• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

How you justify your multi amps ownership?

• Thread starter byrdparis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

byrdparis

Reaction score

First of all; I know it's like a delicate subject cuz we all a bit nuts! (me including of course!!), but I see a lot of the members in here and in other forums that related to gear, having a great amount of amps and guitars.. (Same q to owning a lot of axes too no doubt).

So we have got the simple answer that will relate the tonal differences that we can get from each gear we have ok.. different amps, guitars, fx's etc.
but as I always state – I'm only play like 2-3 genres at the most.. why on earth do I need 5 different amps?? (Some guys getting more of the same sometimes)

I am in no way BASHING!!! No one on the subject.. just look at my list in my sig… (and this is a fraction from what I had in 20 years)…I'm in it like the worst\best of you!
For me its just plain FUN, I love to wake up in the morning and see my walls full of guitars hanging on them and a lot of Marshalls keeping my space occupied.
But every once in a while I asking my self do I rely need all of this? Does it make me truly happy? Do I play enough?

I'm sorry if something was lost in translation… my bad English keeping me awake on my toes, but I still fell a bit on occasions. So no harm or dismissing was in tended!

chuckelator

Reaction score
It's like people who like to collect anything else. They do it because they like it.

And beside that, none of the amps I own sound anything alike. Granted, I'm in a band that plays one style of music, but having options is really fun.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
marshalls are not like like kitchen tables...you buy a marshall and you know someday you flip it over and get cash for it..

byrdparis

Reaction score
marshalls are not like like kitchen tables...you buy a marshall and you know someday you flip it over and get cash for it..

but its not justify a lot of them though (I know I can flip it over but in my case, they will sell a lot cheaper then when I got them new)
i think the main reason to ask that question is if maybe its better get one or two amps that can do exactly what ever we were after and call it the day.
i guess we just guys who love our gears and like to have as much as we can afford .. cuz it fill some nice time in our life's.
for me it’s a matter of an escape from realty for time to time…
I have a boring office day job from 7 to 5 a wife, kid and a mortgage to pay…
So an hour or two a day with my toyz… are very welcome from my part.

Keeb

Reaction score
I "only" own a 2203 and a 6100.

I live in an apartment so the 2203 doesn't get much play time (I have a 5w amp for home use) but the 6100 is in the rehearsal space and get "aired out" regularly.
When I bought them I reasoned that I would never sell them and I might as well get them while I had the money and opportunity. (I live in northern Sweden so it's not like they appear every other week on craigslist.)

The 2203's time will come. When I finish school and buy a house!

When it comes to guitars I'm happy with my current set up (Kramer, ESP LTD les paul-type and a Fender Jaguar).
I could spend maybe $3000-$3500 and get a Gibson LP and a Fender Telecaster, which I intend to do later on in life.

I guess I justify this by thinking that people my age take loans to buy cars they don't need/can afford, which is a lot worse investment money-wise.

Also, I never loan money for gear. All is paid cash.

Edit; To clarify my car comparison:
Some people will take a loan and buy a car for $10000. I bought a VW Golf for $1800, cash. You might need a car to get to work, but you don't need to put yourself in debt to do it.

So yeah, playing guitar and building pedals is my hobby, so I'll spend money on it. It doesn't have to make sense or "add up" as long as it doesn't hurt me financially.

byrdparis

Reaction score
Who do I have to justify it to? And why should I? Just sayin.

you don't have to do anything...:) and for any one.
I'm just thinking with you guys, out loud.
It's basically something I'm doing every time i want to buy for my self some new gear..
"do i really need it?"
"how its different with what i've got already?"
"can\should i buy something else that is more appealing or important (in any form) for my hobby?"
etc...

it's something that I'm debating with my self each time i seeing something interesting in CL or in the local music shop around the corner...

