I am amazed how many seasoned guys can not string a guitar properly

• Thread starter richieG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
some guys, even guys who play well and have played for years and years dont change their strings but twice a fuckin year haha

that drives me nuts...but thats how some guys roll

tonefreak

Reaction score
i only change my strings when i can afford to... right now i got 2 guitars with completly dead strings and another with halfway decent strings, an amp with a blown tube, an amp that really needs a small cabinet to to match it and a hardcase for a guitar thats really getting beat up...

but i can set up a guitar like nobody's business. all of my guitar playing friends have me do their set ups for them.

richieG

Reaction score
The Original Fender "Fully Synchronized Tremolo" is a masterpiece when set up correctly :cool:

They are a bit tricky and fiddly to get right, but you are correct, once they are setup properly they are great.

Still easier than a floyd.

I was doing guitar repairs when floyds were all the rage. They are a pain in the arse. I actually made some tools to make life easier for floyd setups. A simple lowering of the action can be a traumatic experience for a newb.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
thats when i learned what a setup was, when i had a floyd.

i didnt mind it at first. i thought it was cool you could reuse the string when it broke haha

speaking of overusing strings...

after a bit, i just blocked it up and took the bar off. that eliminated 90% of the headaches

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I never had a problem w/ Floyds except for the eventual freezing up of the rollers from sweat no matter how well you cleaned the thing.
I liked the Kahler FR copy better as it had more travel on the fine tuners.

Les Pauls are just no brainers- I stretch the string well while putting them on & they stay in tune for a month easily. GHS & S.I.T. strings last forever too.I just change them when they start to sound dull.

SuperBeaver

Reaction score
fuck-you.jpg

Should have pressed the Fuck You button on him...

dmnall

Reaction score
Is this the correct thread to say: Floyd Rose systems are the "Taco Bell" of whammy systems

ugh... what complete crap (sorry) as you were gentlemen...

On my Jackson with a Schaller and at first I thought it was going to be a pita but I had to readjust the system and it was fine, I had it double checked when I had dual emg 81s installed and my old hs math teacher happens to be a luthier. Set it up said I was not too far off. But anytime I change strings on it, pretty easy, an old 9 volt battery with electrical tape does wonders lol.

I hated changing and tuning strings on my floating bridge Ibanez. Once I got a hardtail Strat, then the Les Paul, I haven't touched the Ibanez.

I only miss the whammy a little bit, not enough to justify the pain in the ass.

My strat, lps and baritone are easier to set up but the jackson is not too hard for me, a little more involved but not a total pita..

The Original Fender "Fully Synchronized Tremolo" is a masterpiece when set up correctly :cool:

I agree my strat does have a nice trem but I still say FR/Schallers are great with a little more work but not too bad. lol

They are a bit tricky and fiddly to get right, but you are correct, once they are setup properly they are great.

Still easier than a floyd.

I was doing guitar repairs when floyds were all the rage. They are a pain in the arse. I actually made some tools to make life easier for floyd setups. A simple lowering of the action can be a traumatic experience for a newb.

True for the noob but once it is done a couple of times it is not too bad lol!

Cheers,
Charlie

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
floaters suck.

even the non floaters....i have to load up 4 or 5 springs, and crank em down to keep the bridge from lifting on string bends. i hate that shit.

floaters are worse, as they are literally impossible to keep from lifting on string bends. break a string mid-song? forget it, your tuning is toast.

and if you dont change your strings one at a time, your in for some extra tuning exercises to get it back where it needs to be. not worth the hassle to me.

and after years of use with the floyd, the pivot points get worn out and the whole bridge shifts forward. not to mention the siezing of the blocks and saddle parts from sweat and atmospheric moisture.

i had to replace several saddles on my old floyd b/c the aluminium or whatever alloy was literally disintegrating.

johnfv

Reaction score
If you have to pull up, I have a floating Wilkinson that locks when you let the whammy bar go. Stays in tune pretty well but you can pull up like crazy. I like vintage Strat trem setup for down only.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
I can change strings, yo! PROOF!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g35olMcVEhA]String Changing 101: The S-bend Method - YouTube[/ame]

Hipshot

Reaction score
I can't understand it myself either.

How to properly string a bass guitar, an acoustic guitar or an electric guitar was one of the earliest things I learned as a guitar player.
I also set up all my guitars by myself. Any guitar player should.

I string it by giving it three fingerwidths of excess string, fold the string downwards and make one or two windings on top of the peg and the rest down below to get a clamping effect around where the string enters the hole. This gives me even and neat coils of strings around the peg and stable tuning. And I cut off the excess strings and I hate seeing guitars with hairy headstocks where people don't. It looks sloppy and incompetent.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate when the extra strings have been clipped off leaving a short bit therre waiting to prick your finger and just looking bad. From the beginning my dad showed me to just bend the string back and forth until it breaks off flush with the tuning peg. Looks MUCH better.

David :cheers:

Hipshot

Reaction score
What are your hands doing across the tuning pegs and not the fretboard? :D

You simply bend them downwards so you don't end up with blood testers on the headstock.

Latest posts