• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How to remove light dust from cabs

• Thread starter Back to Marshall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John Stedman

Reaction score
I use a dry micro-fiber cloth for light dust and a dry nylon bristle nail brush for grill cloth. It's a tad expensive for the size of the bottle and I was dubious at first, but took a chance and Music Nomad All Purpose Amp & Case is amazing for deeper cleaning and conditioning and a little goes a long way.

Last edited:

60bassman

Reaction score
Clean thoroughly with the most expensive cleaner you can find, then build a clean room in your house similar to those in a hospital. Move the equipment in there and wrap in plastic. I wonder if Duane Allman, Beck, Clapton or Page have ever read some of these posts. It's like some people pay to relic gear, others don't want to touch it for fear of losing value.

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
I'm starting to get dust on my Amp Head and cabinets (black). I'm wondering how others remove the dust without rubbing it in or discoloring the cab.
These are the 1960 A and B Lead cabinets.
Thanks. Karl
I used some soap and water with a scrub brush, and lightly scrub it. Then I wipe it off with a paper towel. It works great. I use a stronger household cleaner spray, if I’m trying to get rid of cigarette smoke.

Smokey77

Reaction score
when I bought my cabs in the ‘70’s they got beer poured on them as well as a million other fluids I’m quite sure….I think a touch of character soaks into them somehow… clean up is fairly simple as that tolex can take a hard hard beating throughout a long LONG life without showing it… mine still look great

G the wildman

Reaction score
Nora, just dust it!!!

Then and only then use a damp cloth if you have to.

Polish and the like will only be required if it is tarnished.

G

p3x

Reaction score
I'm starting to get dust on my Amp Head and cabinets (black). I'm wondering how others remove the dust without rubbing it in or discoloring the cab.
These are the 1960 A and B Lead cabinets.
Thanks. Karl
I use a vacuum cleaner with a clean brush head for normal dust. It's soft enough to not leave marks and stirs up the dust to get sucked in. Also works well on the grill cloth - even between the Marshall logos.

Webslinger

Reaction score
I used a static-duster, the type they used on showcars. You just cant let it build up too much, prior.
new_pole_yellow_final_replaced_logo_jpg_17b12df5-0ff1-44f3-a4c2-61e38ccc7ca1.jpg

AML

Reaction score
Just cleaned up a VERY dusty Burman combo cab:
1 - dry dust with a medium-stiff brush - do this outside
2 - then used a damp cloth going slowly in circles trying to press the fibres into the grain 'valleys'
3 - dried with a new cloth to remove the water and any limescale that it contains
4 - then used a vinyl cleaner (like cabriolet cleaner) with a new cloth to bring up the finish

That combo had sat for 12 years in a dry but dusty industrial unit. Now looks super.

(ISTM that most dust is easily removed, but more difficult cleaning is required for anything gloopy. That can dry so hard that it has become almost impervious to water and cleaning fluids.)

John Stedman

Reaction score
That can dry so hard that it has become almost impervious to water and cleaning fluids.)

That was my '87 Marshall JCM 800 2205 when I first bought it from a craigslist seller. Dirt ground into the top so bad I had to use Fantastic spray and an X-acto knife to wet it / scrape it off, took me a week on and off.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lower the amp into a vat of H²SO⁴ and let is soak for awhile.

It will emerge squeaky clean and will be much lighter and easy to carry.

themanfromars

Reaction score
another effective option are horsehair shoe polish brushes, you can get them pretty cheap on amazon. The small applicator ones are a bit stiffer and good for corners and the large hand held ones are good for the flat surfaces and they wont damage the tolex.

I was also turned on to cleaning real grimy tolex using Meguiar's convertible top cleaner. You don't need much and it works well when you cut it with a bit of water. I've been able to restore some real dirty gear and get a clean finish without any residue or sheen like an protectant type product does (Armour All for example). A final clean water brush & blot dry finishes it up nicely.