastic, one slip and you could damage the cloth, try a cocktail stick first. Any loose bits after picking,try using gently dabbing the cloth with the sticky side of some Sellotape.

Latest posts