a couple of weeks ago, a friend who have a music store, call me and told me that he is moving a few stores to his right for a bigger place and he starting some "SALE" on his stock. if I can bring some guys and spread the word, it will help him immensely. I was happy to so and also drop him a visit to see for myself if there any thing I would want to buy… (Good prices and such.. )
I've looked around and nothing caught my eyes.. (he keeps his inventory in the mid level prices stuff – no marshall's ;-) ) Except an ORANGE TYNY TEROR head amp (SE Asia made one) that he was labeled it for me pretty low!!!
I was tempting to grab that mini lunchbox white and orange little amp and go on my way but In the same time i was thinking that … I just don’t need it…
I've already got Fender hot rode deluxe and a JVM410H and have nothing to do with that little amp at home. I was truly know that the orange amp will stay in his bag and not come out at my place…ever. (ok may be for a trial once or twice)

In the end; other friend of mine and my self bought this little amp (50\50) and donate it to some school in the city for there music room (he also got a shit load of gear and was debating on the same issues about the orange amp).

Just for sharing..

im sorry for my bad eng.

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
Gotcha, justify to yourself. I try to make sure what ever I get amp wise covers different ground than what I have. I doubt that I need any of it, it's really just my drug of choice to play guitar and wash the day away. But my list of gear is weak compared to most others.
I did just have a time when I bought this Les Paul. It was a situation of want/need. I turned it into my own Xmas present for justification.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
if I could have a small collection I'd be happy but i would rent them out to the local studios to recoup the expense of buying them and get a few more.
here's what I'd like to work on after I'm done w/ my studio gear.

early 70's superlead 100 or YJM
JCM800 2203 & 2204
JVM or DSL100
Fender Supersonic 22 2x12
Fender Bassman w/ 4x10 cab
Roland JC120
Lab Series L5
Randall RG80
Baron k88 & snott watt
Baron Custom Amps - K Series
Baron Custom Amps - Snott Watt

byrdparis

Reaction score
Gotcha, justify to yourself. I try to make sure what ever I get amp wise covers different ground than what I have. I doubt that I need any of it, it's really just my drug of choice to play guitar and wash the day away. But my list of gear is weak compared to most others.
I did just have a time when I bought this Les Paul. It was a situation of want/need. I turned it into my own Xmas present for justification.

:thumb:
i need to answer to the misses from time to time.. so once in a while il go for the "birthday (sorry no Xmas here) present" my self. :naughty:

byrdparis

Reaction score
if I could have a small collection I'd be happy but i would rent them out to the local studios to recoup the expense of buying them and get a few more.
here's what I'd like to work on after I'm done w/ my studio gear.

early 70's superlead 100 or YJM
JCM800 2203 & 2204
JVM or DSL100
Fender Supersonic 22 2x12
Fender Bassman w/ 4x10 cab
Roland JC120
Lab Series L5
Randall RG80
Baron k88 & snott watt
Baron Custom Amps - K Series
Baron Custom Amps - Snott Watt

my biggest problem is "room" - space issues... and money of course.
il bet everyone in here will get a TON of gear if they will have the dough and the space to put everything in it.

edit: thanks for the links, i didnt know them before.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
my biggest problem is "room" - space issues... and money of course.
il bet everyone in here will get a TON of gear if they will have the dough and the space to put everything in it.

edit: thanks for the links, i didnt know them before.

I know all about the room issue.lol I live in a small farm house that looks like a music store 1/2 the time.
Baron makes some great stuff and not too well known yet.it's pretty much a 1 man operation.

Pleximan

Reaction score
I can only play one rig at a time, but it sure is nice to be able to mix them up and experiment with different configurations.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't.

Since I don't gig anymore, it is difficult to convince the wife more than 3 is necessary.
In addition, the 6-8 PA amps are another hurdle, although they get used more often than my guitar amps. Lately the Fender Princeton Reverb has been my go-to rig, such sweet tone from a tiny amp...

Argued about a DSL40c last night. Probably have to let the PR go....:shock:

plexilespaul

Reaction score
but its not justify a lot of them though (I know I can flip it over but in my case, they will sell a lot cheaper then when I got them new)
i think the main reason to ask that question is if maybe its better get one or two amps that can do exactly what ever we were after and call it the day.
i guess we just guys who love our gears and like to have as much as we can afford .. cuz it fill some nice time in our life's.
for me it’s a matter of an escape from realty for time to time…
I have a boring office day job from 7 to 5 a wife, kid and a mortgage to pay…
So an hour or two a day with my toyz… are very welcome from my part.

yeah i can relate to that:)