Hum in every position except neck and middle - How can i fix it ?

• Thread starter narcsoul
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narcsoul

Reaction score
Hello!

I have an HM Fender strat with a tonerider classics 2 Bridge and Dimarzio fast track 1 Neck.. Middle is its HM pickup. There is hum / noise in EVERY position except neck and middle. What it may cause that ? Can you help me ?

Thannks in advance

narcsoul

Reaction score
a luthier just changed the pickups but he told me is from the polarity of the pickups ( 3 different manufacturers )
tonerider - hm - dimarzio

jmp45

Reaction score
a luthier just changed the pickups but he told me is from the polarity of the pickups ( 3 different manufacturers )

I was going to post that could be the issue. I have a dimarzio in the bridge and a couple parker singles in a strat and that was an issue that needed to get sorted out. turned out whomever had the singles prior marked them wrong for neck and middle. Switched them around, problem solved.

junk notes

Reaction score
can i fix it if i change the middle pickup with a noiseless one ?
You are on to something there, but how did this happen? Did the guitar come that way, or was there a pickup change.
So in there now you have a humbucker in the bridge, a singlecoil in the middle, and a stacked or noise-cancelling singlecoil in the neck.
If you go with a noiseless in the middle, that with the bridge humbucker and noiseless neck, then you will be in need of a proper multi pole pickup selector switch IMO.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello!

I have an HM Fender strat with a tonerider classics 2 Bridge and Dimarzio fast track 1 Neck.. Middle is its HM pickup. There is hum / noise in EVERY position except neck and middle. What it may cause that ? Can you help me ?

Thannks in advance
Open up the guitar and check all the wiring, look for a bad ground and that the guitar is wired right.

Last edited:

narcsoul

Reaction score
You are on to something there, but how did this happen? Did the guitar come that way, or was there a pickup change.
So in there now you have a humbucker in the bridge, a singlecoil in the middle, and a stacked or noise-cancelling singlecoil in the neck.
If you go with a noiseless in the middle, that with the bridge humbucker and noiseless neck, then you will be in need of a proper multi pole pickup selector switch IMO.
neck and bridge are not humming by themselves actually/ Position 1 and 5 are free of hum thats why asked if a noiseless single coil in the middle woulf fix the hum on the other positions.

Bull Rock

Reaction score
I have a DMZ SD humbucker in the bridge and a fender telecaster single in the neck of my Charvel...the tech that wired it said I may have to change the pot and he had to wire it a certain way to avoid weirdness...its silent...the only noise is rock n roll. Check your wiring, maybe call that tech back for a redo.

junk notes

Reaction score
neck and bridge are not humming by themselves actually/ Position 1 and 5 are free of hum thats why asked if a noiseless single coil in the middle woulf fix the hum on the other positions.
oh, I see neck and middle from your OP. I think you meant to say except neck and bridge in the OP.

Hello!

Thannks in advance

What year HM? toggle switch?
Wired correctly with the current pickup config, you will have hum in the middle position. I agree, not in positions 2 and 4.

Alright cool.
As others have said, check your wiring. Check it with Fender HM wiring. Or a search for HSH wiring. Could be as simple as reversing the singlecoil wires.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The bridge and neck are humbucking. You need a middle pickup that is reverse wound/reverse polarity to the one that's in there now if you want to retain the same wiring and a middle pickup which is single coil. when auto splitting either humbucker.

Or install a humbucking middle pickup. But then you will also need to watch the polarity of which coils are auto-split to which coil of the middle humbucker.

Or try a rewire to auto split to the other coils of the humbuckers.

narcsoul

Reaction score
so is it better to put in the middle a noiseless single coil or a mini humbucker to achieve hum cancelling in all positions ?

junk notes

Reaction score
so is it better to put in the middle a noiseless single coil or a mini humbucker to achieve hum cancelling in all positions ?
This is how your current config should function. The humbucker in the neck would be the hum-cancelling or noiseless stacked singlecoil. Again, with your config, position 3 (center) would still hum.

RG1070PBZ_pickup_select.jpg

if you wanted all three humcancelling - with noise cancelling pickups in all positions, then you (your luthier) would have to change out the pickup selector switch to achieve that.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
If you want all positions yes. If the middle pickup is not noiseless it will hum when the middle pickup alone is selected. This would be the case even if wired so that all the other positions/combinations didn't hum.

narcsoul

Reaction score
so finally i changed middle pickup with a noiseless fender hot and now i have hum in positions 4 and 5!! Any suggestions ??